The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the coolant in my 2012 6.7, Does Ford have a new better coolant for my truck? Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
What's wrong with the Motrocraft stuff?? Better how??? There's plenty of auto market brands that you can use...nothing I know of that will "extend" the life beyond the normal ratings or recommendations.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
The 6.7L PSD has shown no cooling system concerns related to the coolant itself that I am aware of. Problems that I HAVE seen are related to lack of maintenance and the MIXING OF COOLANT TYPES. I am with HEAVYASAULT in that there really isn't anything necessarily "better" than the Motorcraft Orange coolant that will make any discernible difference.

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 6.7L PSD has shown no cooling system concerns related to the coolant itself that I am aware of. Problems that I HAVE seen are related to lack of maintenance and the MIXING OF COOLANT TYPES. I am with HEAVYASAULT in that there really isn't anything necessarily "better" than the Motorcraft Orange coolant that will make any discernible difference.
I guess I was just reading about the new gold coolant by Motor craft and was wondering if it was better than the orange that came stock?

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Here's what I can get past. One year it's one "color", another year a different "color" but they both have the same generation motor. ??????????????????????? Whatever....I try to understand it all, but then the more I ask it seems to be easier to just follow the owner's manual for proper coolant version/type.

·
Registered
640 Posts
The nice part about staying OEM is you don't have to worry about getting ALL of it out when you flush the system.

Tom

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Orange stuff requires maintenance and the new yellow/green stuff is maintenance free. That would be the reason I could think of. The test strips needing to be in date, adding additive or replacing it if the test strips indicate. If Ford thinks a different formula poured into the same engine becomes hands off for 5 years then I would think that is less risk that it is maintained wrong and the oil cooler stops up or whatever might ever be known to us in the future to happen.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
If you want to go with something completely different, there is the Evans Waterless coolant. Supposed to be a lifetime coolant, but you MUST flush the entire system completely, and if you don't get all the old out, you have to drain and start again. When they say waterless though, they mean it. If any water is added it will cause corrosion. It is also expensive.

Better to stick with what is in it now.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
In the past Evans Waterless was not sufficent to use in the Ford diesel motors. It's not recommended in any way for these motors. I want to say I think it had more to do with the pressurized coolant system needed to be sustained as Evans wanted the owner's to drill a hole in the degas bottle cap.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
That's good to know. I saw the process involved with Evans and thought, that is way too much work for what you get.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Amsoil now makes a diesel coolant. Bill Hewitt did a pretty good you tube on swapping it out.

ford now went to yellow coolant on the 2019 and newer fords. Note - this new yellow coolant actually looks green. Lol

if you want to go aftermarket amsoil is a good option but I would just stay with oem and dump and refill every 50k

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Anyone know if the coolant is replaced when they lift the body, and do they lift the body to replace the front pump seal on the transmission?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Orange stuff requires maintenance and the new yellow/green stuff is maintenance free. That would be the reason I could think of. The test strips needing to be in date, adding additive or replacing it if the test strips indicate. If Ford thinks a different formula poured into the same engine becomes hands off for 5 years then I would think that is less risk that it is maintained wrong and the oil cooler stops up or whatever might ever be known to us in the future to happen.
So has anyone made the switch to the new Yellow coolant? I have both my systems completely flushed out and want to know is the Yellow coolant compatible with my 2012 components? Thanks for your help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts