The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay I've just done a small trip down the coast of Tassie and back, which was 312kms which is equivalent to 194 miles and I used 53lts of diesel which is equal to 14 gals with no additives, this I believe works out to be 17 miles per gallon and the terrain was half very steep hills and half flat highway in temperatures of 20 degrees Celsius or 68 degrees F. The average speed we were doing was 80-90 kms = 53 mph and on the flats 110 kms = 68mph. This is with the vehicle and mods in my signature. Is this calculation good, average or bad. Tell me what your 7.3 will do mileage wise.

NYB you can chime in on this one too. >:)

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
According to my math 194/14 = 13.86, not 17
Might be a bit low, but not unexpected depending on how steep those hills were and how fast you were going.
My lifetime mpg is about 15, IIRC. I'd have to go look at my spreadsheet to be sure.

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Kl, never was to good with the Math.
looking at those numbers, 13.86 isn't so good , i forgot to mention i was running a 60hp tune.
what would be a good average mpg for a 7.3 with similar mods?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I get like 12-14 in town. Best on the highway was 18 mpg at 60 mph

So I probably average 15-16 like kl

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
On 60hp DD I average about 13 mpg, in town and my rural road is up and down with S for 20min. Of course my setup is not the best for fuel economy.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
54 Posts
All winter I averaged about 14mpg. That's doing about 65mph average. Last tank was 14.8. I have 3.73 gears and 4x4. I think I can do better but i can't get it any better haha. 6637, 4in turbo back. Dp tuner. 235 tires. Only thing I can think is I need new sticks. Even found me an original black cps. Still haven't gained any mpgs! And I was getting 530-550 miles per tank before the cps recall. So idk.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I am getting 14mpg running 75 on the interstate.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
I get 19-20 mpg at 70-mph (2,000 RPM) on the Interstate but 18 on 2-Lane blacktop with hills.

Reactions: yan7gin

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow, that's good mileage AD.
I think the secret is to get the tank completely full (which is hard when it foams up so much) and do your trip and then do the math on the mileage.
I think in my case the tank is no where near full and it's giving me a false reading.
Next W/end i will test it again and spend the time to fill it right up and then report back.
Do you have your truck tuned yet?
What do you guy's think of this additive, Fuel Doctors Australia

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Fill up until you see the fuel, take a drive and fill it back up until you see the fuel again. If you don't have the harpoon mod like me, well you'll have to stand there and fill it up slowly until you see the fuel. (Can take between 10-15 min start to finish) and record your kms

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
wow, that's good mileage AD.
I think the secret is to get the tank completely full (which is hard when it foams up so much) and do your trip and then do the math on the mileage.
I think in my case the tank is no where near full and it's giving me a false reading.
Next W/end i will test it again and spend the time to fill it right up and then report back.
Do you have your truck tuned yet?
What do you guy's think of this additive, Fuel Doctors Australia
Googs, thanks.

I have a very similar truck to RT and he gets even better fuel economy than me.

I did not buy the DP-Tuner before the holiday sale ended so I am now waiting til next holiday and I am hoping the Econ tune will let me squeeze just a bit more mpg.

In town I get 14.5-15.0 like clockwork.

They quit running the winter diesel in my area the first week of April and I swear I can feel the difference.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Fill up until you see the fuel, take a drive and fill it back up until you see the fuel again. If you don't have the harpoon mod like me, well you'll have to stand there and fill it up slowly until you see the fuel. (Can take between 10-15 min start to finish) and record your kms
Yan,

I do what you have described. I don't know if guys do this or not but I always set the pump handle on the slowest notch during my fuel up. I think it helps prevent foaming but I have no proof.

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Yan, i don't have the H/mod yet.
Yeah I'm thinking that's the case just stand there for an extra half an hour and fill right up. will do!
Thanks mate

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Fuel Doctor.

It looks like this is a great product for storage tanks and focuses on eliminating microbe contamination with a biocide and also focuses on water presence. Both microbial activity and water being common concerns in storage tanks.

But the video I watched did not say anything about the detergents and lubricants it contains. The competitors products it compared it against are not the typical diesel supplements we use in North America so a ready comparison is not easy.

I just read a bit about another product, Wynn's Complete Fuel System Cleaner and it also talks alot about microbes (diesel bugs) so you must have more issue with that than we have over here. Our diesel fuel additives don' typically have a biocide as one of the ingredients.

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes we do have problems with water in fuel further up north, and your right it's more designed for under ground storage tanks, just thought it would be good for a vehicle that not being used for a good period of time.
Still looking for a good additive over here that lubricates the fuel system as we have ULSD ( Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel ) .
It may even up the mileage on some diesels.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
...just thought it would be good for a vehicle that not being used for a good period of time.
Still looking for a good additive over here that lubricates the fuel system as we have ULSD ( Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel ) .
It may even up the mileage on some diesels.
I found a variety of the additives you have available over there and I don't recognize any except for the Liqui-Moly brand. I used to use their products on VW diesels with much success and Nick has mentioned them in the past but...I thought prices were high in Alaska but they are cheap compared your prices.

Supercheap Auto - Search Results for diesel injector cleaner

And this one looked interesting:

Chemtech Diesel Power Fuel Additive - 1 Litre - Supercheap Auto Australia

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Yan,

I do what you have described. I don't know if guys do this or not but I always set the pump handle on the slowest notch during my fuel up. I think it helps prevent foaming but I have no proof.
I'll give it a try next time, I usually go full blast until it release and after really slowly by hand.

Yan, i don't have the H/mod yet.
Yeah I'm thinking that's the case just stand there for an extra half an hour and fill right up. will do!
Thanks mate
No problem. I'm hoping to do the hutch/harpoon mode soon, it will save me lots of time on fill up LOL

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I found a variety of the additives you have available over there and I don't recognize any except for the Liqui-Moly brand. I used to use their products on VW diesels with much success and Nick has mentioned them in the past but...I thought prices were high in Alaska but they are cheap compared your prices.

Supercheap Auto - Search Results for diesel injector cleaner

And this one looked interesting:

Chemtech Diesel Power Fuel Additive - 1 Litre - Supercheap Auto Australia
Yeah, had a look at both those products in Supercheap the other day, but did notice that there was no increase in cetane rating .
Did you see this product ? Rislone Diesel Fuel System Repair - 500mL - Supercheap Auto Australia
Do you have that over there?

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Looks loke Australia requires no greater than 10 ppm sulfur and a minimum Cetane of 46.

The majority of your diesel is refined in Singapore.

EDIT: BP Ultimate Diesel has a minimum Cetane of 50 in Australia.

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
what's the cetane rating of your diesel?
Yes our cetane rating is around 46, the fuel depots haven't really have a definite answer to what it is, can you go over board with the rating?
What did you think of the Rosione fuel additive.
Maybe I'll continue this conversation on your other thread. :winking:

Reactions: yan7gin
1 - 20 of 22 Posts