The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna build a deck on the new house.

28' x 35'. gotta have a big deck.

The one at the old house suffered badly from rot at the joints - i.e. they built it, then stained it - but didn't back-paint or stain or treat any lumber joints. so moisture gets trapped and a-rotting she went.

So, I want to treat / paint / whatever, every mating surface. So I can get more than 10 years out of it.

Recommendations on what to use? Thinking I'd like to go clear, but if any of the clear stuff ain't no count then something I could paint over....

·
Registered
907 Posts
IF it were me, I would seal the ends and then caulk the joints as I built it. Then put flashing over all the non visible joints. You will have to make your own or adapt off the shelf material. For the deck floor boards I would use Ipe (E-pay). It is a wood similar to teak but denser and oilier. It was made for this type of application.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not sure if you have decided what type of wood to use yet but I'd take a look at Mahogany. Mahogany can get a little spendy but my parents who live on the wetside of Oregon built a deck almost 15 years ago with it and it still looks as good as it did when it was first built. They do a light sanding every other year with a new coat of stain.

Josh

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a source of lumber - scrap / broken utility poles. Pentachlorophenol treated. They typically last ~30-35 years, and will typically rot at the groundline, if left unsealed. I am wanting to apply a heavy coat of some kind of sealer to keep the offensive initial odor down.

I agree with treating the ends (and caulking) - just what with that's clear?

I've heard Thompson's water seal is crap.

·
Registered
350 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

I've heard Thompson's water seal is crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

The stuff from Jos. BEHR @ Home Depot is worse....Wife & I are putting the finishing touches on redoing Our deck for the forth time in three years because We used that stuff. We went with Thompsons this time. The BEHR stuff was "GUARANTEED for FIVE Years"... yeah....right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bleh.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts