The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a one owner early 99, bad thing is it is on a dealers lot. Just 102K miles. I have owned three 7.3 PS before and I am so tempted. Don't think I can get them down any more. And it is over even KBB. Would the lower mileage be worth a few thousand more dollars then ones with twice the mileage?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
To me it would. Age takes it's toll but not usually as much as mileage does. If the truck is in great shape and low miles, plus a 7.3L, it's definitely going to draw a premium dollar.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
It depend what's your looking for, when I bought my truck I didn't mind paying a bit more for lower milage. One owner truck is good but selling by dealer... You just don't know the history of it. I would probably consider it but soon as i get possession, I would change ALL fluid and filter and get the code pull to see if anything showed up

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
I agree with the guys above.
That is very low miles and its getting hard to find one-owner trucks of that vintage.

If the original owner took it to a repair shop for oil changes or anything then sometimes those shops put their own sticker under the hood. Also check glove box and door pockets for any old receipt at all. If you can find anything then call the shop and they might have a history on it.

Did you do a carfax?

·
Registered
382 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I have seen the carfax. Spend all it's life in southern California. It is an extended cab short bed not to many of those, kind of like the thought of being shorter if my lady needs to ever drive it. It has three gauges added, small fuel tank in the bed I may need to remove though. And a tow hitch with push guard in the front. Lariat model not sure if that is really anything more then leather seats. And a limited slip rear end. My last powerstroke was an early 99 also, except crew cab and long bed which I thought was a steal 9 years ago for 18K with 90K miles though the depression had to sell it or the house would been foreclosed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have an early 99 7.3 I bought off CL three years ago. Bought it for 8k with 138,000 on the odometer. I don't regret it. It's been a great truck.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
What kind of price ? Is this on a Ford dealers lot ? If they won't move on the price ask for something else, maintenance related, ext warranty maybe.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I now when it was looking for mine 8mo. ago. The ones on the lots with low 2000,000 milage were going for 14k. But I got mine for 10k off the first owner. I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Wow this is really strange I was working on getting the price down a little more and now the dealership will not talk to me.
They bought the truck at an auction, listed it for 21K back in August 2015. Still on the floor for 15,700. Roseburg Honda Oregon

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
I just did a search for 7.3 4x4's in the Pacific NW and they all have around 200K miles and they are asking big money for them even from a private party.

Maybe that dealer price is not too far out of line. As was mentioned earlier can you get them to throw in new tires or something?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yea maybe the salesman was taking the day off. The General called just after I posted and did take the price down lower. I plan on getting up to Roseburg next weekend.:grin2:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can pick up the 2000 for 1300 dollars less. It does have 36K more miles. More for less. Kinda like the lower price guess I am cheap!

·
Super Moderator
26,499 Posts
Both nice looking trucks. I'm not wild about the gauge install personally on the 99, but that's just personal preference. If it has gauges, that indicates it may be chipped, which may indicate it's been abused a bit, or just used by an enthusiast.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I asked the salesman to take a picture of the down pipe on the 2000 it is stock. I did notice a build up of grease/diesel dirt sludge on the valve cover. Not to bad 1/8 inch give or take a little. Maybe this is a good thing rather then it it was steam cleaned sparkling before put up for sale.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It has been brutal trying to find a nice 7.3 2nd gen powerstroke. The E99 was sold out from under me, dealer would not hold without $500 non refundable deposit and I was four hours away. Same deal on the 2000 dealer would not hold without $500 non refundable deposit. So we left 4:30 am to arrive right at 10 am. Except the 2000 looks nice in pictures, they seemed to have left out the pictures of the damage to the truck and it smelled like wet dog in the cab. But my search may of ended now, I just spoke to a private party about a 2000 F250 SC LB 4x4 AT with 145K owned for 10 years and used for camping and fishing trips here in the NW. Keeping my fingers crossed, because he works nights till March 3 when we can meet.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
It has been brutal trying to find a nice 7.3 2nd gen powerstroke. The E99 was sold out from under me, dealer would not hold without $500 non refundable deposit and I was four hours away. Same deal on the 2000 dealer would not hold without $500 non refundable deposit. So we left 4:30 am to arrive right at 10 am. Except the 2000 looks nice in pictures, they seemed to have left out the pictures of the damage to the truck and it smelled like wet dog in the cab. But my search may of ended now, I just spoke to a private party about a 2000 F250 SC LB 4x4 AT with 145K owned for 10 years and used for camping and fishing trips here in the NW. Keeping my fingers crossed, because he works nights till March 3 when we can meet.
Personally, I have never bought a vehicle from a used car dealer and I doubt I ever would. That truck pictured looks good and the details also.

Good luck.

Don't let it get sold out from under you.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts