The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! First off, thank you for even looking at this post, any advice is well appreciated.

- I have a 01 F350 7.3 automatic 4x4 CCSB.
-Almost all stock besides:
-4" turbo back exhaust
-Old superchips tune
-previous owner had the transmission rebuilt (or so he claims)

In September my flex plate broke. Took it to my trust mechanic, he took the transmission out of the truck and discovered that not only was my flex plate broke but the balancing weight on the torque converter was bent upwards. He re-welded the weight, put in a new flex plate in and I was good to go.

The mechanic also noticed that the case was once cracked and rewelded. Looks as if its structurally secure, but they only welded it on the outside.

I also have been noticing that it takes a longer time to shift in to reverse than normal. Like maybe 2-3 seconds, and not the instantaneous that I'm used to in other trucks.

The previous owner explained he had the transmission rebuilt because he was towing his 5th wheel camper up a steep grade, thought he was in 1st, turns out he was in 2nd and roasted the transmission. He explained that he had his transmission done by the best guy in town and used all great parts, and even included a shift kit in the rebuild.

Sooooooo that was all in September. Mid October came around and the same thing happened again! Cracked flex pate! I haven't towed or really beat on the truck at all really..

Before I go and spend a ton of money, I'm thinking of researching a few options..

The best option I can think of, mainly to keeps costs low would be:

Replace Flexplate and get a Torque converter ($400 from advance auto parts)

What do you guys think? Do you think this transmission is smoked? Am I just putting a band aid on the problem?

Up for any advice or suggestions.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
A welded case would make me dip into my "brand new transmision" fund

·
Registered
447 Posts
Flex plate could be breaking because the trans housing is off on the alignment because of being welded. How many times do you want to do this and pay labor and parts.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Well, its up to you what you want to do. But just to let you know. Never seen anyone tow in 1st. My 18000lb 40' ft fifth wheel only requires me to use 2nd on real steep hills, and its in 3rd on most. I live in BC, Canada too, so no hills bigger than hear. Second, you don't crack a casing unless you hit it with something, which would be obvious, OR, he beat the snot out of that thing. Probably 4x4 ing and got stuck, and baked on it till it split. I have only seen this once on my buddys truck, and it took 8ft of air pedal to the medal on the landing!!!! He blew that puppy, and I wouldn't even put it back on my motor. Wait til it locks up and roasts the motor. Then your looking at a real bill. If cash is tight. Go to a wrecker. At least you can get something you can fix or rebuild for about 600 bucks. They usually give you 90 day warranty, so if it lasts that long. Its gonna be ok. Cracked casing. Wow, would have loved to see him do that. Must have been cool!! I cram 500hp into mine all the time, and to my amazement it is still holding together. Touch wood!

Reactions: ArcticDriver
1 - 4 of 4 Posts