The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have brakes - but the pedal is going down quite a bit farther than it should and it takes more force / pressure to get the brakes to actually engage enough to stop the truck.
I changed the front pads (only 3/4 worn) and the rear shoes are fairly new - plus the E-Brake works perfect.

Installed a new vacuum pump - don't seem to be any vacuum leaks and the pump seems to have plenty of "suction".

Could it be the master cylinder - or possibly the boost drum?

I don't see how the ABS could cause this.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Does it feel like there's no vacuum assist? Like does it feel like the engine is off when you press it?

You said the parking brake works, but double check the adjustment of the shoes anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is plenty of "assist" - the pedal just doesn't "stop" where it usually does - it goes a little too far down - as compared to "usual". It feels a little "soft" as it goes down - until it gets to a certain point - then I have to press quite a bit harder to get the brakes to actually "stop" the truck.

I've searched this form and others for this problem and found various suggestions / fixes / and failed attempts by replacing everything from the vacuum pump / master cylinder / rear brake adjustment / booster drum / RWRABS.

I'll check rear brake adjustment - but is seems like it is somewhere in the system before the wheels.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Could be. Did you bench bleed the master?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Master is the same one that has been on it since I've owned it (7 years) so I have never had to bleed it. I did have a couple of lines rust through at 2 separate times and had to repair - and bleed the system - but I never lost enough fluid to get the master "low" enough to need bleeding.

I see on some of the posts here that the power steering has something to do with the brake boost - maybe it only on the newer than 97 trucks? The reason I mention this - is because my steering is starting to make a "popping" sound when turning the wheel when at idle speed - and I can feel and hear the power steering pump slightly whine. It's full of fluid - I may also need a pump??

It feels like the boost - or maybe the master - is not "engaging" until the pedal goes quite a ways farther than normal - and then I have to apply quite a bit of pressure to get the brakes to actually slow down the truck.
I pull a 28 foot goose-neck cargo (box) trailer - and I use the trailer brakes to help slow down - so I usually don't have to "get into the pedal" much - but when I do - it is just too soft and then takes too much pressure to make the brakes "grab".

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
No hydroboost on these trucks.
That popping is worn components.
Bleed them really good.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I usually do all of my repairs / maintenance myself - unless its something I cant figure out - or don't have the right tools / equipment for.
I finally called my mechanic and he said I should start by pulling the rear hubs off and see if there is a problem there.
I'm going to do that today - if I get time. If I don't find any problems there - I'll probably take it to my mechanic.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Solved my problem.
Right Rear drum brake was out of adjustment.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
That's why that is always the first thing I suggest.
Glad it's working for you.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your help 79jasper! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts