The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine has done the same thing since new the colder the more smoke. I quit driving it in the winter to keep the neighbors happy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
mine does this also. im not worried. when something breaks i will fix it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Did you guys figure out what was happening? Im having this same issue now, I replaced half my O rings so far... I get blueish white smoke when I start it up without plugging it in, its been about 65 here during the day and 40 at night.
about the previous comment, the turbo could be leaking oil from bad seals?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm not 100 % sure, But I think that mine is caused by the fact that I don't have the air inlet heater on my truck. It never came with one. I have other issues with mine now. Namely that the cold temp fast idle won't work. No codes, just stopped working.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, im new here, and to the diesel world, just got myself a 2002 f250 7.3l PSD (184k) not to long ago and im loving it. Coming from the jeep world im really liking this truck, and it sure seems alot more reliable than the 4.0 in my TJ. ?

Heres the issue im having right now though. Since the weather has been cold its been blowing blue smoke at start up. But ONLY at start up in the MORNING when it hasnt been running for more than, say, 8 hours. Theres no white or black smoke. It smokes for about 5-15 seconds and smells like burnt oil, no sweet smell or heavy diesel smell. During that time it idles a little rough like its burning the oil off, then its as smooth as ever. Plugging it in overnight doesnt make a difference, and glow plugs are fine cause it starts up right away no hesitation at 40 degrees w/o being plugged in. Just blue smoke for a few seconds. AND threre's no noticeable oil loss from the dipstick.

So far i have replaced:
Air filter
Fuel Filter
Changed oil to 5w-40 rotella T synthetic w/ a napa gold oil filter
Fixed a HPOP leak and fuel bowl leak from bad orings (not really relevant)

The only thing i can think of is Valve seals or Injector orings, and judging by the fact that i have yet to read of anyone with bad valve seals on the 7.3 i think its the injector orings.

Am i on the right track or am i missing something?

Blowby, is one possiblity, I have the same issue and I'm getting alot of condensed oil vapor in my intake, as my truck sits and cools after running the evaporated oil condenses in the intake, turbo, and on the Pistons as it warms up and the recirculating air warms all the goo and build up of the intake turpo and piping it runs and drips into the cylinder again, that's why it last a while instead of ONLY clearing what's in the cylinder, easy way to check is to get a 40 dollar catch can and install it on the ccv between the head and the intake, clean the I take, run it through a full warm up cycle the. Clean the intake again, and run as normal for 2 days then check the catch can contents for the amount of oil, if it is blowby causing it, it will drastically decrease the amount of smoke on start up after the catch can is installed, only sure fire fix is new piston oil rings, but a catch can will manage the amount of oil recirculating, if the issue has no change after catch can install, then I would say oil is coming around the Injector cup on one of the cylinders and is resealing once the motor warms up and the materials are pliable again

21 - 25 of 25 Posts