The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw over on the Blue Oval New website that they are being sued by Ford. Not a whole lot of details on why yet. I suspect they posted information that was for internal use at Ford only. I can understand why if they published trade secrets and that type of thing, but I wonder if Ford contacted them to remove it before suing? Kind of like killing the messenger .. they need to find who in their organization leaked the info first.

Jason

------------------
Ford-Diesel.Com Webmaster
1997 F-250 PSD 5-speed Banks Stinger-Plus

·
Registered
53 Posts
Check out the info on the 2003 SD PSD. They have some pages posted that show a comparison to a Dodge, Chevy, current PSD, and the new 6.0L. The pages are real fuzzy. I copied them and viewed under 200x magnification. Looks like the new 6.0L will have torque in excess of 500lbs. It looked like 550lbs on the picture, but it was really fuzzy at that magnification. Anyway 2003 looks like a good year to upgrade

·
Registered
264 Posts
looks like the B.O.N. is SOL,the info that they posted after the suit looks to be very "touchy" that alone may be a good reason to shut the site down,why did they post that kind of info if they will be in court the next day....why did they shoot their own foot off like that?

------------------
97 s/c psd 4x4 xlt
soon to be a 00 f350 c/c
with all the toys

·
Registered
290 Posts
EECTECH:

I think that BON posted the info because they knew that they would not have the opportunity to post it in the future. The Judge in Detroit is going to shut them down and forbid those individuals from posting those documents.

I also think the deal with the Cobra irritated FMC to a great degree. BON was the first place that I read about the problems with the Cobra. With only 5000 produced the negative response to the vehicle and the way that the dealers and FMC responded was unbelievable. BON published the emails from Cobra owners on its site! Certainly FMC was Blue in the face. FMC was forced to admit that the engine was in fact low on power!

The big question is, which site will be next?
We all know that FMC employees read this site. Some problems with the new SDs have been addressed yet others have not. To some degree internal info is shared on this site as well.
To read about the dealings of the auto industry check out http://www.autoextremist.com
These issues are written from an insiders POV. Try to read all the issues if you have the time. A different picture of Detroit is painted.

Okay, back to enjoying my truck...

·
Registered
173 Posts
There has been a trend among auto manufacturers to attempt to enhance their market position by fully enforcing their trademarks, etc. Unfortunately, this can be taken completely out of context and thus, any site that even dares to mention the name of the manufacturer (or a model designation) without consent is effectively infringing on the trademark. Sounds kinda stupid, right? Welcome to the environment of litigation crazed America.

I've been involved with BMW and VW digests for several years and have noticed several trends. Intitially, any public beration of the vehicles or the dealers was forbidden, lest it raise the ire of the manufacturers. Since that time, the vehicles AND the dealers have become fair game.

Beware, Jason. At some point, a Ford exec may read something that isn't flattering about Ford diesels and move to have this site shut down. Reality is that sites such as Ford-Diesel and Blue-Oval-News cost Ford (and other manufacturers) millions of dollars in warranty and other repairs due to the type of information that is conveyed. Take for example the "air box retrofit for the SD" - had I been uninformed, I wouldn't have requested the retrofit. Imagine the numbers of people that have been "affected" by that info - yes, it's public knowledge BUT, like Bill Clinton, the information isn't readilly volunteered.

'Nuf said

------------------
'99 F350 PSD SC 4x4 6 spd XLT Black/Silver
3-gauge pillar mount, engine oil temp, pyrometer, boost
Banks 3 1/2" downpipe

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yes, but. Ford has also received considerable revenue based on this site, how many people here have added things to their orders based on feedback from the site. Things like Aux Idle Control, Limited Slip, etc. I didn't even know Ford offered fog lights for the SD, I haven't been able to get the accessories catalog. Because of this site I will order them and now Ford gets more money.

I too think that BON shot off their own foot today and I am sorry about that. But I think Ford is hurting themselves in the long run. As a stock holder, I intend to tell them so directly.

------------------
2000 F250 SD CC LB 4x4 Lariat,Dp Wdgwood Blue/Harvest Gold, PSD, 6SP, TT, ESOF, LS, Capt Chairs, etc.
Ordered: 7/26/99, Status as of 8/20: To be built 9/20, ETD 10/11

[This message has been edited by jwhunt3 (edited 08-25-1999).]

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
JBC-

Where did you see the info on the 2003 SD?

I've been snooping around there off and on for days and haven't seen a thing except for the "7.3 RIP".

·
Registered
471 Posts
All I can say is that this kind of ordeal makes me extremely irritated and makes my stomach turn.

I can not speak for how B.O.N. got its information, but if the information was "donated" by FMC employees/insiders, then, as any service, BON should be able to post any information it has obtained.

To do sue for such publication is assinine as long as the information is accurate.

As for trademark infringement. It is my understanding that as long as someone is not making money or making claims that they are affiliated with said company by using trademarks and such, then there should be no problem.

Sounds like the generally higher car prices are going to pay the laywers instead of making our vehicles safer, more powerful, more reliable and more economical.

As far as I'm concerned, FMC can bite me! I think we ought to contact a major news organization and get someone there to give this some serious national coverage.

------------------
Jeff Vincent
------------------
2000 F350 XLT 4x4 Crew Cab PU DRW/172 Oxford White
Packages: 627A, 52N, 649, 99F, 449, T35, X61, 153, 18L, 205, 213, 41H, 428, 433, 512, 531, 532, 54Y*, 55R, 552, 58K, 62R, 86R, 90P, 924, 948, 96P
06/26/1999 - Order receipt date
07/12/1999 - DORA processed
07/13/1999 - On hold pending resolution of item availability (54E)
*08/10/1999 - Changed 54E to 54Y (I can't stand the wait! See what you guys are doing to me!)
08/22/1999 - Clean and Unscheduled

·
Registered
53 Posts
There is also info on the new v6 diesel (torque #'s and transmission specs) that is going in the expedition and light duty trucks posted on BON. I don't think discussion of these documents is good as it may bring scrutiny to this website. I don't think I could handle not having my daily fix for PSD info
Anyway I would like to thank Jason for the work he has done to make this site possible. It is truly an invaluble resource to every PSD owner.
I just can't believe that BON would post such sensitive documents. Sure it makes for an interesting read, but it also jepordizes(sp?) Ford's efforts in staying one step ahead of the competition. I would much rather not know about Ford's future engines, etc, if it meant that Ford would continue to have the most powerful diesels available in a truck. I'm sure that Dodge and Chevy engineers are the ones that really benefitted from this information.

------------------
99 F-250 XLT 4x4,SC,SB,PSD,6-speed,camper & tow package,3.73LS,black w/grey int,

·
Registered
165 Posts
The big problem that I have with all this is that Ford will spend the time and money to go after BON, but they stillfon't have a fix for the warped brake rotors on PSD's.

Somebody needs to get their head out of their a** and start looking at the problems and fixing them.

------------------
99.5 White/Tan Lariat F250 PSD CC, Loaded. Born 6/2/99.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Well I guess I should keep my big mouth shut for a while too. Before I get hunted down. If people knew how bad FoMoCo screwed evryone they would never buy a car or truck. Bottom line is $$$ per share for the stock holders. Which probably drive Jags anyhow. They have taken SOOOOO Much material out of cars it is amazing! How does a Crown Vic lose 250lbs in 2 years and not get a design change? By making it a cheap piece of crap, that's how. This BON thing has made me pretty furious. As long as there is unhappy employees there are going to be cats let out of the bag. Only with the net bad news travels at the speed of light. Which I think is great. Sites like this make for a better informed consumer and forces us to demand quality and forces "them" to make it. What next? No more car prices on the web?

------------------
2000 F250 CC,SB,4X4,White,Lariat, loaded,BFG 295/75/16s on 16x8 Weld Outback rims, Glasstite Classic Cap and Stainless tube steps.
"The Beagle Hauler III"
Arrived at Dealer 8/9/99

·
Registered
264 Posts
so.......should i change my "web name" before posting anymore fyi info on updated parts ect.....this bites.... if you pay 35-40k for a truck and there is an update for it,..i think ford should send out a letter to let their customers know....after all,they preach...sales dept sells the first vehicle and service sells next,ect,ect....bottom line a happy customer will buy again...

------------------
97 s/c psd 4x4 xlt
soon to be a 00 f350 c/c
with all the toys

·
Registered
164 Posts
What you are seeing are growing pains for a company as it reacts to a new challenge. Web sites like BON and this one represent a change in power. The Web abhors limitations on information and gives consumers unprecidented power in the form of knowledge. Auto companies spend a great deal on market research but seem to fear consumers researching the auto/truck market. Someday they will view this site as an opportunity to gain infor on how the public views their product. Imagine how successful the PSD Superduties would be if Ford corrected the gripes that have appeared on this site. Until then, Beagle 1 be careful! I appreciate the info you bring to the site and want it to continue.

·
Registered
53 Posts
DirtFarmer
They had some pages that had been scanned and posted as pictures. They were with the other sensitive documents that they posted. They were really fuzzy and some parts were unreadable. There were 3 pages of info on the 2003 SD in which they compared it to a Dodge, Chevy, and current PSD.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I liked the BON and maybe he can win at least some sort of moral victory. Mass-market BON tee-shirts or something like that? Should sell like hotcakes up on Grand River Blvd.

All the same I deal with lawyers all the time and I thought the guy had some sort of legal death wish. What he should have done was spread rumors - like the Wall Street Journal does in their "Heard on the Street" - instead of publishing obviously stolen Ford documents. He did not have to commit legal suicide to gain credibility, just do like Matt Drudge and be right consistently and two weeks before anybody else. Now Drudge has credibility. At least more than the draft dodger.

------------------
83 GMC K2500 6.2 Banks Sidewinder GearVendors

·
Registered
1,338 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I saw the story here first then I saw it in this weekends Barons and in Monday's Wall Street Journal. IT did sstate that the New York Times had to go to court but could publish the pentagon papers even though it was classified under freedom of speech and made the same arguement for BON. I hope this works out this way and they can get back up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts