The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I am a new member to this site. But I read up on it all the time. I am looking at a 2006 6.0 F250 Lariat with 151,000 miles on it. He says he changes the oil and filters every 5,000 miles with Purple Royal I think. I was wondering If that was ok for the engine. I was told they are pretty picky about what you out in them. Anything I should ask him? The Engine has an EGR delete and a system Coolant programmer. The truck looms really clean. No dents. I just need some pointers what to look for. Im going to be needing this truck for a while so I want to enjoy it and not tear my hear out everytime something happens. Thanks

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Welcome to the Diesel Stop

Any diesel rated oil will do, however I will let a 6.0 owner tell you the difference in Dino vs synthetic oil.

What to look for? The list can be exhaustive, as the 6.0 can be a gem or a chunk of coal. With 151000 on the odometer means unless it has been very well cared for and not had any performance mods, its about due for some possible major issues. If it ever had a chip or tuner, your probably going to be replacing head gaskets and it ain't cheap by any means.

What are you going to be using the truck for? If your just driving around, I wouldn't buy it. If your towing on a regular basis, with some $$ up front you can have a reliable ride.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Honestly I would look for a studded truck rather than a "clean" truck, as long as it isn't rusty.

Unless you can do studs yourself you can have door dings removed, fresh paint done, carpet replaced and seats reupholstered for less than it will cost you to have the engine studded.

I know it's kind of an unorthodoxed way of looking at things, but with the 6.0 finding that clean lower mileage truck just means all the problems are in your future. Find one with 250-300k miles and chances are you'll find it already with a coolant filter, head studs, oil cooler done, possibly HPOP and IPR valve already done, and sometimes the trans has already been rebuilt.

Find one with torn seats and scratched/dinged paint and you're going to get a screaming deal on it too. Pick that truck up for $7k, take it to the paint and upholstry shops for $2.5k, then to the suspension/brakes for $1k and you'll have a truck that looks, feels, and runs like new for just a shade over $10k.

Or spend $17k on a clean truck with 120k miles that has never had a problem and you'll be the one doing all the engine and trans work.

Anyway, just food for thought.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I agree with everything that has been said. Make sure he has receipts for repairs. Have it looked at by someone who knows these engines. Even if you have to pay a shop to check it out. Lastly, don't buy the first truck you find. Look around

·
Registered
8 Posts
Unless you know exactly what to look for, especially on the 6 liter i'd stay away. I didn't know a whole lot until my head gaskets went just a few weeks after i bought my 06.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ive had 2- 7.3s when I bought a 6.0 Excursion. I knew exactly what I was getting myself into. I got it cheap enough that i could immediately start to save for parts. I found a very good mechanic, Anthony at Dfuser diesel in Georgetown- Texas, who did a great cab-off repair for a decent price. This is the best vehicle Ive ever owned. It is quiet and runs great. I suggest that you look through out the U.S., fly there, as I did, and pick it up cheaper and drive it home. You can get it bulletproofed yourself and love it. Ive driven to California and back twice and it ran flawlessly at 80 mph.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would like to know where you think that you can get a truck painted for less than $6,000 and then get upholstery work done also. I will be the other guy.
Body work gets very expensive here in the Midwest with all our salt they use in the winter.
I would rather buy one that I know has not had anything done to it and do it myself so I can put the products that I want on it and do the work myself so I know what i have. I can fix all the mechanical stuff as its just the cost of the parts. Body work and paint I have to hire it done as I don't have a way of painting without it looked like it was done with a buzz can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with what these guys said. 300 miles after I bought my 2005 F350 I blew the head gaskets. I studded it out, Turbo cleaned, new oil cooler, EGR cooler, and IPR valve done.

When i bought it at 87k miles the OASIS report was spotless. That meant that no problems have happened on it. But the dealer fixed the problems only out of pocket cost is the ARP studs (500ish).

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I depends on your strengths. If you can do mechanical work you can save yourself a ton of money. If you can't you're going to spend at least $5,000 to have the engine bulletproofed, but the point about the cost of body work and paint (good body work and paint, we're not talking about a MACO respray) also gets expensive. Personally I hate doing bodywork, I'd rather work on the engine. I also have a lift and did my own cab off HG job. You've got to play to your strengths.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts