The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Job 2 w/ 70K miles on it. I changed the oil yesterday and noticed that the bellhousing was fairly oil soaked. No drips yet, but this is a new development. Any experience with this? I've still got a little mileage on the warranty, but it will need to get looked at ASAP. Please advise. Thanks!

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. I need to get a pic of it to post. I'm taking it in late next week. I'll let you know what I find out! Hope the cab doesn't need to come off...

· Registered
556 Posts
:jester: Like the 6.0's they said it was assembly lube. What a joke.....

· Registered
218 Posts
Same thing with me, starting back in December. Could not find the leak at first since there was so much oil film. So they cleaned up the motor and put dye in the oil. Took two months to show up again, they thought it was the rear main seal, so they replaced that two weeks ago, well, leak is still there, so it's going back in on the 30th to pull the motor. They think it's one of the lower seals or bed plate, but won't know for sure until they put the motor on the stand.

· Registered
487 Posts
Not cool^^
Sorry about that, had it on my 6.0 the entire time I owned it, they never did fix it properly. Hopefully they get it figured out for you though.

· Registered
556 Posts
What a shame that they have to bury these engines is so much spaghetti and it takes a major operation to fix a five dollar part.

· Registered
12 Posts
had same problem with my 6.4 a few weeks ago,dealer found oil filter was leaking, removed the NAPA filter i had installed months before and compared it to the ford filter,their is a difference, replaced it with a ford filter and cap 2 weeks ago and so far so good.

· Registered
533 Posts
Another Cause!

I've got a Job 2 w/ 70K miles on it. I changed the oil yesterday and noticed that the bell housing was fairly oil soaked. No drips yet, but this is a new development. Any experience with this? I've still got a little mileage on the warranty, but it will need to get looked at ASAP. Please advise. Thanks!
Oil leak at rear of engine:
Engines built before serial number 7008584 at Indianapolis or 0436024 at Huntsville may be missing the oil dipstick tube o-ring. This results in an oil leak that may appear as a rear main seal leak. Clean off residual oil and confirm the origin of the leak before repairing. Broadcast Message 6973.
Shawn :smokin:

· Registered
99 Posts
Hello
Is this number part of the Vin ? If not where would I find it ?

· Registered
533 Posts
Not a part number.

Hello
Is this number part of the Vin ? If not where would I find it ?
They are the serial numbers on the motors. The oil leak picture in this thread is of a JOB-1 truck and it could possibly fit in the list of numbers. I'm not sure where the numbers are located on the 6.4 block.

Shawn :smokin:

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just picked mine up today. Couldn't determine source of leak - they put die in the oil. Will take it back for 75K service and hopefully they can find it then! Will keep you posted.

· Registered
234 Posts
My first 2004 6.0 looked like this and they tried to fix it and did more damage the good it never stoped leaking my 2007 6.0 leaks also and I guess it will leak forever because I am not letting them touch it. I have heard its a diesel it is going to leak now I am a beliver. Good luck getting it fixed If its not hitting the ground I would leave it alone JMO

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.