The Diesel Stop banner

Boost leaks

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Gustad2005 
#1 ·
I am down on power and mileage (winter mix). I decided to look for boost leaks. I went to the hardware store and built a boost leak devise. I pumped her up to 15 PSI and wow there was alot of hissing. I noticed alot of the leaks were where the cast lines are on the H pipe and intercooler. Well I pretty much got her all sealed up I think. I was just woundering, is the system suppose to hold 20 psi for lets say 10 min without leaking down? If thats the case I have more leaks. I hope this will help with my low power on hills. Thanks

#2 ·
I don't think it would be 100% tight as you're applying pressure against the piston rings (thru open intake valves) with that test. As long as you can't hear leakage at the intercooler boots you should be good to go.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I havent pulled anything since I fixed the leaks, so time will tell. I noticed i gained 3 to 4 psi WOT, had to turn the turbo master down a bit lol.

Instead of starting a new thread I will ask it here. I went on a trip a couple weeks ago out to WY pulling a flat bed snomobile trailer. My guess the trailer weighed around 7k. I had a hard time pulling hills with my truck in 60t. If your from WY or go west out of Dayton up the Mts you know what kind of grade it is. Anyways I ended up pulling the hills in 2nd and my tranny got up to 220. Also while in 60t the tranny shifted really hard from 1st to 2nd, but fine in other gears while the tranny was above 200. Tuner or tranny? I switched to my stock setting and all was well shifting wise. I dont suppose I did my tranny any good. Might have to save up and head on a 8 hr drive to lead hill :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.