The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is going on with this thing ???? 2002 F350 7.3 I blow the horn while sitting in a parking lot and it died just like I turned the key off. It restarted with no problem and runs great. I have never seen this happen on anything. Fusebox problem or what ????? Anyone ever heard of this happening on these trucks... Thanks

·
Super Moderator
26,395 Posts
Never heard of that happening before.

But maybe you have a short between the horn and cruise wiring. Does cruise work OK? The cruise wiring goes to the PCM which might kill the engine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Klhansen this truck is trying me again. I will do some more diggin to see what works and what don't and get back with ya. 444-4D what makes you think I have a DP tuner? Which I don't !!!!! Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you ever find out what the problem was??? Mine is doing the same thing....plus also when I push my windshield washer fluid, it kills the engine. Thanks!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brant02, It was the crank positioning sensor pigtail. Cut off the pigtail down on the front of the motor and replace it with a new pigtail from the dealer. (It is a dealer-only part). Get your new pigtail before cutting it off so you can measure the length. I suggest soddering and heat-shrinking the wires to protect the wires. This fixed the problem. :ford:

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
You can get the CPS pigtail from most of your local auto parts stores, but they may need a day to get it in. I had to replace my dad's (damn mice chewed it right at the sensor) and we got it from O'Reilly Autoparts. Seems like it was about $10 but can't remember for sure. I agree with soldering& shrink tubing it, that's how I fixed my dad's. It's pretty easy to pull the wires up along the front cover to get easier access to repair it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hmmmm....I checked O'Reilly's as well as the other autoparts stores, and they said they didn't carry it and could not order it. Maybe they do now.
Good to know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brant02, It was the crank positioning sensor pigtail. Cut off the pigtail down on the front of the motor and replace it with a new pigtail from the dealer. (It is a dealer-only part). Get your new pigtail before cutting it off so you can measure the length. I suggest soddering and heat-shrinking the wires to protect the wires. This fixed the problem. :ford:

So after you replaced the Crank positioning sensor pigtail it actually fixed the issue of shutting off when pressing the horn and the wiper sprayer?
If this fixes mine (I am having the same issue) I am going to be so happy I have spent hour and hours looking at the wiring schematics and thinking it was a bad computer or wires in the column that I have over looked. I will try it and hope it works

·
Super Moderator
26,395 Posts
The 7.3L doesn't have a crank position sensor, but does have a cam position sensor. It's pretty vital to the engine running, and there have been instances where operating the windshield wiper with a certain CPS caused a shutdown (I have experienced that). The CPS circuit is sensitive to interference from other sources.
First be sure you have a Ford CPS (some aftermarket ones are more sensitive). If putting in a Ford CPS doesn't fix it, then check the wiring.
On my issue, putting chokes on the wiper wiring resolved the issue, but you might have to do more than just the wiper circuits.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts