The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all I'm new to this whole forum thing and to diesels, I've recently purchased a 2000 f250 and was wondering was the best programmer is for this type of motor? I have some buddies telling me to go with edge. Does a programmer also replace aftermarket guages since it can read tranny temp, turbo boost etc... this is just what I've heard. Any info on these things would help tremendously!

·
Registered
936 Posts
This is a big debate are for its of people but overall you will do better getting a programmer that is custom configured for your truck than a "one-size-fits-all" type of programmer. Something like what is offered by DP Tuners, Beans Diesel, PHP, etc. is what I'd be looking at. Personally I have been very happy and impressed with DP Tuners. You'll be surprised (read "grinning") at the performance lying dormant in these motors that a good tuner can wake up into live tooth bearing action :) Regardless of how you go an EGT gauge is the bare minimum and practically speaking really needed gauge. The others are nice to have to monitor things but the EGT gauge is what you'll be driving by to keep from harming your motor. Depending upon what you do in mods to your motor will help you decide what kind of tunes you'll want to ask for. An 80HP daily driver tune is more than enough for most folks with an unmodified motor. You can always change the tunes as you do more to your motor.

·
Premium Member
14,377 Posts
I second DP-Tuner. You can use an Edge to monitor things, but never for its programming. A better choice if you want a combination gauge display with tunes is the Infinity DX. Or, just get the tuner and get a Scangauge II to watch a few parameters. Either way, you'll need something extra for EGT as it's not monitored from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have an edge that I use for gadges most of the time it was feee. But I would go with DP also.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I'll throw in a plug for php hydra.

325 bucks and comes with free php tunes.
If you want different tunes about 15 different places offer tunes for the hydra.

Tunes can be uploaded via email and it comes with a USB cable for programming.

·
Registered
80 Posts
+1 for the PHP Hydra. The PHP tunes offered (for free) seem to work quite well.
I also have an Edge Insight (with EGT) for monitoring.

This combination suits my needs perfectly.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
+2 on the PHP Hydra. I can run any one of up to 15 tunes with the push of a button. I owned a Superchips Programmer way back when and would not go back to a programmer over a multi-position chip.
Bill

·
Registered
82 Posts
Very Happy With DP Tunes

I am very happy with my DP tuning and hardware. It always works! I have emailed Jody several with questions regarding upgrades and always received a prompt response, excellent customer support.

The truck is running fine @420K.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Fell free to contact me with any questions you may have regarding our products. I can also make recommendations for you and your needs if you aren't sure what would be best for you.

You can shoot me a PM, e-mail, or phone call. Whichever you prefer.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Another vote for hydra.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an SCT livewire on my 2000 F250 7.3l. It came with 3 auto tunes and honestly it woke up my 7.3. Depending on what you want out of it. I just wanted mine to run a little smoother and with the performance tune on it I get better mpg, more hp, and my trans shifts more smooth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tuner

Fell free to contact me with any questions you may have regarding our products. I can also make recommendations for you and your needs if you aren't sure what would be best for you.

You can shoot me a PM, e-mail, or phone call. Whichever you prefer.
Im not looking for a whole lot of tunes....have 02 7.3 240k....l tow boat,cars snowmobile trailers....looking for just better mpgs...thanks in adavance

·
Registered
8 Posts
Justin, l pull boat,cars snowmobiles just looking for something with mpg,s l have a 3 position one but broke wires on switch and dont know where to put them back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another vote for the hydra w/ custom tunes

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Fordman 1023 diesel offers custom tunes for the sct.

Another vote for hydra

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hydra on my 2000 f250 7.3. I've heard even their most aggressive tune is safe...even for a stock truck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a hydra. When I still had stock injectors, I would get the best performance easily out of the 140 extreme, but was a little smokey. If you keep your foot out of it and don't race around, that is also the best mileage tune.

·
Registered
92 Posts
another vote for DP, been running his tunes longer than most.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can't speak on the other tuners but I can say the Hydra works very well for me. I'm in a northern climate so the 1000rpm hi idle is really nice, the extra HP tunes seem to really wake up the motor. I like the 65 hp DD tune and the fuel sipper really helped out in the mileage. I've actually surpassed 22.5 on a few occasions creeping up on 24+. 01 CCSB 4X4 auto

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts