The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My steering wheel wobbles like a bobble head, & now my auto shifter has bound up.

An ASE geahead neighbor (a good neighbor!) told me it's less hassle to simply replace the column, than to replace the small parts. What say ye Forum members?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Yep. The column didn't change much from '92-04, and the same column was used in virtually all Ford/L/M products during that time. The plastic shrouds changed slightly by application, and there were many optional components that appeared & disappeared (key release for stick-shifts, column shifter, brake-shift solenoid for some automatics, cable shifter interlock for floor-shift automatics, tilt lever, various shapes of MFS & steering wheel, radio & HVAC buttons...), but the column underneath it all was essentially the same, and you can strip a loaded column down to its base & then transfer the parts you need onto it.

Most of what you need to know can be found in the captions of this photo album (click it on a computer with a monitor - not a phone):

I like to use the ~'99-02 Navigator column & wheel because it's really easy to add an aftermarket adapter to make the radio buttons control an aftermarket radio.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the reply!

Depending on which column I might buy, it almost sounds like less work to change my bushings & bearings. ?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
You'll rethink that if you try to disassemble the tilt joint of the column, which is where the wobbling wheel slop comes from. ;) But good luck, either way; and post pics of what you do.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I chose to fix mine several years ago. Not a job terribly hard, but not easy either. Repairing the tilt column probably a 6 on a scale of 1 to 10. I'm happy I did mine. I just don't feel comfortable using a column out of a 1982 or whatever out of the junk yard rather than just repairing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That what I was leaning toward, wondering how long before a used assembly might wear out too.

Plus, I'm hard-headed that way & get a sick satisfaction from a lifetime of the misery of shadetree wrenching. ;)- I also have a hang-up abt replacing something that might be repairable.

Another local friend told me this weekend that he had swung the column down & changed the shaft w/o complete removal, so I reckon I'm gonna try it. :)

Thx, all, for the input. I'll report back on how it goes.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Yes, changing the shifter bushings is very easy - you don't really even have to lower the column, if your fingers are dexterous. But that won't fix the sloppy steering wheel. For that, the column has to be removed & disassembled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts