The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me exactly how an ipr operates mechanically. By that I mean what moves inside when voltage is applied. I've taken mine apart to clean it and I've seen the little needle and the plunger/barrel that moves but what do the do specifically. I've watched a guy on youtube do a so called " bench test " on a 6.0 ipr valve. He covered the end ports of the valve with a hose and applied air to it and air come out of the next set of holes with and without voltage being applied. He said it wasn't supposed to be like that. With no voltage no air was to come out with voltage air was supposed to come out when it shifted. Is that how it works? My 7.3 was tested like his and my results were different. When I covered the end holes and put voltage to it mine never shifted. You could feel and hear the coil working but the only air to come out was at the small hole in the threads. Never out of the second set of holes. I started with like 20# of air at first and went up from there to like 70#. Same result little hole had little air and more came out as pressure went higher. I did take a screwdriver and push in the end of the ipr valve and it wasn't stuck it actually moved kinda easy. I would just like to understand how the mechanics of it works I guess. Sorry for the long post just putting in what I've tried and seen.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts