The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at used and see a lot of 6.4 and 6.0's for sale. Don't know anything about 6.4 my last was a 7.3 and loved it, but they are hard to find. What is the general as to 6.4 or best year fro 6.0?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am no expert but I am friends that are. I was instructed to stay far away from any 6.4... I have owned 4 different 6.0's I was told 05-07 are the better ones.

·
Super Moderator
25,204 Posts
The best 6.0L is the one that's in somebody else's truck. Buy another 7.3L. ;)

But as was said, the later years, after the bugs have been worked out are better.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
They all have their weaknesses. If you find a stock one that has been well taken care of, then you can spend a few thousand and have a decent reliability from any model year. The 2004's were a transition year (with regards to upgrades) and as such they can be a little more trouble when buying parts.

Things to look out for when buying a used one with higher mileage:
  • injector issues because of operation with low fuel pressure.
  • leaking oil cooler
  • high pressure oil system issues (the HPOP is weak in the 03-04 model years and there are more leak points in the later model years)
  • the earlier EGR coolers were a little less "leak-prone" than the late '04 and up model years, but all of the can fail
  • head gasket leaks
There are ways to thoroughly evaluate a purchase, but you can still get bit. Bottom line is that you really MUST have a scan tool when looking at a potential purchase. I would go so far as to say you need a pressure gauge to put on the degas bottle, AND (after all other testing and test driving is done) you need to take it in an have a dealership run a fuel pressure test and an injector contribution test.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine is a bought new by me 2007 (build date in late 2006) 6.0 F250 Superduty Supercab 4 X4, manual tranny, hubs, transfer case, etc and so far I have had only a few minor problems that involved the "accessories" like a starter. The only not really "biggie" but annoying one was a crank-no start issue that turned out to be a bad O ring downstream of the HPOP. That is the only failure I have experienced so far, but I have kinda "seen things coming in my crystal ball" and changed a FICM for an ATLAS tune one from FICM Repair.com and have had some other stuff like a high flow stainless EGR cooler, an Alliant Engine oil Cooler, an updated HPOP fitting Kit, a Turbo union ring (including a turbo clean/de-carbonize and install an updated drain tube) and the famous "blue spring kit" done by a shop here in Reno (actually in Sparks, I guess) by the name of TNT Automotive. (They are honest, do good work and I can HIGHLY recommend them!) That all was mostly done as "preventative maintenance" even though it was a little spendy. (I'm a cheap old fart---hell, I can remember making $285.00 a MONTH in the Army as an E-5!!)

Also, very early on I installed a BD Diesel coolant filter kit after doing a long and thorough engine flush and putting in new ZEREX antifreeze.Just out of curiosity, I cut open the newly removed coolant filter on my lathe at each change to see what it is/was catching and found a bit of crap in it the first time (after 500 miles) and then decreasing in amount as the changes/miles went by until the most recent one showed absolutely NOTHING. I also monitor several things (FICM voltage, engine oil and coolant temps, HPOP pressure) any time I go on an extended trip and pulling a trailer by using my Torque Pro OBDII device and a pad just to kind keep track and to (hopefully) see anything bad coming along before anything makes the big WHACK!! noise. For daily use I just kinda watch the oil and coolant temps on a gauge I had made specifically to compare them with.

Most all of that stuff was done as PREVENTATIVE and the only issue I have ever had with the engine so far (115k miles driven by an old fart) was the failed O ring, which happened in my driveway and NOT out in the middle of nowhere.

The truck has a lot of the usual stuff like Tru Tracs in both ends, custom bumpers, upgraded suspension bushings, aftermarket wheels and bigger tires, etc, etc, but so far it has been a good and mostly trouble free truck for me. I DO TRY to do all the maint/upkeep stuff and I DO BELIEVE the old adage that says "Take care of your equipment and it will take care of YOU!"

·
Registered
65 Posts
The 06-07 were the best. Had all the latest and greatest parts and updates. The cabs are a lot simpler to remove for major service too.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
LOL, while I agree with you .....

It was a BIG disappointment to have to replace a failure prone STC fitting on the HPOP discharge (and while not a hard job, the dummy plugs and standpipes were also a disappointment)!

ALSO - the later EGR coolers were NOT an improvement over the originals. They were MORE failure prone.

·
Registered
65 Posts
LOL, while I agree with you .....

It was a BIG disappointment to have to replace a failure prone STC fitting on the HPOP discharge (and while not a hard job, the dummy plugs and standpipes were also a disappointment)!

ALSO - the later EGR coolers were NOT an improvement over the originals. They were MORE failure prone.
Everything about working on late model 6.0 is better. So many small improvements that make the job faster and easier. Like the way the ficm mounts on late model.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
The best improvements in the later model years for the owner are
  • the HPOP change in 05
  • the ICP relocation on late 04
  • the extra coolant row in the oil cooler (I suspect other improvements occurred also)
  • injector improvements through 06 (including the hold-down changes in Jan 06 commonization changes)
  • electrical harness improvements (05 and up have fewer failures from my experience, with 06 and 07 being the best)
  • perhaps also to be included are the upgrades in turbo oil supply and drain

1 - 9 of 9 Posts