The Diesel Stop banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is this for a 2008 model F450? I cant seem to find wheels that have the 10 holes?

The answer is yes. As all who tow heavy loads in this truck know the truck squats a bit when under load. My friend has an 08 F450 that has an ICON 4.5" lift (only has a 1" lift block in the rear on stock leafs) and he clears Toyo MT 37" on 24" American Forces. I can say that when he hauls his 44" Weekend Warrior its close (tires touching wheel wells) when he is in a pivot position (axle twist occurs) BUT I have never seen any signs of rubber shredding. Bear in mind that where we take our trucks is in the sand and are hauling our rigs in bumpy conditions carrying pretty good speed so I think you are safe.

I contemplated the same and think after seeing it all, I am going to try 2" leveling kit with Toyo M/T 35" on 22" American Forces. I get the aggressive tread without having to spend an arm and a leg on the lift. Wheels and tires are expensive enough.

Hope this helps!
I really want to put 305/40/22 on my F450 dually 2008 model but I am struggling to find wheels to fit with 10 lugs? Any ideas would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Your only choices for a direct bolt on are American Force wheels. Your options for 22" wheels if you are willing to put adaptors (10x225) to semi (10x275) on are broader as any Alcoa semi truck rim (Peterbilt, Freightliner cut, etc.) are available if shaved from 22.5 to 22. Adaptors run about $1,000/set.

The post listed above is running adaptors as when that post was done. American Force didn't offer a direct bolt on solution back then.

Hope this help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can go with wider tires, but only after you buy and install new wheels that are made for both your truck's hubs and the wider tires.

Stock wheels on the '08-'10 F-450s are 19.5"x6". The biggest tires you can mount on those wheels (per the tire manufacturer's specs) is the tires that came on it. 225/70R19.5.

Bigger tires are made for the 19.5" wheels, but the wider wheels required for those tires are not cheap and they are hard to find. The next bigger size is 19.5"x6.75", then 19.5x7.50" and then 19.5x8.25".

Back off your dreams to the next size up from stock, 245/70R19.5, and you have the tires that come on Ford RV chassis, so the 19.5"x6.75" wheels are available from Ford and probably other suppliers.

Stock-size tires are 32.2" diameter. 245s are 33.6", or equivalent to the old "inch" 34s (which were about 33.6" diameter too).
Michelin Americas Truck Tires XZE

With 7.5" wide wheels, you can choose 265/70R19.5 tires that are 34.3" diameter, or 285/70R19.5 tires which are 35.2" diameter. The old 35s were about 34.6" diameter, so those two tires straddle your target.
Michelin Americas Truck Tires XZE2+ Page

If you go for the 8.25" wide wheels, you can mount Michelin XZA 305/70R19.5, which are 36.3" diameter and 11.8" wide. Those tires require 13.5" spacing for duals (IOW, the distance from the center of the inside wheel to the center of the outside wheel must be at least 13.5") .
Michelin Americas Truck Tires - XZA

The only place I know to get dually rims wider than 6.75" is to have them custom made by Stockton Wheel Service - Custom Wheels.
But Rickson has been known to make expensive custom rims too, so check with them too.

At the NTxPSA regional rally last year, some guy came in all the way from Wyoming driving a very nice 6.4 dually with 35" tires and the correct rims for the tires. He drove away with best of show award. Maybe go to the Events and Rallies forum here and look for the North Texas website and find out who he was? I'm sure he's a member of TheDieselStop. You could pick his brains about how much it cost him to set up his rig to show-winning condition. But hang onto your checkbook - I'm sure it was a BUNCH of moola.
I have a brand new 2019 ram 4500 with the polish 19.5x6 with the stock 225/70s I want to put toyos 245/70 on the 19.5x6.. do you think it’s ok with no problems? For a beefer look and stance?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Smokey Wren hasn't been on this forum in a long time (and he is missed). Ever since he sold his Sierra Blanca and replaced it with a new F150 gasser (and replaced that one too), he's been over at F150Forums.

The Tire Industry Safety Council, the Rubber Manufacturers Association, the Tire and Rim Association, all of the truck tire manufacturers individually, as well as truck wheel manufacturers individually, along with OEMs like FCA and FORD... all agree that the widest 19.5" tires that will fit to the specifications of the 6" wide wheel for designed shoulder support is the 225.

If you want to go with wider section width tires, and still take advantage of all the engineering and testing that the industry has already worked out and refined over decades of time, trial, and error, then you would want to do exactly what Ford did in 2020 when Ford released the new F-600 and wanted to put 245 tires on it. Ford fitted the F-600 with 6.75" wide wheels. If it were OK to mount 245s on 6" wide wheels, then Ford would not have increased the production cost and complexity of adding yet another wheel size to the chassis cab production line.

Lots of individual owners mount 245 tires on their stock 6" wide rims. They have only themselves to lose, rather than dismayed stock holders and Henry Ford's grandson wrath to answer to for incurring needless negligent liability.

There are several sources of 6.750" wide 19.5" diameter 10 lug wheels available in the aftermarket. And I think Ford and Dodge 10 lug chassis cab wheels can interchange, so you could buy certain 1999 and up Ford Class A motorhome take off wheels as well ( a lot of those are 22", but quite a few are 19.5" x 6.75").

·
Registered
2 Posts
Smokey Wren hasn't been on this forum in a long time (and he is missed). Ever since he sold his Sierra Blanca and replaced it with a new F150 gasser (and replaced that one too), he's been over at F150Forums.

The Tire Industry Safety Council, the Rubber Manufacturers Association, the Tire and Rim Association, all of the truck tire manufacturers individually, as well as truck wheel manufacturers individually, along with OEMs like FCA and FORD... all agree that the widest 19.5" tires that will fit to the specifications of the 6" wide wheel for designed shoulder support is the 225.

If you want to go with wider section width tires, and still take advantage of all the engineering and testing that the industry has already worked out and refined over decades of time, trial, and error, then you would want to do exactly what Ford did in 2020 when Ford released the new F-600 and wanted to put 245 tires on it. Ford fitted the F-600 with 6.75" wide wheels. If it were OK to mount 245s on 6" wide wheels, then Ford would not have increased the production cost and complexity of adding yet another wheel size to the chassis cab production line.

Lots of individual owners mount 245 tires on their stock 6" wide rims. They have only themselves to lose, rather than dismayed stock holders and Henry Ford's grandson wrath to answer to for incurring needless negligent liability.

There are several sources of 6.750" wide 19.5" diameter 10 lug wheels available in the aftermarket. And I think Ford and Dodge 10 lug chassis cab wheels can interchange, so you could buy certain 1999 and up Ford Class A motorhome take off wheels as well ( a lot of those are 22", but quite a few are 19.5" x 6.75").
Thank you for you helpful knowledge.. I guess I will replacing it with the same size just more aggressive thread in to Toyo line up ..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you for you helpful knowledge.. I guess I will replacing it with the same size just more aggressive thread in to Toyo line up ..
I would recommend that you check out Toyo Open Country MT if you are still looking for a new set of tires. It has an aggressive tread pattern that you may want. Reviews online are pretty impressive and most of my friends told me that it provides a good grip even on a snowy trail.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I would recommend that you check out Toyo Open Country MT if you are still looking for a new set of tires. It has an aggressive tread pattern that you may want. Reviews online are pretty impressive and most of my friends told me that it provides a good grip even on a snowy trail.
The link in the quoted post above goes to an online retail tire business called "4wheelpartsonline", the same business which member Andre Evans likewise links to in other tire related posts.

Ssbuilt808 is looking to replace 19.5" tires. The Toyo Open Country MT is not offered in a 19.5" tires size.

To find Toyo brand tires made for 19.5" wheels, one can visit Toyo Tires - Commercial (the informational website of the Toyo Tires manufacturer, not a forum promoted online retailer).

The more "aggressive" treads among the Toyo tires offered in the 19.5" size are the traditional M608 and the newer M655 tire models. Both are available in the 225 mm width appropriate for the stock 6" wide rims. If the 6" wide wheels are swapped out with 6.75" width replacements, then the same M608 and M655 tires are available in 245 mm widths.

The M655 has more sipes in each tread block. The additional sipes are generally more favorable for wet traction.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts