The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a good used 7.3L and was wondering if there are any model years that are better / worse than others?

Same question with regards to the 6spd manual tranny?

Thanks for the help.

· Registered
6,005 Posts
the 2001 had a mech diode in the trans that gave folks a bit of problems but if you are looking for a hand shaker no need to worry. Froom 2000 back they had forged rods , this is not a big deal unless you plan on building 400+ HP. Make sure you pull the intake and look at the fan on the turbo, if you see it bent or nicked up it means it has inhaled dirt, dirt = death to a diesel, if you see a drop in K&N filter run away as they let dirt in, if it had a chip or used a programer with no pyrometer, run away, other than that basic common sense and reg items to check. Good luck, you are doing the right thing buying a 7.3 but good clean ones are getting hard to find, at least around here.

· Registered
289 Posts
Wish I had known about pulling the tube off the turbo before I bought my truck. After I bought it I disscovered the wheel has a few nicks and one vane has a rather large peice missing, plus it looks like it inhailed a wheel barrol of dirt. A more positive note the thing runs great, but for how long?

Dan

· Registered
3,401 Posts
These trucks are a lot more robust than a lot of people give them credit for. May have to change the turbo wheel. Might run a compression test for piece of mind.

Mine is the same way. I will replace the wheel and pretend everything is good. Ostrich method.

· Registered
289 Posts
I'm gonna dump the Garret for a TN, just waiting for the plasic to have a smaller balance. Doing it all though, up pipes, out let housing, new pedastal. I can't complain about how the truck runs, she moves like a bat out of hell I tel people for what I've done so far to it

Dan

· Registered
857 Posts
Find a well taken care of 2000 Powerstroke and you should be in pretty good shape.

The F250 is at 242K miles and under full throttle at 22 psi I'm starting to hear a noise under the hood. Thinking it's the turbo pedistal but not sure never touched anything under the hood. Had a wire short near the valve cover at 185K and at 220K the PCM failed. Did a GPR and glow plugs but only found two bad glow plugs at 220K (they were original).

The X is at 174K miles and it's had two cps's at 114K and 124K, and glow plugs at 140K miles but never tested any so don't know if any were bad.

In 550K miles combined between the three one auto tranny failed in the F250 at 83K miles due to bad chip and perhaps a weak tranny.

· Registered
3,401 Posts
Yep. Even mine will jump out and run. Never hooked up to something that did not move.

· Registered
289 Posts
Tell me about it, I pull the two horse with him in it 4800 lbs and set the cruise at 70 or so, we have a few hills to climb up in Mich. going too Waterloo and it never slows down one bit. Passed a guy with a dodge (hemmi) puling a two horse up one of the hills , he just gave me a nasty look. Proble wishes he did'nt buy the Dodge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.