The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early 04 F350 6.0L Crewcab Longbed 4x4 5R110W 245,000miles

CODE P2703

This truck has never slipped a gear or gave me a transmission problem in its life, highway toy hauler. I personally service the transmission with ford filters every 50K.

Yesterday I took it out with a couple friends for a burn, needless to say there is about 1/4 mile for tire laying on my street. That night it did not seem to act up at all after the tire roasting but I only drove it another mile to home.

Woke up, put it in reverse and what do you know! it is a bucking bull! there is no easy! It just slams hard into reverse then nothing then slams again then nothing then slam again. In drive, first and second seem to be okay but the top of 3rd going into 5th it revs to the moon then engages. Then its all down hill from there. slipping, slipping, and more slipping then seems to get locked into what seems to be "4th" gear and will not let it go, no up , no down. meanwhile the overdrive light on the shifter is flashing at a solid 1 second on 1 second off. Transmission never overheated.

dropped the pan today to see what it looks like, yeah there is come clutch plate deposit floating around and some traces of fine metal (nothing to crazy) I have see a lot worse over the years in other trans.

Has anyone had this issue with the 5R110W and what was your outcome.
kind of need some help and fast I have a long haul I have to go on in 4 weeks!

throwing Code P2703 - Transmission Friction Element D Apply Time Range/Performance - what does that even mean?

no other codes present

Thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
12,051 Posts
Code P2703 - Transmission Friction Element D Apply Time Range/Performance - what does that even mean?
That means that when it tried to apply clutch D (direct clutch) it took longer than it should have. It usually means either a seal has failed in the clutch, or the clutch itself has failed.

The direct clutch is used for reverse and fifth gears. Your symptoms exactly match what the code is telling you - something is seriously damaged in the direct clutch. The only way to know exactly what happened, and to fix it, is to pull the trans out and rebuild it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That means that when it tried to apply clutch D (direct clutch) it took longer than it should have. It usually means either a seal has failed in the clutch, or the clutch itself has failed.

The direct clutch is used for reverse and fifth gears. Your symptoms exactly match what the code is telling you - something is seriously damaged in the direct clutch. The only way to know exactly what happened, and to fix it, is to pull the trans out and rebuild it.
So there is no chance that it is a malfunction in solenoid D? but has to be in the direct clutch system.
on average what is the going rate to get a transmission overhauled. I understand that prices vary, shop to shop, but im looking into just getting a standard rebuild nothing crazy.

in the 5R110W while overhauling. is there anything that I would need to upgrade due to common problems with that transmission?

·
Super Moderator
12,051 Posts
If it was a solenoid problem it would have set a code for the solenoid, not the clutch.

A rebuild can cost anywhere from $1000 to $6000+. It depends who does it and what they do to it. Somewhere in the middle of that is the average rate.

I'm not aware of any required updates or common problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts