The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to me 2000 f350 7.3 with about 240000 miles. I’m getting an occasional burning oil smell. The truck seems to run just fine and I don’t see any oil leaking anywhere and none hits the ground. The only thing out of the ordinary is that the ebpv seems to fluctuate strangely. I havnt had much time to look it over yet but was hoping this would ring a bell with someone

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hi all, new to me 2000 f350 7.3 with about 240000 miles. I’m getting an occasional burning oil smell. The truck seems to run just fine and I don’t see any oil leaking anywhere and none hits the ground. The only thing out of the ordinary is that the ebpv seems to fluctuate strangely. I havnt had much time to look it over yet but was hoping this would ring a bell with someone

Check turbo shaft play it might be a time to rebuild if it is factory still. That could be your smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 250. I guess I’ve been lucky enough to not have to mess with a turbo yet. Would there be any outward signs of oil leaking near the turbo? I just brought this truck up from Texas to northern Illinois and it’s a lil too cold today. Hopefully get it in the heated garage this week

·
Registered
499 Posts
Thanks 250. I guess I’ve been lucky enough to not have to mess with a turbo yet. Would there be any outward signs of oil leaking near the turbo? I just brought this truck up from Texas to northern Illinois and it’s a lil too cold today. Hopefully get it in the heated garage this week

Have you had the truck long to tell if it is using a lot of oil between changes. These engines with use some cause of the HEUI Injection but if it is using a lot it could be a few things. Turbo leaking past the seal on the exhaust side going out that way. Warn injector o-rings. Warn piston rings. But my experience was with my 2000 was the turbo leaking out the down pipe. Now the shaft will have some play when you check it cause of no oil pressure from the engine not running. So check it both ways side to side will have some but you don’t want it to have a lot or make contact with the housing. Second is front to back play if you have a lot time to rebuild. You could do the 360 thrust bearing upgrade and a wicked wheel 2 on it or do a ball bearing turbo like a KC Turbo or a GTP-38R turbo with are both drop in units. Just depends on your budget I had my stock one rebuild by a shop to the 360 bearing and balanced it was 400.00 a drop in turbo with some other parts is 1,400.00.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just drove it 1100 miles and didn’t really loose any oil on the stick. Yesterday I looked sound some more and still can’t find any drips or leaks. It’s strange... it doesn’t do it all the time just once in a while. I can also smell it in the cab

·
Registered
499 Posts
The crank case vent is on the driver side valve cover maybe the prongs on that are bad letting oil vapor get by or the clamps or rubber elbow are warn letting oil vapor in the engine bay and you smell it in the cab.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I finally got a chance to get the truck in the garage. After checking the turbo which seemed nice and tight I started looking under the truck. There it was, oil slowly leaking from the oil cooler. It looks like it might be squirting onto the exhaust manifold, hence the burning smell.its funny because there wasn’t a drip to be found until I pulled it into the garage.I guess this Texas truck don’t like the cold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts