The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv seen lots of low milage 6.0 lately decently priced. Thinking about gettING one. What are some things to check and test while looking for the right one. I plan on bulletproofing it. I'd like one that has always been stock. Any tips on the 6.0s and what to look for while buying would be awesome

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just be careful

A lot of the 6.0's have low mileage because guys have problems with them and or don't want to use them until they do. In all honesty if you get a real low mileage 6.0 and dump some money into it, doing some EGR delete options and other emissions control removals you will have a strong and reliable truck. It all depends how far you want to go with it and what you are willing to deal with.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Getting an Oasis report from the Ford dealership will give you info on any repairs that were done through a dealership. Any maintenance reports or receipts from owner and just talking to the owner. You want to know if service was done using quality oil and filters, things like that. If you know anyone that has experience, bring them with you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree with what Ford stated above, but if I was to buy another 6.0. ( I don't plan to as my current 6.0 is running great), I would take a monitor like a scan gauge or Edge Insight run the truck until it is fully warmed up and check for codes. this will also let you see things like steam, blue smoke, or other odd noises etc. I got lucky on my truck as I didn't have any tools or knowledge to use in making my decision

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I plan on doing the egr delete for sure, I do no have any emissions where I live. I have a edge evo cts I could plug in, was gunna sell but I think I'll keep it now.

Some of them are fleet trucks, is their anything different about them?

For example I found an ugly lime green 6.0 w/126k on it 6 speed manual. But it's fleet with power windows and locks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Don't buy from a dealer. You want to buy directly from the owner. That way you can get records and receipts. Try and stick with the 05 to 07 trucks. There a better platform and have a lot less issues. Definitely take a scanner or monitor of some sort. You'll want to check engine oil temp and engine coolant temp while driving. That way you'll know the condition of the oil cooler. The oil temp should never be more than 15 degrees hotter than the coolant temp. If it is that means the oil cooler is starting to clog. Check condition and color of all accessible fluids and try to take it to someone who knows these trucks. Even if the engine is sold the front end could be worn out. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts