The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new 2018 F-350 Platinum Crew Cab Death Wobble

4 miles after driving away from the dealer in a brand new 2018 F-350 Platinum Crew Cab, I notice Death Wobble from the steering wheel? Many reasons why I didn't turn around.

It will do it intermittently between 40-60 mph when initiating a slight corner or if you deliberately run over turtle bumps or road reflectors you can recreate it.

I tried lowering tire pressure down to 50/60 instead of the 60/80. It's better, but still there.

This is a late build (5-18)

Anybody else have this?

Beautiful truck though.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have had it but at not in a brand new truck, you need to take it back for service NOW ,maybe make a quick video for the service writer to see, cause they aint gonna believe it!!!

·
Registered
621 Posts
You don't "notice" death wobble. If you didn't nearly defecate yourself, it wasn't full on death wobble.

You should still take it to the dealer ASAP though, especially if you are able to consistently replicate it.
Indeed. It would have left you no option but to turn back. It is very violent with the ability to cause...death.

Curious to know what you experienced tho!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Possibly a lane departure warning. My 2018 has that, it will cause the steering wheel to shake if I drive close to the lane markings without using the turn signal.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Possibly a lane departure warning. My 2018 has that, it will cause the steering wheel to shake if I drive close to the lane markings without using the turn signal.
Good thought Glenn. You can shut that off on a button above the radio (unless they have moved it).

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Death Wobble has been there for years.
Very well documentation out there.
I do agree, I would have turned around and taken back to dealer.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks for the response. Sorry for the late reply, working 14-15 hour days and exhausted keeping up with my sexual addiction as well.

You are correct. What I have noticed is the sensitivity of the lane departure function is unreal. Asphalt seams and asphalt sealant lines that run somewhat parallel or at an angle to the lane/line of travel will cause the steering wheel to shake violently.

I am sure Ford will have to come out with a reflash to detune the sensitivity. It's scary towing with a heavy trailer that causes the front end to have less weight on the tires due to the center of gravity changing.

I'd rather have a beep or alarm notify me of impending lane departure.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The lane departure sensitivity is adjustable by the end user.

·
Registered
379 Posts
You are correct. What I have noticed is the sensitivity of the lane departure function is unreal. Asphalt seams and asphalt sealant lines that run somewhat parallel or at an angle to the lane/line of travel will cause the steering wheel to shake violently.
I'm just now working through the owner's manual on my 2019 F-350, but it's pretty easy to turn the sensitivity down or shut the lane departure off completely...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Same thing when I picked mine up. Turned off the lane departure warning.
I've had rental vehicles that used an audible alarm. Annoying yes, but much better than the steering wheel vibrating.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had some violent shake going on with my 18 F350 for some time (just rolled 10,000 miles). It only happens when going over potholes, sewer covers and such while the truck is going around any corner at speeds above 25MPH. It will rip the wheel out of your hands for just a split second, have a couple oscillations and then back to normal. Until today, I've not bothered much with it since it rarely happens but decided to talk to the local Ford service guys and have an appt for next Thursday (Jan 24th) so they can look it over.
There is a TSB out there: 18-2268 that may apply. I'll report back what the dealer finds out.

I'm used to driving all kinds of ill handling trucks, and race cars, so I never really cared much about it since it isn't up to the "death wobble" level.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I had the death wobble in my 2011 truck. It's not a subtle shaking in the steering wheel. It's a violent shaking.

For me it was initiated at speeds above 40mph and usually if I hit a bump on a left hand sweeping turn. ie Freeway overpass with bridge expansion joint will set this off. It would continue to shake violently until I decreased the speed below 40 mph.

At 36,000 miles Ford replaced the Steering Dampner. Which corrected the problem for a long time. Around 90,000-95,000 miles it returned. I put in a new Bilstien Steering Dampner and it did not fix the problem but helped. New Tires helped a lot, But at 105,000 I replaced my front hubs and that finally fixed the problem.

My 2017 truck has the Lane Keep. Yes my steering wheel vibrates if I cross a lane without signaling. But it doesn't cause the truck to almost loose control.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would agree it is not at a death wobble level that I have experienced with some previous vehicles I have worked on. But it is a serious shaking that given certain road conditions and towing, I do not like nor feel is safe. I have since turned it off and left it off. It is sensitive enough that it picks up asphalt sealant markings which is what threw me off in the beginning.

I love the truck but Ford could have done lane departure notification much different. Bells, buzzers, heck even a vibrating steering wheel? I have seat vibrators so I know that's possible.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had some violent shake going on with my 18 F350 for some time (just rolled 10,000 miles). It only happens when going over potholes, sewer covers and such while the truck is going around any corner at speeds above 25MPH. It will rip the wheel out of your hands for just a split second, have a couple oscillations and then back to normal. Until today, I've not bothered much with it since it rarely happens but decided to talk to the local Ford service guys and have an appt for next Thursday (Jan 24th) so they can look it over.
There is a TSB out there: 18-2268 that may apply. I'll report back what the dealer finds out.

I'm used to driving all kinds of ill handling trucks, and race cars, so I never really cared much about it since it isn't up to the "death wobble" level.
Finally had a chance to get the truck in for this. They found the problem to be the stock steering stabilizer shock. Since Ford had a TSB out on it, it was probably bad from day one. Had them rotate the tires since they were working on it too. Drove it home tonight over the same manhole covers and it drove normal over them. No more steering wheel getting yanked or truck jumping sideways.

*I do not have any of that lane changing alert garbage*

·
Registered
139 Posts
This!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had the death wobble in my 2011 truck. It's not a subtle shaking in the steering wheel. It's a violent shaking.

For me it was initiated at speeds above 40mph and usually if I hit a bump on a left hand sweeping turn. ie Freeway overpass with bridge expansion joint will set this off. It would continue to shake violently until I decreased the speed below 40 mph.

At 36,000 miles Ford replaced the Steering Dampner. Which corrected the problem for a long time. Around 90,000-95,000 miles it returned. I put in a new Bilstien Steering Dampner and it did not fix the problem but helped. New Tires helped a lot, But at 105,000 I replaced my front hubs and that finally fixed the problem.

My 2017 truck has the Lane Keep. Yes my steering wheel vibrates if I cross a lane without signaling. But it doesn't cause the truck to almost loose control.
You just wrote my story with my 2011. .........it was horrific. They finally had to change the castor or camber, can't remember, that worked for about 6k miles and it began again. I had to get rid of it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts