The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else get annoyed by a post being bumped to the top? You know, a post that simply says TTP in the body or the statement that it is being bumped back to the top? I find it annoying to wait for a topic I'm interested in to load only to find nothing of value added, just someone wanted to bump it back to the top of the forum.
Moderators, what are the rules on this?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
AlH,

There are lots of reasons to bump something back to the top. Lets say you have a problem right now with your truck, you post and a day later find the post near the bottom of the page with no answers. Doesn't mean there isn't an answer, just that the right person hasn't read the post yet. Bumping it back up instead of reposting is a heck of alot easier.

In the Events and Rallies forum it happens all the time. A lot of us spend countless hours trying to organize events for our fellow strokers. In some cases the post is informational and not asking for a response, so periodically it needs to go back up to where folks will see it (the calendar is a great feature, but most on this site fail to use it).

JMHO

Robb /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with bumping your thread back to the top of the forum index, but I do see a problem if you don't immediately delete that post. The TTT or bump post adds nothing to the thread, so you should delete it. The thread will stay "bumped" to the top of the forums index after that post is deleted.

When I see a bump post with no reply yet, I automatically delete that post without telling anybody. And so far nobody has fussed at me about it. But I don't enjoy wasting my time deleting your bump posts, so do it yourself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
I really hate forum sites that don't have the bump up to the top feature. You post something and in a day or less no one can see your post anymore and you don't know who has replied to it unless you go and check it out. It's real nice to have the bump up feature, even if someone does abuse it, that doesn't outweight it's usefullness.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I personally hate when people keep bumping stuff. I think it's a waste of resources and time. A thread shouldn't come to the top unless there are "real" replies in my opinion. I've been to sites where people keep bumping stuff over and over .. it really gets frustrating trying to sort things out.

Jason

·
Registered
577 Posts
I hate to disagree with the boss but I hope Smokeys idea prevails. I know how important somethings are to a poster even though others may not think it important at all. I have never seen it used more than once or twice on a single post. It has not bothered me to open a extra post and I may give me the push I need to reply with my 2 cents worth.

And Smokey, I did not know or think of deleting the bumping post. Seems like a good idea.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I can see bumping up a thread if so many new threads are coming up that it scrolls off the page to quickly. In some of the forums people post new threads so frequently and post replies so frequently that another persons thread may get scant air time before it scrolls off the page. (not complaning, just stating what can happen)
On the other hand, I can see where it would be annoying for a post that generated little or no interest to get bumped up. This is one of those situations where common sense comes into play.
Another option is to reword your thread. Sometimes we don't make our questions clear the first try. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[ QUOTE ]
I personally hate when people keep bumping stuff. I think it's a waste of resources and time. A thread shouldn't come to the top unless there are "real" replies in my opinion. I've been to sites where people keep bumping stuff over and over .. it really gets frustrating trying to sort things out.

Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

THANK YOU! My feelings exactly. I am fortunate with a cable modem at home and things load fast, but sometimes I'm on the road loading a post I'm following at 19.2 over a cell modem only to see it was a bump. AAARGGGH!

Al

1 - 9 of 9 Posts