The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this truck and it's my first diesel truck. I am wondering what I should use on the oil change. Should I go Syn?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
As long as you use a quality, diesel rated, oil you'll be fine. I notice a difference when I run synthetic oil, but it is a lot more expensive.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you again 96Cobra, yan7gin and thank you Maryland dieselnick for the reply and info. I live in Colorado so very cold climate. With the truck having 399,000 on it, I do want to make sure I give it more than good protection. I was leaning towards Syn because of the high mileage, but wanted input from people who have owned diesels for awhile. I seen the Motorcraft filters and was wondering if they were an ok or good filter, or if there are some that work better for the extra price.

Any thoughts on the royal purple brand? I've seen where some believe that is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
IMO no need to spend that much for engine oil, rotella or delco (i thing) will do great for your truck.

I used royal purple in race engine but not in a DD

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,913 Posts
Now Royal Purple will be very expensive.

Motorcraft filter I'd the ticket.

Now that winter is here, you need to check your fuel system, charging system, cooling system and individually load test the batteries.

You need to power flush the fuel bowl and install a new filter. You need to slip a 3/8 hose up onto the fuel bowl drain pipe up underneath and other end in a jug. Open drain lever and turn key on. Turn back off after it stops. Open up, blast sediment out into drain with WD40 with straw on it.

Look into a regulated fuel return and the Hutchmod

Read overviews like the coffee table book, so you understand how this engine works. It will make things easier on you.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok yan7gin. No on the purple. Thank you. =)

Maryland dieselnick. I really appreciate the valuable info. I am use to working on my gas rides when and if I can. I would like to be able to do the same on this truck. I will power flush the fuel bowl and install a new fuel filter. The batteries are brand new so I believe I am good there. The coolant is like new. I should get the charging system checked while I am doing the scan for codes.

Do you think it would be wise to take it to the auto shop and pay them the $85 or so to just put it on the fancy machine to get the goods and hopefully not bad's on the entire thing? Just a thought...

·
Premium Member
7,913 Posts
Dont pay for a scan. Buy AE with ford enhanced pkg. only buy the latest Giotto version.

Start researching flushing the cooling system with cleaner and distilled water so you can install ELC coolant. You don't want corrosion and cavitation damage.

This baby is high miles and not knowing the history, you need to reoringed the injectors and ipr. Cheap and can be done in an afternoon.

You need to google 7.3 ICP sensor image. Find one that shows old style and new style. Get a new style.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like I need to get a Chilton manual so similar so I can work on this engine and truck. I will look for an AE that you mentioned.

I googled the ICP. Are these the old and new in this pic?

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you 323flint. I'll make sure and get the Giotto version Nick.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
With 400,000 miles on her maybe you should find out what the PO was using.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey bigb. He told me what he used, but I forgot what it was. I should call him and ask. That does bring up a good point. Since the truck is still very strong, it may be some great oil. I do remember him saying he put (Lucas) in it with every oil change. Is that something that any of you gents use in your trucks? The Lucas oil treatment?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will check it out Nick. Is the one on the right the newer style ICP?

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
Hey bigb. He told me what he used, but I forgot what it was. I should call him and ask. That does bring up a good point. Since the truck is still very strong, it may be some great oil. I do remember him saying he put (Lucas) in it with every oil change. Is that something that any of you gents use in your trucks? The Lucas oil treatment?
I don't use Lucas Oil additive and I have often read that such aftermarket additives can negatively affect the very high quality factory additives already found in the better synthetic diesel oils like Rotella T6.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
Syn cost has come way down. It's about $21 a gallon with a $5 rebate on each jug @ Walmart and they carry the Motorcraft filter for under $10.
I have wasted so much time on those rebates and still have not seen a cent. I called their customer service and they told me I had already cashed my two rebates. Said the same for the rebates I sent in for my Dad's truck. My memory is not that bad that I would have forgotten free money ;-)

I don't even waste my time anymore.

Hope you guys have better luck.

OP... Where in CO? When you have time add your personal info and vehicle to your signature.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 68 Posts