The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
That blast of air might get it back out. With my luck it would just blow it out the intake or exhaust valve. Just one of the things that makes wrenching fun, especially when you have some friends helping.
DENNY

·
Registered
314 Posts
If your going to replace the glow plugs, I would suggest pooling some of that BP-Blaster around each one and let it soak in. They can be troublesome and have been known to break off. Then your adventure begins.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So, Denny/ Casey-
I got Diesel RX GP (I know, I should have got the MC Beru's but I cant return them now) so I am going to use them and planning on buying a backup set of the correct motorcraft soon to have on backup. Anyway, my plan now is to get the Diesel RX GP relay and Controller (box below the round relay). I have read that only replacing the GP without a new relay will shorten GP life. Is this true? I think its a good idea for me to do BOTH before running it at all after 1st start up, this has been rocking on a while since I first posted this and I still didn't get all parts I needed yet so I'm asking this Glow plug relay question so, if I can get a matching Diesel RX GPR w/Controller Module and install it before my 1st start after sitting I will have new GP's, new relay/controller and new starter, and GP harness barrel connectors plus all new hoses and radiator and flush and fleetguard, along with oil/filter change, I should be good to go for a while. What do you ALL think about that Diesel Rx GPR/Controller please let me know all. thanks

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
I have read that only replacing the GP without a new relay will shorten GP life.
Not true, it's amazing how this crap starts with no basis in fact then spreads all over the forums like wildfire. Looking in my log, my last set of glowplugs had 11 years and 84,200 miles on them and were still working fine when I changed them. And I've never touched my relay or controller since I bought the truck new in '91. In the 249,000 miles on it I've gone through 2 or 3 sets of glowplugs.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
I am a 7.3 guy so take my advice with a grain of salt. I have not heard of a relay affecting glow plug life. I would suspect that as a relay starts to fail people blame the glow plugs because the relay is kind of working but not really moving the current as needed. If you plan on a new relay anyway it is nice to have it in while you are doing the rest of the work. I would not buy backup glow plugs until needed.
DENNY

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I am a 7.3 guy so take my advice with a grain of salt. I have not heard of a relay affecting glow plug life. I would suspect that as a relay starts to fail people blame the glow plugs because the relay is kind of working but not really moving the current as needed. If you plan on a new relay anyway it is nice to have it in while you are doing the rest of the work. I would not buy backup glow plugs until needed.

DENNY
Ok, good to know you agree with LMJD on glow plugs not shortening their life if I choose not to do the relay/controller right now. What do know of the quality/longevity of the Diesel Rx GPR/Controller? BTW, as mention I am a 7.3 guy too, just not a mechanic and havent wrenched on them recently as I getting ready to do now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Not true, it's amazing how this crap starts with no basis in fact then spreads all over the forums like wildfire. Looking in my log, my last set of glowplugs had 11 years and 84,200 miles on them and were still working fine when I changed them. And I've never touched my relay or controller since I bought the truck new in '91. In the 249,000 miles on it I've gone through 2 or 3 sets of glowplugs.
I started this topic because my 94 E350 has 320,000 on it and I;m trying to revive it to get hopefully a little more miles out of the engine hopefully a lot more but, doing all this to make sure I do all i can with the little money I do have so I wont have to take things back apart a second or third time while I have them apart now. Trying to get all the help and advice I can as I have medical troubles and vans or already a PITA to wrench on. Was also considering a new water pump while I have the radiator coming out and was trying to figure out if a fan and fan clutch delete/ hayden dual e-fan was smarter then replacing the old worn out fan clutch that is now on it. To many things on it getting old so am trying to extend its life a little longer hopefully. All help, thoughts, advice is really, sincerely appreciated. THANKS to you all for posting it :)

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think Chuckster57 has used the RX glow plugs for an extended period of time. He's always helpful, so you might PM him and get his opinion.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
So guys, HELP explain this please......
Update on van progress

Here goes, so, I took advice about not changing the oil or filter before eventual first start and for a month or so now, pondered if I should still change the oil/filter anyway even though my log showed I had approximately 1500 more miles before 5k change at time when parked several years ago. Well, I put that decsion to change or not to change the oil on the backburner for awhile because its been raining alot here, and, money has been tight and so, since I pulled the oil dipstick in January 2018 and saw no indication of milky oil or water or antifreeze and the oil level was fine, I kept on saving my money, researching, asking questions here on this forum and others all, while waiting for warmer, and less rainy weather. (doing repairs, parts swap in the mud is no fun)

And so I waited, patiently, reading all these posts on many topics, until I had all my parts, fluids and tools together, ready and staged for the plan to unfold for my multi-part service on my van, and the long, laundry list of planned repairs, updates such as new: batteries, radiator, thermostat and changing all hoses out, new starter, glow plugs, glow plug wire harness barrel end connectors retrofit, oil and fuel filters, deep coolant flush Block and radiator and upgrade to sca pre-charged fleetguard etc.

Now not that it was bad advice but because I never changed the oil and filter and instead kept buying parts over the last couple months, I never in my life expected what occurred today since the van ran very well before it was parked due to its small radiator leak and glow plugs and starter needing replaced.

By the way, I did get a break in the weather the other day and did go ahead and drained the antifreeze and it still had a little over 4 gallons in the radiator, and it was for the most part a very green color after it settled in the 5 gallon bucket the next day when checked. still havent done the flush, as it started to rain again.

Well it finally stopped raining today and I thought well I'd get out there to the van, throw a tarp down, crawl under the beast and go ahead and change the oil and filter and finish doing the other bullet connectors on the drivers side of the glow plug harness while the oil drained from the pan.

Well, I was pretty sure I didnt have any leaks when it was parked, head gaskets, valve cover gaskets and front and rear main seals and freeze plugs were replaced 4 years ago, and since then, it lived under a carport for a long time and so, wasnt directly in the weather until the last 4 months, so, what happened next freaked me out.

I got the oil buckets underneath, got all my milk jugs and funnel staged, ready to catch the oil and so, I loosened the oil pan bolt and slowly unscrewed it, and then, on the least oil pan drain plug thread, whoosh, out comes a huge stream of............ clear water.

I mean what the heck!? REALLY? YEP......

I'm thinking how in the heck did this clear (not milky or milkshake like at all) water, get into the oil pan other than...... condensation?

Anyone, please explain this. Can that occur in 3 years of sitting? Hood closed, air filter housing on tightly the entire time? So anyway, it (the clear water) keeps on coming, and coming out, no not rusty, not in the least, and no oil...water, almost a gallon of it before the oil finally miraculously appeared, dark black, like it always has been from soot, but not milky, and not mixed together?

And the water, (before the oil) when I put my hand under the flow from the drain hole and smelled it, it smelled like nothing, plain old water and when I rubbed my fingers together, not slick, just plain water, and definitely NOT at ALL, (not in feel, smell or by eyeballing it) like antifreeze, so frick me?

Guys, I stumped. And the worst of it, Im trying to go back to college, in my 50's and need this van to run but now, I now have all this money tied up in parts, money I guess I couId have used to get another used vehicle and junked this one. Man, I'm really upside down on this van now. Really was counting on this working out, and hoping to make progress at get this van back on the road again.

The fact it ran so darned well before and figured that, with new batteries and all the rest of stuff planned, that I could revive my good old faithful van.

Now this happens and Im am REALLY bummed and dont know what to do next?

Some one on another forum said it might be rainwater from my air filter housing or the gasket on my wingnut being not tightly sealed and that somehow water made its way into my intake and another person said just drain the water from the pan, remove the glow plugs to reliev cylider pressure and spray some WD40 or PB Blaster into the glow plug holes to lube the cylinder walls? Then turn the negine over with abreaker bar by hand a few revolutions before starting it with the starter. Is this all sound advice? Is their ANYTHINGelse I can do? Is it worth doing now that I found this new issue. Should I even, still finish the oil and filter change? Or, should I even consider doing any of the other things I was planning and finally got all the parts for, to make this a reliable vehicle?

Or, does this new development mean my engines toast?

IS THIS THE DEATH RATTLE OR IS THERE ANY HOPE AT ALL?

Im baffled at this development? Anyone else ever experienced ANYTHING like this?

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
I don’t think you have any choice but to buy some inexpensive Dino Oil like Rotella T4 and the oil filter and drive the van for a while to see what happens next.

1-gallon is obviously alot of water.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Most likely just condensation that has collected over the past 3 years. That is why it is clear and not mixed with the oil. Once the water gets below the oil it won't evaporate so it just collects. Happens in fuel tanks also if you do not keep them full. I would throw in some Rotella and go for it.
DENNY

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
After any engine sits overnight or longer, if there's coolant/water in the oil it will totally and completely separate from the oil and be at the bottom of the pan. Where it came from would be the question. It's true, on pickups rainwater can leak past the hood seal then on to the air cleaner lid past the wing nut rubber washer and into the engine. You ought to be able to determine if the van hood is designed so the same thing applies. If you've still got the drained oil in buckets, let it set, drain off the oil and determine if it's pure water or antifreeze in the bottom of the bucket. If it's antifreeze that would mean head gasket or whatever.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
After any engine sits overnight or longer, if there's coolant/water in the oil it will totally and completely separate from the oil and be at the bottom of the pan. Where it came from would be the question. It's true, on pickups rainwater can leak past the hood seal then on to the air cleaner lid past the wing nut rubber washer and into the engine. You ought to be able to determine if the van hood is designed so the same thing applies. If you've still got the drained oil in buckets, let it set, drain off the oil and determine if it's pure water or antifreeze in the bottom of the bucket. If it's antifreeze that would mean head gasket or whatever.
Good advice. I did as you suggested and drained the pan and let sit. No antifreeze. Clear water only. I did a cold flush with fresh diesel fuel after I let the engine completely drain of oil/rainwater. I put 1 gallon of diesel, in oil filler neck and let gravity do the rest. After 2-3hours I pulled the oil drain plug and drained off remaining fuel, sludge, and a 1/8 cup more clear water. I then repeated the diesel fuel cold flush above but this time I let the gallon of diesel fuel sit overnight as a cold engine "diesel flush" to see if I could clean out any more soot/sludge/residual water. Upon draining, I found all water in pan is gone and most all the remaining oil, drained out with the diesel. Then I did a final flush where I put 1 gallon of fresh 15w40 oil thru the engine and let it gravity feed to the oil pan and drained after letting the
New oil cold flush to sit an hour. Then, I put the oil drain plug in, and prefilled my new napa gold oil filter with new oil and installed, followed by 9.5 quarts of fresh 15w40 t4 rotella.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Start it up, let it run for a couple of hours, then drain and chage oil and filter again. After that run it for about 1500 miles change again, and you should be good to go from there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME HERE-please come back and let us know how this is turning out-
O.P. and others-
Greetings all. Apologies for leaving you all in limbo. Van needs a valley pan and all that comes along with that. Valley pan not yet installed. Never done a VP on a 7.3, truth be told, kind of overwhelmed with removal, of the whole intake and fuel system, and no backup, other than online forums, locally if I mess it all up somehow and it still wont start, and having herniated discs, aren't helping matters. I dont want to tell my WHOLE life story online. We all have "life baggage". Bottom line, lack of recent, solid experience in entire disassembly/reassembly of the fuel, intake and ignition system and re-educating myself slowly, along with meager finances, weather/rain/NO cover or shop, and complicated medical issues are taking priority over what I can and cant do, not just on the van fix, but in life overall. Im not *****in'. Im tellin it as Im livin it. You asked, I responded :). Ill "git er done at some point". Keep on, keepin on. Thanks for the interest.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
A piece of advise given to me when I was young, and scared "The crankshaft goes round and round, the pistons go up and down, and they all come apart and go together one bolt at a time." Over the years, I haven't found any engine that isn't true for. I sure thought that ole geezer was going to tell me something powerful!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the update-can definitely relate to the fear of screwing things up {FUBAR} without having someone knowledgeable as backup as I have an old backhoe scattered over about 1/4 of an acre that I hope SOMEDAY to get put back together...long story short, a mechanic neighbor/friend dismantled it for me after it spun a bearing while in his custody.

I bought all the parts and pieces to breathe new life into it and he got most of the hydraulics rebuilt and was just starting on the engine when he and the girlfriend split up and he left for North Dakota to care for ailing parents.

That was 2 years back. His method of keeping parts in order was to throw all the bolts and nuts in one 200# bucket "to make cleaning them easier"...didn't simplify MY life much...

I hope your medical issues improve, 8gitmusik1-this gettin' older crap is not for the faint of heart for certain-

If you were located somewhere near these parts I'd be up for giving you a hand and lending moral support on your project but would be near-useless as a technical resource.

Had my '93 F250 just over 3 months now and STILL can't find the horn relay-managing to change the oil/filter and air filter, put new shocks on it, changing the door/ignition locks and figure out how to lay the back seat flat is pretty much the highwater mark of my accomplishments with it.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts