The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Cant you have the ones you have turned and use them instead of buying new?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Cant you have the ones you have turned and use them instead of buying new?
Yeah, but say for example oriellys, most done even know how to use the machine.
Hell, my local one cant even build a simple damn fuel line for me.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,631 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
I've had good luck with cryoed and slotted rotors.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
I recall a negative issue concerning the slotted rotors.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I've heard the same negative about drilled rotors, or drilled and slotted rotors. I have not experienced negatives with slotted rotors. I had about 100K on a set of Cryo'ed power slot rotors on all 4 corners. Powerslot Part Number: 126.65086CSL-CSR

The last set I got for my Excursion were possibly Power Stop brand, but looks identical.

·
Super Moderator
25,361 Posts
Ford does not recommend turning rotors, and neither does Jack (FMTRVT), TDS's resident brake expert.

If you're getting brake pulsation, it means there's probably hard spots which can't be turned out. They come back soon after any attempt at turning.
When I redid my rear brakes, I went with Ford Rotors (which happened to say "Made in China" on the boxes) but they're doing well. On the rears, I went with Ford Loaded calipers. I recently replaced the front pads with Ford "SuperDuty". My front rotors were in good shape with minor scoring and I just reused them without turning.
On slotted and/or drilled rotors, you're losing contact area. It's equivalent to putting smaller pads on.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
It seems about 90% of the threads with drilled and slotted rotors, they all are cracked and warped.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I had the slotted and cryro rotors on one of my trucks. They worked great!! and I never had a issue with them. For the price and hassle of trying to get them turned I usually buy NAPA best or Ford rotors.
DENNY

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I have had good luck with the NAPA premium ones or Ford OEM.
DENNY

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I never reuse the calipers. I used to back in the day but had an issue with the puck sticking after being pushed back in and burning up pads and calipers. I always replace the calipers with new or rebuilt, make the job simple and you get a good brake fluid flush at the same time.
DENNY

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I went with raybestos rotors, pads, and calipers from rockauto.com the last time I did my brakes, and they are working great. No problems. The motorcraft, powerstop cryoed, drilled, and slotted, and a few others are there on the rock auto site also.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I never reuse the calipers. I used to back in the day but had an issue with the puck sticking after being pushed back in and burning up pads and calipers. I always replace the calipers with new or rebuilt, make the job simple and you get a good brake fluid flush at the same time.

DENNY

So do you change out the calipers each time you do pads? What calipers do you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ford does not recommend turning rotors, and neither does Jack (FMTRVT), TDS's resident brake expert.

If you're getting brake pulsation, it means there's probably hard spots which can't be turned out. They come back soon after any attempt at turning.
When I redid my rear brakes, I went with Ford Rotors (which happened to say "Made in China" on the boxes) but they're doing well. On the rears, I went with Ford Loaded calipers. I recently replaced the front pads with Ford "SuperDuty". My front rotors were in good shape with minor scoring and I just reused them without turning.
On slotted and/or drilled rotors, you're losing contact area. It's equivalent to putting smaller pads on.
Do you happen to know a part number for the Loaded calipers? When I google Motorcraft loaded caliper, the results come back rather ambiguous. Also, pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference between a loaded and unloaded or semi loaded caliper?

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Optimus.

I would contact a Fords Parts Counter directly for the details and P/N for your specific truck.

·
Super Moderator
25,361 Posts
Do you happen to know a part number for the Loaded calipers? When I google Motorcraft loaded caliper, the results come back rather ambiguous. Also, pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference between a loaded and unloaded or semi loaded caliper?
I found them on Fordparts.com when I did my rear brakes. But that site is not so good anymore. I would suggest contacting the guys at Autonation Ford White Bear Lake (https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/), and give them your VIN. There are different setups. Mine took the same rear caliper on both sides, but later trucks used different calipers (location of the bleeder is important - needs to be on top.)
As far as I know, there only loaded calipers (complete with pads, ready to bolt on) and unloaded calipers (without pads). No ideal what semi-loaded would be (maybe with one pad ? :grin2:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts