The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,476 Posts
When you put moisture into the equation all bets are off.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Several ways to compute Wind Chill Factor some do not use humidity in the formula. However, Bugman is correct, you will not reduce temperature below ambient. The Wind Chill Factor charts came about in Artic exploration as a way to prevent frostbite.
DENNY

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
A good rule to live by:
Never argue with a man from Wyoming about wind !
😉
Yep, years ago a driver said on his CB, hey, the wind quit! Then some quick-thinking individual answered back, if the wind ever quit in WY everybody would fall down!:grin2:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Right, and quite a few "keyboard mechanics" have argued wind chill only applies to living flesh. Park your truck on a 10° day in the sun with no wind and the cab will be way warmer than the same temp on a windy day. Even with a dark color the cold wind sucks the heat right out of the sheet metal.

speaking in engineering terms wind chill is a fake number, you can not get below ambient on a dry surface no matter how much wind you have, I would wager that to which they are referring, but wind will help take a warm engine down to ambient faster, and cause you to have to input more energy into it to get to a desired temp with wind in the equation.

But once homeostasis with the ambient temperature wind will cease to have any effect on it until we desire to raise the temp. (Wish I had a wind break for my car and truck as out here you really need it as stuff be cold!)

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
That heater draws some amps.
Actually... wind moving across moisture...
Right - "wind chill" only applies to liquid water, and only when relative humidity is below 100%. Relative humidity doesn't apply to air below 32°F because there is no humidity in that air. But as that air strikes a warm object/body, the air warms. If it comes above 32 its relative humidity is 0% at that instant, causing extreme wind chill ONLY to wet/damp/humid surfaces. Yes, wind will cool dry surfaces faster than stagnant air does, but that's not what "wind chill" means. Only keyboard physicists/meteorologists confuse that term. ;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yep, years ago a driver said on his CB, hey, the wind quit! Then some quick-thinking individual answered back, if the wind ever quit in WY everybody would fall down!:grin2:
Yep same here, I wish you guys would stop sending your wind on up north here. Getting tired of it . :smile2:

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
When I was moving to Kansas, I was told that there was nothing between Kansas, and the North Pole, but a barb wire fence, and it leans south. I've been to Wyoming, and when you can get passed by an empty Coke can @ 60 mph...well that's more wind than I ever saw anywhere in Kansas.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts