The Diesel Stop banner

Brake and ABS light on, no converter lockup

5K views 39 replies 5 participants last post by  Mark Kovalsky 
So to start, I have a 1993 f250. It's an automatic with the e4od. 117k miles. Rebuilt trans (first owner had it rebuilt one time several years ago, I don't recall what for). It's bone stock minus true dual straight pipe exhaust.

So the other day when I started my truck, I had the brake light and the abs light come on out of nowhere. The previous drive in the truck before this start I did not have any problems. I thought maybe it was just a fluke weird thing that didn't mean anything as I hadn't had any problems, so I drove to where I had to go. I didn't experience any problems or anything weird/unusual. When I went to leave where I went, when I started it up, the lights had gone out. I thought "cool"! It was just a dumb fluke thing. The ride home I was pulling a trailer. As soon as I got going highway speeds, I noticed my rpms were higher than usual. So going 60 I let off the throttle in hopes it'd lock the converter, it didn't. So I floored it hoping it would downshift, then rehit top gear then lock the converter. It didn't. Then the "off" light for turning overdrive off on the gear shifter started blinking. Luckily I was only 8 miles from home, so I just drove it there.

So, like anyone, I went to Google to do some digging as to what all these lights meant. I got that it could be a host of things. I went and bought an obd1 reader and read my KOEO codes and got a throttle position sensor code. I thought "awesome! Thats gotta be it" since I had read that could cause my symptoms. So I tested the sensor and it tested good (signal going to and from the connector and voltage range). So I figured I'd go and buy a new sensor anyway. I went and bought a new sensor replaced it and it did nothing.. I adjusted it within the 1.2v and 4.5v parameters and it did nothing. I checked the codes again and still got a tps code even though it was a new sensor.

I read that vss could be the cause of my symptoms as well. I don't have any other vss symptoms though (speedo works fine, it isn't jumpy or faulty, and i dont have cruise so that's not a factor). Do vss's either work or not? Can a vss work for one aspect of its job but not work for the other? Or do they break and everything it's responsible for breaks?

My master cylinder is full, it isn't a low fluid issue. There is nothing weird or off with the brakes. It brakes and stops without issue as it always has.

I don't have any led bulbs to goof things up. I also do not have a 3rd brake light (which I have read being the culprit on others), mine just has a cargo light.

My brake light bulbs are functional (no broken filaments) and the sockets appear fine as well. I will note on this topic though, that I have fast blink on both side blinkers, but they have been blinking fast for over a year, so I don't think it's related.

I checked all related fuses, and none of them are blown. I checked every fuse for the heck of it too, and I didn't have any fuses blown at all.

Also, I read disconnecting the batteries and letting it sit a while would reset the computer. So I did that and it stopped the "od off" light blinking. But the brake and abs lights remained.

Could I simply have a faulty torque converter and those lights are letting me know that? Is an e4od designed to give brake related lights when the torque converter is messed up?

I'm super at a loss here.. I'm not sure what else to do or check. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Just reading .....U say We can Use a Code Reader on Out older idiot light flashing 1993 Ford ? I have same Motor n Trans in my E350 ..well I think. Its a 7.3 idi with same Trans as U described. I didn't think there is a Throttle positioning sensor because of Gas pedal cable straight to injection pump ...boy I wish this was as Accessible as a Truck ......Anyway I have had the Flashing Red OD light on Trans and a Trans shop said like yours a Throttle Positioning Sensor ...if So where is it located. I have had and serviced this truck and learned return lines ..glow plug relays and Injector seals all fixed by me .....I do have an Occasional Sticky Brake Pedal that worries me ? Anyway Trans has a Banks Shift Module and hits 2nd for towing. I been drivin it like this for 4 1/2 years like this with Trans light flashin....I don't tow but this Van has had a Banks Sidewinder Package for OG owner lake towing boat im sure ...got it with 180.000 now I have 240.00 on it. ....Any help appreciated...can I buy a Code Reader for this model ? And sticky Brakes ? Air pump for vacuum been replaced before

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.