The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, this is my first post on the forums.

I was finally able to get the truck of my dreams recently. It is a 1984 F-350 Diesel Dually with under 85,000 miles on it. It runs like a dream and starts like it was just out of the factory.

I was reading that the older diesels are pretty forgiving on alternative fuels as long as it is clean and the correct viscosity (This thing doesn't have any emissions regulation on it, it's pre-cat, mechanically injected)

My dad works as an industrial HVACR guy with unlimited access to old compressor oils. Has anybody ever used compressor and transformer oils as fuel?

I am under the understanding that the addition of tranny fluid and some acetone can be used to improve lubricity and reduce viscosity, and being that it was used to lubricate compressors, I wouldn't imagine it would be particularly poor condition. I am also toying with the idea of using filtered WMO with this as well.

I am trying to avoid biodiesel under fears of what methanol will do to the older fuel system, but I have thought of using a light blend of straight, filtered WVO with the rest of my concoction. It explicitly says "Do not add gasoline or alcohol to fuel system!"

Luckily, I have the dual fuel tanks to experiment with this. It's a great truck, but $4/gallon isn't quite as nice!

- Matt

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Everyone else uses RUG for mixing.
I've heard something about transformer oil before. Can't remember good or bad.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Welcome to the Diesel Stop. There should be a section devoted to alternate fuels. I would start there, I remember paying over$5.00/gal so I’m not going to complain about $4.00.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Great find on that truck with such low miles.

I don’t understand why you are concerned about running BioD but not concerned about running used motor oil and those other home remedies.

Is it specifically the methanol risk to plastics and rubber?

I would sure hate to see you damage such a rare gem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand that gas(all the ethanol junk) and bioD(with methanol) are very hard on the rubber bits. An old friend of mine has a deuce n a half with a similar engine and he is adamant about avoiding alcohols.

If i could find RUG without ethanol, id try to use it for the thinning agent, its near impossible to find in western PA. Im under the impession the 84 6.9 idi is pretty easy to run alt fuels but im concerned with the fuel system prior to the engine!

I did indeed take chemistry in college but it's not possible to know exactly what is in the oils ? unless somebody would donate a nice nuclear spectrometer to the cause!

I was also talking to an old friend of mine who is a petrochemical engineer, he was saying direct and indirect injection engines are very different for alt fuels.. I think he said the IDI doesnt coke but the direct does, can anybody confirm??

My 84 is my only daily driver but id like to afford it ?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Yeah, coking seems to mainly come down to filtering.
But.... from my own research (watching other people) idi's are worse at coking than DI.
I think it's mainly combustion chamber(?) Design. DI is wide open. Idi has the precup, so the injector tips and glowplugs don't see as high of direct heat.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts