The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. 2001 7.3 F350. 275k miles. Replaced injectors 5-6 months ago because it started running like crap / weak.. After I put in (rebuilt) injectors she ran like new. Couple weeks ago she started with thick white(?) Smoke on startup but faded out after warming up.
One day it started cranking and then STOP. It was like a hammer handle was put in a cylinder. Hydro lock? I let it sit, next day she started up with same whitish smoke.
It sat a few days until this AM. I needed her for work. Cranked her up and white smoke as before. Pulled out of my yard and the engine started making loud knocking noise and smoke from the tailpipe like I've never seen. Right back into driveway.
Checked - no oil in coolant and no coolant in oil. Oil is right on full line. I changed oil maybe 3-4 weeks ago and used the popular stiction product. Coolant reserve tank shows about 1 inch lower than "full when cold" line. That's new - never seen the coolant low in the 21 years I've owned her. Bought new.
I didn't replace injector cups when replacing injectors because of cost, and I was nervous to try that...
By looking/listening to the video, any guidance or direction is MOST appreciated. I've watched enough cup replacement videos to feel comfortable with that.
Oh. Wicked wheel turbo upgrade 5-6 years ago.

Edit: Apologies for duplicate post. The first one indicated an error, didn't think it was saved.. Thank You moderator for fixing this!

Also:
  • The smoke does have the smell of diesel fuel but faint.
  • When I installed injectors some months ago they did seat properly. (I didn't bang on the coils).
  • It ran excellent for 5-6 months, was supremely happy with the new injectors.
  • Using Forscan on laptop:
  • Buzz test sounds great.
  • DTC 1275 Injector #5 low to high failure. The code won't clear.
  • Can't run contribution test because I can't start engine without maybe causing more damage.
  • The knocking sound "seemed" to be from the passenger side of engine, not certain.

• Took a 5 second video on cell then shut it off.
  • Site won't let me upload mp4 video... Trying to find a way to share the video... Trying Facebook post...
2001 F350 suddenly developed a slight issue

·
Premium Member
8,284 Posts
Did you evacuate the fluids from the cylinders before installing your injectors? Failure to do so will cause a complete hydro lock. If it sat a while before starting, fluids will leak past rings. Some fluids will be left and cause a hard knock. Either way it will not run fine and then do what you are reporting. Cracked cups or Orings won’t do that as you would have cross fluid contamination.
Now if you did not properly seat the injectors (pushing down until you here a thud) before torquing them and you ran the engine for a while, The compression will lift the cup. Now coolant will slip past the outside of the bottom of the cup into the cylinder when the engine is shut off. Come out in the morning and hard knock and white smoke.
Pull you valve covers and I believe you find white oil on the inside of covers.
You may or may not have bent connecting rods enough to shorten the stroke and lower compression. Only way to tell at that point is to pull injectors. While doing so note if and are loose. Pull injectors. Install new cups ( don’t attempt that without checking back in. Put new Orings on injectors,evacuate, spin, spin, install glow plugs,change oil,let idle for half hour, pull glow plugs and take compress readings. You may have gotten lucky. If you did not, you or a shop can use those heads on a short block.
That’s what you have going on with that engine my friend.
Don’t you dare try to start that engine beforehand.
Cross your fingers and piggy toes.

·
Administrator
27,293 Posts
If the smoke smells like unburnt fuel and makes your eyes water, I think you've got an injector that may be stuck open, or has a broken nozzle.
You can try and isolate it by removing the valve covers and disconnecting each injector while it's running. When the smoke disappears, you've found the culprit.
Be careful with the injector circuits, they carry in excess of 100V and can bite you.

·
Premium Member
8,284 Posts
He just installed rebuilt injectors. He is a rookie mechanic and most likely has going on what I wrote. Just attempting to start it could throw a rod. Right now there is a chance of saving that engine.
Do respect you Kevin. Don’t put me in a corner for this post.

·
Administrator
27,293 Posts
He just installed rebuilt injectors. He is a rookie mechanic and most likely has going on what I wrote. Just attempting to start it could throw a rod. Right now there is a chance of saving that engine.
Do respect you Kevin. Don’t put me in a corner for this post.
Nick, no disrespect intended. I posted my reply to the OP's other thread that had the video. That thread has been deleted and I edited his post here to include the link to his video and moved my reply here. I had not seen your post first. That being said, there have been more than one rebuilt injector that was bad out of the box.
But your analysis may be right also.
If he's worried about a hydrolock, turning the engine at least two turns by hand will find that.

·
Premium Member
8,284 Posts
Not if it’s slowly leaking down when engine is off and it’s not a lot.
Depending on how long it was going on, he might have white oil on the bottom of his oil fill cap.
Bad injector from the box would not account for the coolant loss he reported.

·
Administrator
27,293 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,284 Posts
Come on man!!
It’s ok. You were distracted by the Fathers Day BBQ and barely pops. Think the same with Mark. He told a guy to take his truck to somebody who knows transmissions. I don’t mind holding down the fort but I am not retired like you two.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
afa4ja, what is the status of your truck?
It's waiting for me to finish a client network install and a cooler couple days. It's been 97-100 here in Alabama.
Do I need to close this thread until I tear it apart?
My next step is to remove one glow plug at a time & try to spin by hand.OH! I did a buzz test and all 8 solenoids sounded strong and like the others. There is a code indicating something wrong with #5... So I'll try odd side& #5 glow plug first.
Will not try to run engine on again until it's safe to do so.

·
Premium Member
8,284 Posts
No need for you to close this thread. We are here to help. I was just curious.
Have you removed the oil fill cap, turned it over and looked from milky looking oil residue?
Do you own or have access to a cooling system pressurizer and reservoir adapter? You can pressurize to see if coolant level goes down.
Take your time with getting back to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I don't want to start it for fear of pushing a possible repair into replace territory. Don't have a pressure test system but that is a terrific idea. Didn't think to check for blowby after this horrible development - but - I did check before when ther cold start white smoke was happening. Very minimal blowby noticed out the oil filler cap. The smoke concerns me. But the loud knock concerns me more. It sounds metal on metal.

·
Premium Member
8,284 Posts
You are not checking for blowby by looking at the bottom of the cap for milky looking oil.
When a cup lifts due to a loose injector, the coolant slips under the bottom of the injector cup. It enters the cylinder. This can cause a total lock depending on the amount of coolant in the cylinder. If it’s not enough for a total lock and the engine starts, the coolant is forced into the crankcase in a mist. It will rise within the crankcase and depending on length of time said condition lasted, it will collect on a valve cover or valve covers and possibly the bottom of the oil fill cap.
The coolant mist will mix with oil mist and give the appearance of milk.
You should go online and by a Stant pressurizer and adapter cap.
I strongly suspect that when you installed your injectors, you did not start the retaining play on the fixed stud and then press down on the other side of the plate (the side you torque down the bolt), with a hammer handle with rubber on it so it wouldn’t slip, until you herd the thud of the injector bottoming out before running the bolt in and torquing it. ( time to be honest).. Don’t be embarrassed. Lot of people do not and got darn lucky and some experienced what you have going on or worse.
If one fails to take the above step, one risks a false torque reading and the injector works loose and the cup raises.
My intent was not to offend or embarrass you by calling you a Rookie and I do not apologize for having done so. My intent was to make you realize that you are just that. That you were over your head and could possibly destroy your engine if you didn’t stop and reach out to an expert. For this, you are welcome.
Don’t do a thing without checking in.
Buy the tester and cap on Amazon. You are going to need new oil, filter and coolant.
You are going to need: cups, installation kit from Rosewood and injector Orings but we will cross that bridge when we get to it.
You will also need a diesel compression gauge and a 7.3 glow plug hole test fitting for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If there is blowby - combustion gasses getting past piston rings into lower block, it will take the path of least resistance - the valve cover hole where oil filler cap goes. Ixm re-sleeving a Kubota 902d because of massive blowby.
I'll stuff the borescope down the filler tube looking for the milky white oil layer.
Thanks for the reminder of a glowplug compression adapter. I'll get that ordered.
"Rookie" is offensive. I'm not "over my head". I merely asked this group for guidance based on the textual description and video presented. Maybe some in this group experienced the same exact symptoms and could relay what they found the cause/fix.
No person other than me has laid hands on this truck since I purchased it new. I rebuilt the turbo when the pedestal O-Ring gave out b; Rebuilt the entire front end, typical brake jobs; door lock actuators; passenger side fuel return line (made from brake line) etc etc.
I've rebuilt the 350sbc in my 81 Corvette into a 383 stroker. The block was dipped, magnafluxed, noted and decked by a machine 3 shop but I did the clearance work so the piston rods wouldn't hit the bottom of the cylinder walls. I assembled it all. I welded my own run stand to break it in and test for failures etc. Itxs a flat tapper cam because of budget. Rebuilt the entire front and rear suspension in my shop including new control arm bushings and trailing arm bushings 7s.ing my press. Do I know everything? Hell no. Am I a "rookie"? Not in any sense of the term. It's a derogatory term especially when used by someone without knowing the target. Saying g you don't apologize is more than arrogant, it's borderline narcissistic.

·
Premium Member
8,284 Posts
I’ve been doing this for 37 years. I’ve been a shop foreman to 43 techs. I’ve been a physical auditor for GM. I know a rookie. I don’t have to “know” him..just his situation and knowledge of it. That does not mean that my statement was narcissistic.
Your Kubota.. What was the compression? How much water column movement did you have on your manometer to make you conclude there was excessive blowby?

I don’t argue. I help.

You will receive help from different member.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts