The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier today I jumped in my truck, cranked up, and went to back out of the driveway. My driveway is sloped, so I always put the parking brake on. I pulled the lever for the parking brake and went to back up. The light stayed on, and I started to hear a constant chime.

Odd, so I checked the parking brake, and sure enough it's disengaged. I played around with it a bit, but nothing worked. So I started driving and the chime just won't quit. Everything works fine, brakes are normal, no pulling or dragging, and the ABS works fine (it's snowing so it got a lot of testing today.

What's happening is that the brake light constantly stays lit. Any time I take off from a stop, I get this chime that last for about a minute or so. It will stop dinging as long as I keep driving. Any time I stop at a traffic signal, the instant I start moving again the chiming starts right back up. It's EXTREMELY annoying, and I'm about to rip the dash out and tear out that noise.

I've plugged in Autoenginuity, but no brake codes are coming up. There is nothing stored in the ABS, and the PCM has not stored anything related to the brakes. Under live monitoring there is a way to check the parking brake, and AE was telling me that the parking brake was on, even when I had disengaged it.

So, basically the truck thinks that the parking brake is on, even when it's not, and it's throwing up a light and a dinging noise that won't go away. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
25,492 Posts
Don't know if the 02's are the same as my 99.5, but there's a switch that the pedal contacts when the parking brake is released. If the pedal doesn't come up high enough, it may tell the PCM that the brake isn't released. What has happened to mine is the switch won't activate when the brake is applied, so it wouldn't idle up. I can sit in the driver's seat and mess with the switch under the inst panel with my left hand and get it to activate.

AE has a switch test that has you cycle all the switches (cruise, brake, p-brake, clutch, etc.) to tell you if they are operating. You can also monitor the status of each switch individually (I see you found that).

My bet is that either the wire to the switch is grounded or the switch itself is hanging up.

·
Banned
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fixed it. Just like klhansen mentioned, the switch is under the dash and makes contact with the e-brake pedal assembly. I found the switch to be working just fine, but not making contact. I looked a little more and wedged behind the hood release lever was a rubber spacer that mounts to the pedal assembly. Re-attached it and it works again.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
2004 Ford F250, brake light on dash comes on and chime starts in when driving. I've replaced the parking brake sensor switch, replaced the brake pressure switch on the master cylinder and even replaced the low fluid sensor that is under the brake fluid reservoir and it continues to get worse. It will go off for a few minutes and then come back on as if it has a mind of it's own. I've had two different garages look at it and no one can figure it out. Yesterday we had to make a 160 mile trip and it was driving us nuts again. I stopped at a Ford dealer as it was going off and the mechanic there tested the parking brake and low brake fluid sensor and said they were ok. He is now telling me he thinks it might be the instrument cluster or somewhere in the wiring. Has anyone else run into this or have any suggestions. I'm looking at about a 900 bill if it's the cluster that's bad. Oh, I even pulled the low brake fluid sensor out thinking that might stop this mess, but it did not. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
2004 Ford F250, brake light on dash comes on and chime starts in when driving. I've replaced the parking brake sensor switch, replaced the brake pressure switch on the master cylinder and even replaced the low fluid sensor that is under the brake fluid reservoir and it continues to get worse. It will go off for a few minutes and then come back on as if it has a mind of it's own. I've had two different garages look at it and no one can figure it out. Yesterday we had to make a 160 mile trip and it was driving us nuts again. I stopped at a Ford dealer as it was going off and the mechanic there tested the parking brake and low brake fluid sensor and said they were ok. He is now telling me he thinks it might be the instrument cluster or somewhere in the wiring. Has anyone else run into this or have any suggestions. I'm looking at about a 900 bill if it's the cluster that's bad. Oh, I even pulled the low brake fluid sensor out thinking that might stop this mess, but it did not. Thanks

Did you ever find out what the problem was? i have the exact same thing going on. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, the problem was in fact the instrument cluster. Had a mechanic pull the cluster and check the wiring harness, etc. The wiring was fine so we sent the cluster in for rebuilding and that fixed it. Sent it a place called D&D Instruments which charged about $300 for a rebuild, about half of what Ford wanted for a new cluster. The first rebuild did not fix the problem so they did another and that one worked. Hope this helps.
John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Earlier today I jumped in my truck, cranked up, and went to back out of the driveway. My driveway is sloped, so I always put the parking brake on. I pulled the lever for the parking brake and went to back up. The light stayed on, and I started to hear a constant chime.

Odd, so I checked the parking brake, and sure enough it's disengaged. I played around with it a bit, but nothing worked. So I started driving and the chime just won't quit. Everything works fine, brakes are normal, no pulling or dragging, and the ABS works fine (it's snowing so it got a lot of testing today.

What's happening is that the brake light constantly stays lit. Any time I take off from a stop, I get this chime that last for about a minute or so. It will stop dinging as long as I keep driving. Any time I stop at a traffic signal, the instant I start moving again the chiming starts right back up. It's EXTREMELY annoying, and I'm about to rip the dash out and tear out that noise.

I've plugged in Autoenginuity, but no brake codes are coming up. There is nothing stored in the ABS, and the PCM has not stored anything related to the brakes. Under live monitoring there is a way to check the parking brake, and AE was telling me that the parking brake was on, even when I had disengaged it.

So, basically the truck thinks that the parking brake is on, even when it's not, and it's throwing up a light and a dinging noise that won't go away. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know the part # for the rubber bumper on the parking brake pedal that dis-engages the parking brake warning switch when you release the parking brake ? I also have the problem with the parking brake light and chime driving me crazy, so I looked at the parking brake pedal and the rubber bumper or pedal stop pad is crushed and not making contact with the brake warning switch. I need to order a replacement, but I can't find out what that part is called or the part # to be able to order it. I have a 2002 F-250 Super Duty XLT w/ the 7.3 Diesel. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dewitt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts