The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I am looking to put more rubber and wheel height under the truck to get the pumpkin through the sandI , therefore i need taller and wider tires under the truck. I do not want to get to high, just get taller tire for ground clearance and a little wider for traction. don't want to go to high, so perhaps 35" wide tires would work fine. Can I get these under the f450 without lifting it. If i have to lift it, I would go with the 4" lift if that would work. Does anyone have any ideas, i understand that Kelderman has a lift kit that may need adapters.

Therefore the best wheel for off roading and to improve the ride a little also.N

Need to know what kit/wheel works the best, I need to still pull a 5th wheel.

Let me know if anyone has any thoughts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hey, I am looking to put more rubber and wheel height under the truck to get the pumpkin through the sandI , therefore i need taller and wider tires under the truck. I do not want to get to high, just get taller tire for ground clearance and a little wider for traction. don't want to go to high, so perhaps 35" wide tires would work fine. Can I get these under the f450 without lifting it. If i have to lift it, I would go with the 4" lift if that would work. Does anyone have any ideas, i understand that Kelderman has a lift kit that may need adapters.

Therefore the best wheel for off roading and to improve the ride a little also.N

Need to know what kit/wheel works the best, I need to still pull a 5th wheel.

Let me know if anyone has any thoughts
Isn't your 450 a Dually?? I don't think you can increase your tire size. The dually's must not touch each other.

·
Premium Member
18,870 Posts
You can go with wider tires, but only after you buy and install new wheels that are made for both your truck's hubs and the wider tires.

Stock wheels on the '08-'10 F-450s are 19.5"x6". The biggest tires you can mount on those wheels (per the tire manufacturer's specs) is the tires that came on it. 225/70R19.5.

Bigger tires are made for the 19.5" wheels, but the wider wheels required for those tires are not cheap and they are hard to find. The next bigger size is 19.5"x6.75", then 19.5x7.50" and then 19.5x8.25".

Back off your dreams to the next size up from stock, 245/70R19.5, and you have the tires that come on Ford RV chassis, so the 19.5"x6.75" wheels are available from Ford and probably other suppliers.

Stock-size tires are 32.2" diameter. 245s are 33.6", or equivalent to the old "inch" 34s (which were about 33.6" diameter too).
Michelin Americas Truck Tires XZE

With 7.5" wide wheels, you can choose 265/70R19.5 tires that are 34.3" diameter, or 285/70R19.5 tires which are 35.2" diameter. The old 35s were about 34.6" diameter, so those two tires straddle your target.
Michelin Americas Truck Tires XZE2+ Page

If you go for the 8.25" wide wheels, you can mount Michelin XZA 305/70R19.5, which are 36.3" diameter and 11.8" wide. Those tires require 13.5" spacing for duals (IOW, the distance from the center of the inside wheel to the center of the outside wheel must be at least 13.5") .
Michelin Americas Truck Tires - XZA

The only place I know to get dually rims wider than 6.75" is to have them custom made by Stockton Wheel Service - Custom Wheels.
But Rickson has been known to make expensive custom rims too, so check with them too.

At the NTxPSA regional rally last year, some guy came in all the way from Wyoming driving a very nice 6.4 dually with 35" tires and the correct rims for the tires. He drove away with best of show award. Maybe go to the Events and Rallies forum here and look for the North Texas website and find out who he was? I'm sure he's a member of TheDieselStop. You could pick his brains about how much it cost him to set up his rig to show-winning condition. But hang onto your checkbook - I'm sure it was a BUNCH of moola.

·
Registered
592 Posts
265-70-19.5's can be installed on 6.75" wide wheels and the stock F53 Ford(Accuride) 19.5x6.75" steel wheels have a offset of 5.50" so they even have enough spacing for the 265-70-19.5 Minimum Dual Spacing of 11.6" and a weight rating of 4000#'s.

·
Premium Member
18,870 Posts
265-70-19.5's can be installed on 6.75" wide wheels...
Yes, but just because it can be done doesn't mean you should do it. You can punch your boss in the nose, but that doesn't mean you should do it.

Michelin and all other manufacturers of truck tires say that 265/75R19.5 tires require 7.5" or wider wheels. So be ready for the consequences if you punch your boss in the nose. :wink2:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Yes, but just because it can be done doesn't mean you should do it. You can punch your boss in the nose, but that doesn't mean you should do it.

Michelin and all other manufacturers of truck tires say that 265/75R19.5 tires require 7.5" or wider wheels. So be ready for the consequences if you punch your boss in the nose. :wink2:
You should really click your own links, most (if not all) tyre manufacturers list 6.75" and 8.25" wide rims as optional and 7.50" wide rims as the measuring width...

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Isn't your 450 a Dually?? I don't think you can increase your tire size. The dually's must not touch each other.
It is a dually, but there seem to be wheels at American Force that bolt on with adapters that can get a bigger tire on them. If I need to raise the ruck I will but need to get some more height and width.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I use the tire listed here "Toyo Open Country A-T" in 35x12.50-22 35" OD is that to wide? I will lift the truck if necessary but I do not want to lift it more than 4"? Anyone used a similar combination with a Kelderman air lift?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent inf

You can go with wider tires, but only after you buy and install new wheels that are made for both your truck's hubs and the wider tires.

Stock wheels on the '08-'10 F-450s are 19.5"x6". The biggest tires you can mount on those wheels (per the tire manufacturer's specs) is the tires that came on it. 225/70R19.5.

Bigger tires are made for the 19.5" wheels, but the wider wheels required for those tires are not cheap and they are hard to find. The next bigger size is 19.5"x6.75", then 19.5x7.50" and then 19.5x8.25".

Back off your dreams to the next size up from stock, 245/70R19.5, and you have the tires that come on Ford RV chassis, so the 19.5"x6.75" wheels are available from Ford and probably other suppliers.

Stock-size tires are 32.2" diameter. 245s are 33.6", or equivalent to the old "inch" 34s (which were about 33.6" diameter too).
Michelin Americas Truck Tires XZE

With 7.5" wide wheels, you can choose 265/70R19.5 tires that are 34.3" diameter, or 285/70R19.5 tires which are 35.2" diameter. The old 35s were about 34.6" diameter, so those two tires straddle your target.
Michelin Americas Truck Tires XZE2+ Page

If you go for the 8.25" wide wheels, you can mount Michelin XZA 305/70R19.5, which are 36.3" diameter and 11.8" wide. Those tires require 13.5" spacing for duals (IOW, the distance from the center of the inside wheel to the center of the outside wheel must be at least 13.5") .
Michelin Americas Truck Tires - XZA

The only place I know to get dually rims wider than 6.75" is to have them custom made by Stockton Wheel Service - Custom Wheels.
But Rickson has been known to make expensive custom rims too, so check with them too.

At the NTxPSA regional rally last year, some guy came in all the way from Wyoming driving a very nice 6.4 dually with 35" tires and the correct rims for the tires. He drove away with best of show award. Maybe go to the Events and Rallies forum here and look for the North Texas website and find out who he was? I'm sure he's a member of TheDieselStop. You could pick his brains about how much it cost him to set up his rig to show-winning condition. But hang onto your checkbook - I'm sure it was a BUNCH of moola.
I do want to go bigger for differential height increase for the dirt, therefore 37's might be the way to go. I would probably need to go to 22" wheels - right. The width is still an issue, what do you think I can get away with?

·
Premium Member
18,870 Posts
You should really click your own links, ...]
I did, but then I misread it because Michelin scrambled the sizes and stuck the 6.75 off to the right :eek:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe a little too aggressive but very interesting

As another option it looks like firematic is fitting these on stock suspension F-450/550 C&C:

I think that these are a little too aggressive for a great deal of highway use. Thank you and I will consider. Still looking to get into something with aggressive tread but good highway feel (noise).
:ford::thumbsup:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Want to use 37" tires, can I use with a 4" lift?

·
Registered
207 Posts
The answer is yes. As all who tow heavy loads in this truck know the truck squats a bit when under load. My friend has an 08 F450 that has an ICON 4.5" lift (only has a 1" lift block in the rear on stock leafs) and he clears Toyo MT 37" on 24" American Forces. I can say that when he hauls his 44" Weekend Warrior its close (tires touching wheel wells) when he is in a pivot position (axle twist occurs) BUT I have never seen any signs of rubber shredding. Bear in mind that where we take our trucks is in the sand and are hauling our rigs in bumpy conditions carrying pretty good speed so I think you are safe.

I contemplated the same and think after seeing it all, I am going to try 2" leveling kit with Toyo M/T 35" on 22" American Forces. I get the aggressive tread without having to spend an arm and a leg on the lift. Wheels and tires are expensive enough.

Hope this helps!

Want to use 37" tires, can I use with a 4" lift?

·
Registered
105 Posts
This guy has 285/70/19.5 tires with what appears to be stock rims. I could be wrong though.

4502851.jpg

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Glamis PSD

The answer is yes. As all who tow heavy loads in this truck know the truck squats a bit when under load. My friend has an 08 F450 that has an ICON 4.5" lift (only has a 1" lift block in the rear on stock leafs) and he clears Toyo MT 37" on 24" American Forces. I can say that when he hauls his 44" Weekend Warrior its close (tires touching wheel wells) when he is in a pivot position (axle twist occurs) BUT I have never seen any signs of rubber shredding. Bear in mind that where we take our trucks is in the sand and are hauling our rigs in bumpy conditions carrying pretty good speed so I think you are safe.

I contemplated the same and think after seeing it all, I am going to try 2" leveling kit with Toyo M/T 35" on 22" American Forces. I get the aggressive tread without having to spend an arm and a leg on the lift. Wheels and tires are expensive enough.

Hope this helps!
This does help immensely, I use the truck to pull a 35' Gear Box with a v8 sand car in it. The weight does not reach the 44 footer described but still packs a load.

The height will keep the diff. out of the sand but the set up with the American Force rims is pricey. Therefore I may go with the 35's also with a leveling kit if I need it. The 35's will get a couple inches more clearance than the stock 225's right? Do the Toyo MT's make a lot of road noise when using? Sometimes a little less aggressive tread (AT's) makes a big difference, on the road. What do you think? - it is a balance between road comfort (traveling 3 hours to the desert) and perhaps 20 - 30 minutes of off road use to get to a camping spot. I go to buttercup and superstition mostly, run in sand and hardpack.

Maybe I'll see you sometime:thumbsup:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Ryans Dad

This guy has 285/70/19.5 tires with what appears to be stock rims. I could be wrong though.

View attachment 6658
This is a nice truck, but I am trying to put a little more aggressive tire for off road use under the truck. American Force makes a wheel that looks like those - I could be wrong also.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This does help immensely, I use the truck to pull a 35' Gear Box with a v8 sand car in it. The weight does not reach the 44 footer described but still packs a load.

The height will keep the diff. out of the sand but the set up with the American Force rims is pricey. Therefore I may go with the 35's also with a leveling kit if I need it. The 35's will get a couple inches more clearance than the stock 225's right? Do the Toyo MT's make a lot of road noise when using? Sometimes a little less aggressive tread (AT's) makes a big difference, on the road. What do you think? - it is a balance between road comfort (traveling 3 hours to the desert) and perhaps 20 - 30 minutes of off road use to get to a camping spot. I go to buttercup and superstition mostly, run in sand and hardpack.

The 35's should get you a little over 1.5" of clearance over stock. I had 37" Toyo AT's on my other Ford(srw) and they did awesome in the sand. On the road, they was no road noise whatsoever.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Same here

The height will keep the diff. out of the sand but the set up with the American Force rims is pricey. Therefore I may go with the 35's also with a leveling kit if I need it.
Try this company http://www.wtwpolishing.com @ (206) 992-9888
  • 6 -Alcoa 22.5" shaved & trued to 22" (2-steer polished, 2-drive polished, 2-drive mill finished inners) for $1,100 plus $245 shipping, no tax
  • 4 - Aeromotive 10-10 lug adapters $850 for the set
  • No caps, though but those are relatively cheap
The 35's will get a couple inches more clearance than the stock 225's right?
Ground clearance yes. You can go to this site 4Lo.com :: Tire Size Change, New Gear Ratio Calculator to figure out the difference tire size change has on gearing and overall tire height. Tire heights 225/70-19.5 = 31.4. 35x12.50-22 = 34.8". So say with no lift you get almost 1-3/4" of lift, tires alone.

If you have 4.30s in your D110 (Job 1, Job 2, or Job 3), your effective drive ratio will become 3.88. If you have 4.88s (Job 1, Job 2 only), your effective ratio will about 4.40.

Pros (if you have 4.30s)(if 4.88s, this is a no brainer)
  • Doing this without re-gearing will improve your MPG.
Cons (if you have 4.30s)(if 4.88s, no concern)
  • Towing will be impacted (slower acceleration off the line)
Do the Toyo MT's make a lot of road noise when using? Sometimes a little less aggressive tread (AT's) makes a big difference, on the road. What do you think? - it is a balance between road comfort (traveling 3 hours to the desert) and perhaps 20 - 30 minutes of off road use to get to a camping spot. I go to buttercup and superstition mostly, run in sand and hardpack.
I am an M/T guy myself just because I like the look and I am in the sand all the time although I have never tried an A/T. As for tires, I loved my Toyo's listed in sig. The only other tire I would try is the Kuhmo Road Venture MT KL71. No experience but love the look. I ruled that one out because they don't make a 35" on 22 size so Toyo it is.

Yeah you never know. I am always camped with the Eyeball Fabrication guys on the west side (far side) of the canal. If you ever go on http://www.glamisdunes.com I have the same userID "GlamisPSD". Look me up, pics of car on avatar.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts