The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, last night I pulled my fishing boat to the lake, I’m guessing about 3000 lbs, and when I got there there was a strong smell of burning trans fluid. No leaks and fluid is full and clean looking. Also, It doesn’t smell bad when I pull the dipstick.. it seems to shift fine. Any thoughts? It’s a 2000 f350 automatic

·
Registered
182 Posts
It could be a leak from a trans cooler line. I would differently look there. It may be spitting on the exhaust somewhere maybe why you don't see a leak.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I took a good look this morning and couldn’t find any leaks anywhere. At second look the fluid level looks about a quart low and has a faint burnt smell but nothing like the smell that I had last night. I wish I had a trans temp gauge. There’s a good trans shop by my work I think I’m going to have them check it out

·
Premium Member
14,447 Posts
Do you have the oil to water cooler in the bottom of the radiator? If not, you should convert to a newer radiator and plumb that in. If you're relying on the little undersized oil to air cooler by itself, it may not be enough - especially if it's full of debris. A transmission temperature gauge is almost a requirement if you tow. With my upgraded cooler and stock oil to water cooler, I stay below 180° towing 10K plus in our triple-digit temps with no problem.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear ya RT. This is a fairly new to me truck. My last truck was also a 7.3 which I ran for 450,000 and I never had an issue like this but I don’t tow a lot. I think I’ll have it checked out and hopefully it’s not on it’s last leg. Havnt done one but I’ve read the 6.0 cooler is the way to go

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
The ScanGuage-2 has TFT as just one of its many parameters.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Couple of years ago I experienced the same thing along with some high tranny temps (I do have a gauge). Cooler was almost plugged and I did not have the cooler built into the radiator even though with my truck's build date it should have had it.

I changed the radiator to one with a heat exchanger AND installed the 6.0 tranny cooler. Now my temps hardly ever get over 160-170 even in our 100 degree summers.

Definitely get a temp gauge!

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
On a tranny care note. If you have 4x4 use 4x4 low (unlock hubs if possible) when backing a heavy trailer or boat. It is a lot easier on the tranny and you go a lot slower so you look like a pro.
DENNY

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I ordered the 6.0 cooler,it’s in its way. My buddy at the trans shop gave it a clean bill of health. While messing around with some other stuff I noticed the inside of the rear tire was all wet..brake fluid. Embarrassing enough I think I mistook the smell of burning brake fluid for trans oil lol.. either way it got me moving on the 6.0 cooler faster than planned

1 - 10 of 10 Posts