The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 ford f 250 super duty diesel 6.0 I have no idea how but the other day wile driving I hear a loud grinding sound, get it home pull the wheel and find that the brake caliper bracket upper corner was rubbing on the rotor, tore it up,, I have no idea how they came together, I put on a new rotor and it did the same thing, anyone know how that can happen, I been going crazy trying to find the trouble but can`t I need help bad, only wheels I have and at 73 on S/S I can`t take it to a shop, Please let me know if you have any idea, Thank You.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
You have a P.M.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
If you go up to your profile (yours: the purple square with capital A) click on it, and click on conversations. I left you a private message.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
OK guys, just been home a little while from getting off work today. I was trying to help Abuckhunter out, and sent a PM, as I’m not as familiar with the trucks as much as a lot of you are.
I sent him a PM waiting for someone else to chime in. My initial thoughts were if it was the front, and no evidence of anything broken or any missing bolts, perhaps the unit bearing was going bad and allowing the rotor to “walk” and dig into the brake caliper bracket.
He has looked at replacement parts and the unit bearings and knows there are the four studs that bolt through the knuckle so I am sure it is the front that he is having problems with. I did see some older posts about different sizes of rotors causing a clearance issue by having the wrong part but I believe his problem started with the original part before changing out rotors.
From having tore my truck down, front and back, and back together I can’t really think of anything else that would allow the rotor to “walk” and grind into the caliper bracket ??

·
Super Moderator
25,406 Posts
The only thing I can think of is that the unit bearing is shot and allowing the hub to slop around, causing the rotor to contact the bracket. If it was an incorrect rotor, it would have been bad from the get-go, not come on gradually.
It'd be easy to check after jacking the wheel off the ground.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Wheel Bearing. Can't think of anything else that would cause this and I am surprised he did not hear it going bad as they always make noise when self destructing and it is common for it to cause the ABS light to come on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts