The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 F250 7.3 2000 F250 7.3 2001 Excursion 7.3 mostly stock all 3
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang.
So I guess I need to get schooled (more, lol)
I'm being told I need to start running some Cetane in fuel.
What do y'all like best that ain't gonna break the bank?
I've always just used Seafoam over the years, or Lucas additives.

Thanks loves.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
What seems to be your problem? Who told you that more Centane is needed? Do they know what Centane does? What part of the country do you live in?
DENNY

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in southwest rural Utah and sometimes Southwest rural Colorado.
Sometimes I run red, driving in the sticks, for real. About 40 miles to town . If the sh*t hits the fan I will be using it.
I don't have a problem per se, at the moment but don't want any in the future.
The person that told me is a retired Ford Diesel mechanic of 20 years that for the last several years has had his own shop. I'm sure he knows what he's talking about.
I'm still learning and will continue to learn more, always. So that is why I asked.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,593 Posts
Just as a FYI, red diesel is the same ultra low sulfur diesel that is taxed but it just has the red dye in it.

A cetain booster will never hurt but it really isn't needed even with the newer diesel.

Here is some light reading for you.

As for me I haven't used any cetain booster in my truck in 26 years. However I have a friend who owns a 6.4 and he used it for about the first year that he owned it but hasn't in the last 12 or so years.

If I put anything into my fuel it is either some Stanadyne Performace formula or some Walmart SuperTech 2 stroke oil..

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
My truck runs great without needing any cetane booster.

I have heard that bio-diesel is good for cetane.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
About 20 years ago you would hear about some parts of the country that had some low cetane levels in the fuel. I have not seen any for a long time. I would do some research and find out what the local fuel has for cetane levels and add only if needed. I have used additives with cetane in the past but it was for the Anti-jell additive that was in the bottle.
DENNY

Reactions: Violet Bee Young

·
Premium Member
9,593 Posts
Actually bio-diesel has a lower cetane level than regular diesel fuel, at least that is what I have read. But it is a better cleaner than regular diesel acting more like a solvent.

I have been trying to remember the last time that I even saw the cetane level marked on a diesel pump and I can't remember if they even label it anymore. But if you find a station that sells premium diesel then they may list it on the pump but I can't remember seeing a station with premium diesel either.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Cetane boosters are okay but not always needed - it is also something where more is not always better, more meaning exceeding the recommended amount. If my memory serves me, once to reach 100 there really is no benefit to adding more. The only time I recommend using a cetane booster is on vehicles with problematic EGR systems like the 6.0LPSD to aid in more complete combustion and promote more complete burning of the hydrocarbons that can cause sticky soot. Another instance might be situations where the fuel quality is suspect. As for a 7.3L PSD I really don't think it is needed but using a booster will not harm anything. Use of an all around fuel conditioner that provides lubricity, cetane and anti-gel protection is your best bet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just as a FYI, red diesel is the same ultra low sulfur diesel that is taxed but it just has the red dye in it.

A cetain booster will never hurt but it really isn't needed even with the newer diesel.

As for me I haven't used any cetain booster in my truck in 26 years. However I have a friend who owns a 6.4 and he used it for about the first year that he owned it but hasn't in the last 12 or so years.

If I put anything into my fuel it is either some Stanadyne Performace formula or some Walmart SuperTech 2 stroke oil..
Cetane boosters are okay but not always needed - it is also something where more is not always better, more meaning exceeding the recommended amount. If my memory serves me, once to reach 100 there really is no benefit to adding more. The only time I recommend using a cetane booster is on vehicles with problematic EGR systems like the 6.0LPSD to aid in more complete combustion and promote more complete burning of the hydrocarbons that can cause sticky soot. Another instance might be situations where the fuel quality is suspect. As for a 7.3L PSD I really don't think it is needed but using a booster will not harm anything. Use of an all around fuel conditioner that provides lubricity, cetane and anti-gel protection is your best bet.
That was kinda what I was thinking...
I've only

Ok, gotcha. I will checkout the link when I get off work. Love Mythbusters! That was one of the few shows I'd actually watch on TV.
Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where I live I wouldn't count on high level cetane, just sayin. Is there one you would recommend for occasional use? Say every 3rd or 4th tank?
I know quite a few that swear on ATF, but I've never used it. May be better with higher mileage engines?
I have 3, 7.3s...241K, 234K and 113K.
The lower mileage one just got new injectors and all that goes with that.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts