The Diesel Stop banner

Brake switch?

857 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  cdnsarguy 
#1 ·
Boy haven't made a post in a while, just been readin post, truck is runnin good but, I just went through brakes and bearings on all four wheels, had a oil seal bad in the rear and bearing and housing (glad I had a donor truck), whee what a job, anywho, before the brake job etc. I only had to lightly touch the pedel to stop (oil soked shoes) so light in fact the brake light switch didn't enguage, now after the brake job the pedel is so good I still don't had the brake lights comming on all the time unless I really mash on it, then I stop too good.

Question, the switch has a spring loaded rod, unless the pedel pressure overcomes the spring loaded switch it won't make, can you adjust this spring tenson or should I just buy a new switch or is it suppost to even had this spring, I need to look closer but, someone out there may know?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
Stoplamp Switch

The mechanical stoplamp switch, installed on the pin of the brake pedal arm, straddles the push rod of the power brake booster (2005) but is not attached directly to the push rod. The F-Series motorhome uses a pushpin style stoplamp switch. The stoplamp switch is located near the brake pedal arm. The stoplamp switch moves with the pedal arm when the brake pedal (2455) is depressed.

The switch actuating pin is held by spring pressure against the rear end of the power brake booster. Because of the slight clearance between the eye of the push rod of the power brake booster and the brake pedal arm pin, the pin and the stoplamp switch move forward slightly before the push rod moves when the brake pedal is depressed. This relative movement between the stoplamp switch and the end of the push rod moves the actuating pin rearward in the stoplamp switch, closing contacts on stoplamp switch and completing the circuit to the rear lamps (13405).

When the brake pedal is released, the stoplamp switch moves rearward in relation to the push rod. The spring in the stoplamp switch returns the actuating pin to its normal position, opening contacts on stoplamp switch and interrupting the circuit to the rear lamps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.