The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it even possible to pull the bowl out of a 2003 E350 7.3l w/single alt, for a complete bench cleaning/ o-ring replacement? ( Thanks to dieselorings.com fantastic fast service from you guys!) They have it all, don't buy oem...
I have the dreaded fuel bowl leak....
Do I need to pull the HPOP to get it out the front?
I'm really concerned about the fuel lines, and keeping them clean, not to mention trying to replace the sleeves on them
Or do I order new downpipes, and a complete turbo gasket/o-ring kit, pull it all and then take it out from the back side.
I love my van, but whoever engineered specific system this is.....
That filter has absolutely no business being left in the same location as the F series.
As a 35 year vet of the marine industry, I'm amazed at the lack of planning. ITS THE FILTER!!!!
How hard is it to just remote the whole thing to a location that can be reached and serviced by a normal sized human..
Not to mention the failure of the oem rings,(which you will get again from ford if you go that route...DONT!)
Has anyone actually been able to remove this and if so, any tips would be great.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
In a truck it is easy, I have not done a van so am little help in that department. One thing I have started doing before I would on any engine part is give it a good spray down with Oil-Eater and a hot water flush/wash X 1-3 times as needed. It makes it a lot easier not to worry about getting dirt into open lines/holes.
DENNY

·
Registered
194 Posts
I took the fuel bowl out of mine —twice!

Installed a replacement drain valve the first time. About a year later, the new drain valve started leaking, so removed the fuel bowl again, made a block-off plate to replace the valve.

I also added a big DAHL fuel filter under the van, so the water and lots of crud gets removed before it gets to the stock filter.

To get the bowl out, I just removed the resonator muffler box, and all the other bits and pieces around the fuel bowl. Can’t recall if I removed the alternator or not, but that is easy, anyway.

Did not mess w/ the HPOP, except to loosen the two bolts holding the fuel bowl.

Buy extra fuel line seals, they tend to fall into places where nothing can get them, while trying to install on the ends of the lines:oops:

Reactions: Coolerking

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the fuel bowl out of mine —twice!

Installed a replacement drain valve the first time. About a year later, the new drain valve started leaking, so removed the fuel bowl again, made a block-off plate to replace the valve.

I also added a big DAHL fuel filter under the van, so the water and lots of crud gets removed before it gets to the stock filter.

To get the bowl out, I just removed the resonator muffler box, and all the other bits and pieces around the fuel bowl. Can’t recall if I removed the alternator or not, but that is easy, anyway.

Did not mess w/ the HPOP, except to loosen the two bolts holding the fuel bowl.

Buy extra fuel line seals, they tend to fall into places where nothing can get them, while trying to install on the ends of the lines:oops:
so you pulled it out the front?
Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Reactions: Coolerking

·
Super Moderator
25,439 Posts
Yes they come out the front. This is not a difficult job.
IMO, nearly everything is a difficult job on a van. ;) Except maybe the turbo, which is hanging out right in front of you from inside. I once changed the fan clutch on an older Chevy motorhome on the road using the braille method. What a PITA!.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
IMO, nearly everything is a difficult job on a van. ;) Except maybe the turbo, which is hanging out right in front of you from inside. I once changed the fan clutch on an older Chevy motorhome on the road using the braille method. What a PITA!.
You need to remember that I am a seasoned professional. We are talking about a 7.3L for heavens sake... not a 6.0L. LOL!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok...It wasn't easy but it's done.
Thx to you all for the support and advice, it did come out the front and like anything, I could do it in half the time the second time around.
All cleaned up, full o-ring rebuild, left the cable off as I have a nice Racor fuel water separator mounted inline before the lift pump.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts