The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Once again I've spent days reading threads only to find the ones that have my answer the solution was never posted. So I have another issue, I have a MAJOR boost leak. I can't even build 1 psi. I have a homemade boost tester I made from a dieseltechron video (God bless) when I hook it up and supply air the air immediately vents out into the driver's side valve cover, I'm assuming into the ccv doghouse. I can't build any pressure whatsoever. I've read post that say some leakage there is expected. I've read some that very slow leakage there is expected. I have major leakage there. I recently rebuilt the injectors and when I did I had taken the ccv doghouse off and cleaned it. Did I possibly put it back together wrong? I've read the diesels don't have a pcv, but is there another kind of valve that is supposed to stop the boost from going into the valve cover/ccv doghouse ?

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Do your pressure test starting on the discharge side of the turbo. Install a plug on the 2 1/2" ID boot, or cap the boot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Great bismac ! thank you for replying. The way I'm doing my pressure test I'm pretty sure I'm basically doing it the same way you're recommending. I'm applying pressure through the map sensor port on the intake manifold. I have cut my whole intercooler out of the equation. I have plugged where the intercooler goes into the intake manifold so basically I'm only pressurizing the intake manifold. The air is rushing out of the driver side valve cover I believe into the doghouse. I'm about to pull the valve cover off and see exactly where the air is coming from. I cannot build any boost because it all just blows right out my valve cover.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
I just now saw your post on the Org and noticed that you switched to introducing it at the MAP sensor nipple. IMO that is a better choice - especially since you are thinking the issue is w/ the intake "downstream" (engine side) of the intake elbow.

Also, I couldn't help but notice you have an aftermarket (tall) oil filter cap. It would be worth getting an OEM cap and using OEM oil filters. But that is for a later time, lol.

I don't think that there is any issue with the ccv system, it is only a closed system (with baffles to "knock down" some of the oil) - not intended to hold any pressure to speak of.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
I am wondering if this is connected with your recent "hydrolock" from the leaking EGR cooler.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
follow up I was experiencing no boost. I tested my VGT solonoid it had power, it actuated and I could watch it move through the pipe hole on the top Soni figured it's not my turbo. I then ait tested my boost system and all the air immediately went into the valve cover. The boost leak going into my valve cover was from a partially open valve. I cranked the motor 3 times to close the valve but kept hearing air in the valve cover during an air test. I decided to move the truck outside to work on it, backed her up parked it and put the boost leak test back on and tried one more time. No air into valve cover this time. I had a partially open valve and when I had cranked it 3 times it just moved a different valve to a partially open position but when I backed her up 20 feet and shut her off the valves finally remained closed. I still had a boost issue and since everything was air tight and I could hear/see/feel my VGT actuate I got to thinking about the vanes not working right because I had rebuilt the turbo. I watched a video from Diesel tech ron (that guy was amazing) about indexing the turbo and IMMEDIATELY knew I didn't set the plunger right. I had just put in back in not paying attention to what tooth was caught first. I took the turbo back apart and low and behold I had grabbed the second tooth. This threw all the timing off on the turbo making it so I had no boost. I'm making 12lbs now but I have a bad EBP I have to replace. I'm a rookie. I've worked on gas my whole life but never even touched a diesel until a month ago. I've done alot of work and fixed alot of issues getting help from the nice guys on forums and reading old Post where people had the same issue. Thanks for the help guys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts