The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, 2003 ford f 250 super duty 4x4 diesel with a 6.0. Hi me again, I can not believe it, I was on here last week with the hub trouble and you men helped me out with that, I had to replace the hub,rotor,caliper and bracket and pads, all new, anyway, I got that all fixed, wheel turn great no grinding, all is well, " BUT " after I road test it I find it pulling to the right, come back jack it up and find I can not turn the wheel, the brake is not releasing, pads are good like new, rotor is good, just that the caliper is staying on, take it all apart looks kind of bad SO I go get a new caliper put it on wheel spins free, I step on the brake, it don`t release, it was not the caliper, oh my God, I open the bleeder, some fluid comes out, not spray as if under pressure, but will not release the brakes, dose anyone have any idea what the trouble could be, this truck is killing this old man. Please help if you can. Thanks for your time.

·
Premium Member
14,667 Posts
Pretty much has to be the master cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Tear in the lining of the break line acting as a on way valve would be my guess. You did clean up and lube the caliper glide pins correct?
DENNY

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
^^ My thought as well, caliper hose sucking down when letting off brake pedal, cutting off fluid flow to return to the master cylinder. When you cracked open the bleeder screw did it release the caliper and let the wheel turn?

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Hi, 2003 ford f 250 super duty 4x4 diesel with a 6.0. Hi me again, I can not believe it, I was on here last week with the hub trouble and you men helped me out with that, I had to replace the hub,rotor,caliper and bracket and pads, all new, anyway, I got that all fixed, wheel turn great no grinding, all is well, " BUT " after I road test it I find it pulling to the right, come back jack it up and find I can not turn the wheel, the brake is not releasing, pads are good like new, rotor is good, just that the caliper is staying on, take it all apart looks kind of bad SO I go get a new caliper put it on wheel spins free, I step on the brake, it don`t release, it was not the caliper, oh my God, I open the bleeder, some fluid comes out, not spray as if under pressure, but will not release the brakes, dose anyone have any idea what the trouble could be, this truck is killing this old man. Please help if you can. Thanks for your time.
Yet he stated that if he cracks the bleeder open and confirms that it opened due to fluid dripping that the brake does not release... that pretty much tells us the problem is NOT hydraulic.

Recheck your work and your parts - it's all new and should not cause brake drag. Just because a caliper is new does not guarantee that it is good. I would remove the caliper and verify that the pistons can be pressed back into the caliper smoothly. Did the caliper come with a new mounting bracket and did you actually use it along with new guide pins that were clean and lubricated? Do the brake pads fit in the bracket properly or are they stuck due to improper assembly, rust and scale or damage? Start there with some methodical and thoughtful disassembly and inspection.

If this were a hydraulic concern and the brake drag is only occurring at one wheel I would suspect a faulty brake line as mentioned or the ABS HCU.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
f this were a hydraulic concern and the brake drag is affectin only one wheel I would suspect a faulty brake line as mentioned or the ABS HCU.
yes I put in new guide pins with lube, I did not put the new caliber bracket on that came with the new one, the old one looked fine,, seems most everyone feels it is the line, But if it was the line once I open the bleeder should the fulid just ease out or spray due to being traped, not able to return I guess is what I mean, I will go out now and pull the caliper again and see if I can push the pistons back in easy with the c-clamp. Thanks Men for your time.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
yes I put in new guide pins with lube, I did not put the new caliber bracket on that came with the new one, the old one looked fine,, seems most everyone feels it is the line, But if it was the line once I open the bleeder should the fulid just ease out or spray due to being traped, not able to return I guess is what I mean, I will go out now and pull the caliper again and see if I can push the pistons back in easy with the c-clamp. Thanks Men for your time.
Yes, opening the bleeder would effectively release any hydraulic pressure if it were there. Since you reused the original bracket, with the caliper removed, see if the brake pads can be easily removed by hand as well. Typically I see rust form in the pad guides which effectively causes them to bind - with that said you should have noticed that when you disassembled and the reassembled the brakes... If that is the case you can remove the bracket and clean the pad guides with a stiff wire brush and a file. The objective is to remove any rust and not to remove any metal so to speak. Once clean it is recommended to apply a light coating appropriate anti-corrosion compound or grease to discourage corrosion directly to the braket THEN install the new stainless steel rail clips that come with the brake pads. And yes, they can be incorrectly installed and cause the pads to bind. I have seen that done MANY times over the years.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, just to besure, I am going to go out now, pull the caliper and pads and put the new bracket on and see if that helps, but I feel that is ok due to the fact as soon as I remove the caliber the wheel spins free so I feel the pads are are not binding,

·
Super Moderator
25,406 Posts
There will always be a little pressure on the pads from the caliper pistons. They don't retract back all the way, so the pads will lightly touch the disk. There will always be slight drag on the wheel with the brakes released. Don't expect them to keep turning after you quit turning them. It's not like spinning a bicycle wheel. As long as you don't have pull to one side, you're probably OK.
But definitely do as ford_doctor advises on the pad to bracket contact areas.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can`t Thank You one & all for your time helping me with this mess, it is fine now thanks be to God, and all you guys, God Bless and Thanks again. A buckhunter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts