The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the best place to buy a new driveshaft, mine has over 200,000 and mechanic says its starting to wear out, Not the u joints, Is there a indestructable aftermarket one?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
This hasn't been discussed much here, but a search should find you a few posts. Most people will just rebuild their stock one with new parts or take it to their local driveshaft shop.
I've had a new one piece shaft build by Tom Woods Custom Driveshafts, but with the biggest parts he had available. Best suggestion is to find a local shop that does work on bigger trucks. They will have access to larger parts than most 'off-road' or 'jeep' places.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Do you get any vibration from a one piece D/S that long? I've been having a prob with mine since the driveline shop cut the harmonic balancer off the end of mine. Still trying to resolve that issue.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
No, I get vibrations from my tires being crap, but not from the driveshaft. I think it was about 73" long which is about the longest they would make in a single piece. I've not done anything to change angles either. Other than the wedge shaped blocks in the rear.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Where is the best place to buy a new driveshaft, mine has over 200,000 and mechanic says its starting to wear out, Not the u joints, Is there a indestructable aftermarket one?
Thanks
Hmm. Mine is also nearing 200,000 miles. What does the mechanic mean by "wearing out".

PS... I've been drag racing and sled pulling one mine for a few years now. Still rides down the road smooth.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hmm. Mine is also nearing 200,000 miles. What does the mechanic mean by "wearing out".

PS... I've been drag racing and sled pulling one mine for a few years now. Still rides down the road smooth.
I'm also curious on this one. The joints can wear out as well as the carrier bearing, but those can be easily replaced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts