The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday my left rear caliper was leaking brake fluid badly. I caught it before the master cylinder sucked air.
It is about time for brakes and the rear caliper was dragging on the rotor just before the caliper failed. Previously I have used Motorcraft loaded calipers. I was looking at the following for an upgrade.

Does anyone have a comment on this? I am wondering if the cost is worth it.
Rotors, pads, calipers $720 - 30. I need to buy & replace the rear hoses to the calipers. I have front hoses. Need to replace them.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
I installed that kit on a friend’s Chevy. He likes it. I couldn’t bring myself to pay that. I just rebuild calipers when needed. I haven’t actually needed to do any brake work on my personal truck, but I do a couple of sets of brakes a week for friends and neighbors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Usually I buy loaded motorcraft calipers. Which brand would be an upgrade?

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
I’m not sure you could do better than Motorcraft unless you went with the PowerStop or Brembo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
I installed Powerstop (Z36 Truck and Tow K1781) all around on my 2008 F350 dually. I don't see a performance improvement over the stock Motorcraft. Front rotors and pads from Amazon ($242); red powder coat front calipers and brackets from Carid ($180); rear system from Rock Auto. Bedded the ceramic pads per Powerstop instructions. Changed out the brake fluid at the same time.
I returned the first set to Amazon because of obvious damage to the edges of the rotors. They promptly shipped a new set. Free both ways. Carid and Rock Auto both charge core fees for the calipers (including brackets) with Rock Auto charging the least. Returns to Carid are free; you can get a discounted shipping label from Rock Auto. Core charges were returned within 3 days.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I will stay with motor craft .

·
Registered
465 Posts
Over the years, I have tried various rotor and pad combinations. But I have never found anything that beat Motorcraft rotors and HD Motorcraft pads. Wife and I do a lot of summer towing in hot Texas heat and sometimes in the mountains at 8K plus feet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts