The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2013 F250 SD with 100K miles. I complied with a Ford recall to reflash the PCM on a smog related issue and the NOX sensor was subsequently replaced.

I took my truck in for the biannual smog inspection immediately after the replacement and was informed that it had failed due to the OBDII parameters not being reset. I was told to drive 60 to 100 miles and return but after 300+ miles the EGS was still not reset.

I now am operating on a 30 day temporary operating permit from CA DMV and have 4000+ miles on this truck More than 100 of which have been put on by the local Ford service department foreman. Ford has had the truck off and on trying to fix this problem for 4 days.

Neither Ford Motor Co. or its engineers have an answer to this problem. They either cannot or will not advise the service department what to do to solve this problem. I was told today the service department has had another truck since October trying to get it to pass smog.

My truck has been serviced meticulously and was just used to pull a 10K pound fifth wheel 700 miles over 3 mountain ranges trying to reset this system. The truck performed flawlessly but did not reset the EGS.

My truck that I saved years to buy will soon be illegal to use in the state where I reside. I can’t understand how Ford can sell the Super Duty in a state that requires biannual smog inspections when after a mere 100K miles it is worthless!

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
What is "EGS?"

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is "EGS?"
That’s what I have not been able to find out. That is what comes up on the code reader. As near as I can determine it is exhaust gas system. I was hoping you could tell me for sure,

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is "EGS?"
In a May 14, 2020 post you made to the thread Driving Cycle & Permanent Codes the OBD monitor listed as exhaust gas sensor is what I assume EGS refers to. If I am correct the Ford service department foreman put the truck through that drive cycle procedure several times as have I to no avail.

In that post the alternative is to drive the vehicle 7,500 miles. That is a trip from California to Alaska and back just to get the vehicle to pass smog.

·
Premium Member
15,281 Posts
The best solution may be a drive to Alaska without the return trip. Or to any other state for that matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Either I made a typo in a post or you are mistaken. "EGS" is not a known acronym in PSD terminology.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Either I made a typo in a post or you are mistaken. "EGS" is not a known acronym in PSD terminology.
Ford Doctor, you did not use the acronym in your post. In your post which included Ford service information the information referred to resetting the exhaust gas sensor OBD monitor. I am assuming that is the same as the EGS acronym on my Foxwell OBDII code reader which is listed as the OBD monitor which is not resetting.

·
Super Moderator
26,919 Posts
EGS = Emission "Gotcha" Sensor. ;)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
918 Posts
That is why I would never live in California. I had hell when I was stationed their to get my vehicle through smog. I got out of their as fast as I could and never looked back

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can honestly feel your pain being the previous owner of a 13 F250 diesel that I finally had to trade in due to the constant trips to the mechanic for CEL emissions issues.
First thing you have to do is find a reputable diesel mechanic - AND NOT A FORD DEALER. Sorry for yelling but I get my blood pressure up when I think of going to the dealer.
Anyway, I had same issues as yours but mine went away after using tow/haul mode for a short 100 mile camping trip. I read your post of hauling your camper - I can only assume you used tow/haul mode. I absolutely loved that 6.7 but constant emissions headaches turned me sour. Good luck with your fix!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can honestly feel your pain being the previous owner of a 13 F250 diesel that I finally had to trade in due to the constant trips to the mechanic for CEL emissions issues.
First thing you have to do is find a reputable diesel mechanic - AND NOT A FORD DEALER. Sorry for yelling but I get my blood pressure up when I think of going to the dealer.
Anyway, I had same issues as yours but mine went away after using tow/haul mode for a short 100 mile camping trip. I read your post of hauling your camper - I can only assume you used tow/haul mode. I absolutely loved that 6.7 but constant emissions headaches turned me sour. Good luck with your fix!
You are correct 4everFord, I used tow/haul for about 700 miles and still no reset. I now have about 4400 miles since the NOX Sensor replacement.

I’ll keep everyone informed of how this fiasco plays out.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You are correct 4everFord, I used tow/haul for about 700 miles and still no reset. I now have about 4400 miles since the NOX Sensor replacement.

I’ll keep everyone informed of how this fiasco plays out.
Well I said I would keep y’all posted on how this fiasco played out.

I took my truck to an independent garage today to an ex General Motors master mechanic and laid out the entire story to him. He immediately told me that if I had only 1 OBD monitor which had not reset my truck would pass the smog test. He said any diesel vehicle built after 2006 can have 2 monitors not reset. He had my truck on the machine and passed the inspection within 15 minutes.

This entire incident could have been circumvented if the smog people at the Ford dealership had been better informed.

I am just glad to see the matter resolved and I now have a new mechanic. One that knows his business.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts