The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been routinely getting 18MPG with my 95 E350. I hear stories of people getting 20 and 21 MPG with these things. What are some things I can do to help this along?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've got a 96 7.3 van, I can get 21mpg if it's not loaded down, and the cruise is set on 65mph. (and if it's not fighting a headwind) But I like to cruise about 75-80mph so I don't see 21 to much.:)no:)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Depending on which Rear end you have...a 3:55 for example. At 1850 rpm, you'll 20+ mpg.
Like the Man above said, Head Wind, or Heavy Foot...FORGET ABOUT IT!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
What Curt said. Slow down to 65 or under and use of the CC is the only way I consistently see 20/21/22. Mostly hit the 18 like you do which is not bad considering you are driving a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick. The other method is to plan all your drives so that you have a stiff tail wind...

·
Registered
601 Posts
20mpg I know I have NEVER got even close to it. Maybe 18mpg driving nice

Dont you love those craiglist listings where people boast that their 85 F-350 gets 25mpg's and other over the top Fiction.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Get another E350 van and a tow bar. Drive them both and divide the gallons consumed by 2 before calculating mileage.

The fundamental problem is that a 7.3-liter engine is a lot bigger then necessary. For example:
Sprinter van: 11,000 GVWR, 5,000-pound payload, 188-Hp, 3.0-liter engine
Isuzu Reach van: 12,000 GVWR, 3.0-liter engine
OTR tractor-trailer: 80,000 GVWR, 300-400 Hp, 9-15 liter engine.
If mileage is the priority, either swap engines or swap vans. (and sell it to someone with a heavy trailer who actually needs all that power)

Synthetic oil in the transmission and rear end will improve mileage by 0.5-1 mi/gal. Synthetic oil in the engine will, too, but oil changes will probably be more money than fuel savings.

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Avoid hills, only drive on level roads. Keep a constant speed. Slow down, 55-60. Stay out of town, don't stop; getting up to speed takes fuel. Double check tire pressure, set it on the high side. 203 thermostat. Windows closed, AC off.

Mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
Avoid hills, only drive on level roads. Keep a constant speed. Slow down, 55-60. Stay out of town, don't stop; getting up to speed takes fuel. Double check tire pressure, set it on the high side. 203 thermostat. Windows closed, AC off.

Mike
Don't ask me why cause I don't have an answer, my van gets the SAME mileage with a/c on or off. I've even pulled the wire so the compressor can't engage. Same mileage. I call it a blessing in disguise cuz I like the a/c ON.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I once with nearly a total tank used in Hwy driving saw 22.7mpg (60mph and un loaded.)

But with the 4.10 in my van there is not much that can be done for gas mileage.

With normal city hwy driving and being nice to the van I see 19ish (+/- 0.5) every time I fill. I check with good old fashion log book and calculator.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
The fundamental problem is that a 7.3-liter engine is a lot bigger then necessary. For example:
For example, you used a bunch of way more fancy high-tech engines. The 7.3 liters are necessary if you want to get some power from an IDI. I love my 3 liter Mercedes IDI, but it has like 120HP and 170ft-lb. In order to get the 3750 lb car to move around properly it's geared super low. Top speed is about 100 mph, making it by far the slowest W126. I can beat lots of smaller cars with more horsepower off the line, because I make torque right away... we all know the story. Meanwhile a VW TDI just over 2 liters makes more power AND torque... That's progress, baby.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I've been routinely getting 18MPG with my 95 E350. I hear stories of people getting 20 and 21 MPG with these things. What are some things I can do to help this along?
Cut off the fuel supply to two injectors and remove those two pistons. :wink2:

·
Registered
109 Posts
For example, you used a bunch of way more fancy high-tech engines. The 7.3 liters are necessary if you want to get some power from an IDI. I love my 3 liter Mercedes IDI, but it has like 120HP and 170ft-lb. In order to get the 3750 lb car to move around properly it's geared super low. Top speed is about 100 mph, making it by far the slowest W126. I can beat lots of smaller cars with more horsepower off the line, because I make torque right away... we all know the story. Meanwhile a VW TDI just over 2 liters makes more power AND torque... That's progress, baby.
also love this car, but another 60+ HP would be real nice. i've gotten mine over 100 mph on a slight incline in the mountains though... ;) kept up with a newer Audi and VW for quite some time.

I've gotten as high as 22.9 MPG in one of my old vans. It's all about all highway and all slow. lots of tricks to ween this baby off the jungle juice a little, but it's still a big heavy beast and the 7.3 PSD is probably the most efficient we've ever seen in a van of it's style.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
For example, you used a bunch of way more fancy high-tech engines. The 7.3 liters are necessary ... my 3 liter Mercedes ... has ... 120HP ... Top speed is about 100 mph, making it by far the slowest W126. ...
The question was fuel economy, not power, and one of the reasons for the low fuel economy is the internal friction of such a big engine.

And we're back to the timeless question: How much power is really necessary?

Your Benz can achieve 100 mi/hr, which is 30% more than what's reasonable & legal where you live, yet it sounds like you're apologizing for it. I say a 30% margin is more than adequate.

There's no free lunch. If you want fuel economy, you have to opt out of the horsepower wars. There's no reason a full-size van needs to be capable of 100 mi/hr.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The question was fuel economy, not power, and one of the reasons for the low fuel economy is the internal friction of such a big engine.

And we're back to the timeless question: How much power is really necessary?

Your Benz can achieve 100 mi/hr, which is 30% more than what's reasonable & legal where you live, yet it sounds like you're apologizing for it. I say a 30% margin is more than adequate.

There's no free lunch. If you want fuel economy, you have to opt out of the horsepower wars. There's no reason a full-size van needs to be capable of 100 mi/hr.
The reason that I have my van is not because of speed, but rather because it can carry a load inside of 3000 lbs.. yes I know that is over the ton, but it is in the middle of the van and between the front and rear axle lines and it works.. not for long runs between shop and job site it works.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Synthetic oil in the transmission and rear end will improve mileage by 0.5-1 mi/gal. Synthetic oil in the engine will, too, but oil changes will probably be more money than fuel savings.
I always change the driveline fluids to synthetics, but I've never realized an actual MPG improvement. If there was any gain, it was from the oil having a better film strength that allowed for a longer service life.

If one could keep speeds below 60, go to a taller gear ratio, go to a manual transmission, one could increase mileage above 20 pretty easily. You'd reduce some of the affects of drag, keep the engine locked up better to the drive line, and keep the engine R's lower that would reduce internal friction.

·
Registered
251 Posts
21.5 mpg on my last trip to WA state from the north bay.. '91 E350, 7.3, 3.55 rear, 5spd manual ZF gear box, CC set right at 1800 rpm, stock skinny 235r85 x16 tires... van gets better mpg than my '76 merc w the 2.8 dohc I 6

·
Registered
38 Posts
hey moosiah i need to get with you about some van issues i am having (mileage and alignment)
gimmie a call and i'll come to you
out at cow palace tomorrow

·
Registered
251 Posts
the 3.55 is the tallest ratio available today in the D60 rear, But there was a 3.37 that was used in chevys '67-68...... good luck finding one .... grrr

·
Registered
2 Posts
ok, how are you all getting anything above 15 with your 7.3? I recently bought an old (1999) E350 Ambulance with the 7.3, and did so after reading a lot of information online saying that everyone was getting 18+ mpg.. but after driving from Georgia to Oregon, ive been getting, on average, 13 mpg...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts