The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I just need someone to indentify for me which way the cruise control wires shown here line up. The harness side connecter burned up but the in-between connector looks fine. Instead of getting a whole new main body harness I am just going to solder the wires together. But I don't know which wires go to which. It's only 2 but I rather get it right the first time.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,237 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something. The connector has a groove on one side and a corresponding ridge on the other side so it will only go together one way. Put it together that way and cut the wires off one side of each connector and solder them together. Repeat for the other side. Can't go wrong that way.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Sorry for bad photos. The connector is burned to the point there is no ridge. It will connect in either way.
pull back the wire loom on both ends and see if the wires are color coded or a stripe on one of the wires

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did check the colors and they are different. I think 2 had stripes. Don't remember exactly but they did not match between the two connectors. I can get the colors tomorrow if that helps any. I was hoping someone could take a photo of their connector just so I can see which was is up or down.

·
Super Moderator
26,764 Posts
Tell us exactly which connector that is, and I can check the wiring diagrams for the color codes. Most circuits have the same color coded wire on each side of the connector, but there are a few that change at the connector.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Looks like the cruise control cutout switch from the master.
If it hasn't had the recall done, take it to ford.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
26,764 Posts
If it's the connector for the cruise control cutout switch that's on the master cylinder, then it doesn't matter which wire goes where. It's just a switch, and as long as the circuit is completed when the switch closes, there's no need to worry about polarity.
I don't know if Ford would replace the connector for free. I think that the recall fix was to add a pigtail between the existing connector with fuses in the wires. But if the connector goes on the master cylinder switch and it burnt up, they would probably fix it for you.
If it's an inline connector, you could use any 2-pole inline connector pigtail and solder the wires to the existing wires.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes it's the cruise control. I replaced the old master cylinder with a new Ford that came with new switch for cruise control. I assume it's the newer one that won't burn up. There's a photo of the old intermediate cable between the harness side and cylinder side. Why is this cable needed? To prevent forest fires I reckon.

If you say it doesn't matter then I am just going to solder whatever 2 wires together to complete the circuit.

Attachments

·
Registered
505 Posts
That intermediate cable is a fusible link. The switch has never been replaced/updated with a good one... the fusible link just stops the "failure of the internal membrane causing brake fluid to contact the always-energized wires" from causing a fire that will burn your truck down, and maybe the house if it's close enough, so yes, you do need it. Even a new switch from ford is just the same old switch with a newer birthday. FYI, I'm a fire investigator. I have seen WAY too many of these fires.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to finish off this thread. I went up to the local Ford dealership and asked the man at the parts counter if I could look through his pile of harnesses for a connector end. He said no problem and I went in the shop, found the right connector, cut if off and went and soldered it on the harness back home. Cruise control is working again. Thanks for all the input guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts