The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have been thinking about getting a new truck and was wanting some input. I have been hearing about the tuning companies and such being raided and the epa throwing a fit. Im in south texas and found a truck that has already been fully deleted, just kinda worried about what the epa is going to be doing next and what kind of stuff I should watch out for.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Does the truck come with the tuner? They should include the tuner as part of the truck. If not, walk away.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
What he said about the tuner. If it doesn't include it, don't buy it.

The question isn't so much the truck, what's done is done, but emissions testing is the real question. Find out if your local requires diesel emissions tests, or if there is anything lined up in the future for it to happen. This is the only thing that will get you into trouble with a fully deleted diesel. My truck is fully deleted, but since my state and local only requires a safety inspection, they won't bother testing it or even care that the DPF is missing. If I were to move across the road however, then I do need to be concerned since they require testing for emissions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay thanks, I don’t think emissions checks will be brought into texas for awhile or at least hopefully not

·
Registered
163 Posts
My problem with modified trucks you never know what was done or why. Most of the trucks on the road today never have a problem with emission systems on these trucks. I have 64,000 miles on mine without a single problem with emissions at all. Some guys say that it makes the truck get better fuel millage but I don't believe you can get more power without adding fuel. Also if you tow with the truck it will blow soot all over what you are towing. There are plenty of trucks out there that aren't modified and you can personalize it how you like and you will know exactly what you have when you are done.

·
Premium Member
4,074 Posts
Some guys say that it makes the truck get better fuel millage but I don't believe you can get more power without adding fuel.
So you need to go study up on the material on how combustion works, then understand how timing in a motor works.. Adding air alone could gain more "power/heat".....ever blow on hot coals?? See how they seem to "brighten in glow"......all you did was add air.

Also if you tow with the truck it will blow soot all over what you are towing.
Not 100% true....yes there could be more "soot" when towing VERY heavy or other conditions, but it's not going to blow soot ALL the time. ^^^^See the above

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Only time I saw anything come out the pipe was when I really got on it from low speed when towing this past weekend. There is very little soot at all on the rear quarter, unlike what my 99 had all over it. It also got right around 13 MPG while towing, 19 when empty, so I would say it is doing pretty good deleted, also no DEF needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kinda off-topic, but wanted to give you an example of your point about the emissions police... I bought my '11 new in 2010 and did my own delete and use an SCT GTX. The truck has 66K miles and threw a DTC this weekend and when I went to read the code the SCT gave an error message - cannot read DTCs. When I contacted SCT via chat and outlined my mods - boom, they gave me the "we are a compliant company and cannot assist you" and abruptly ended the chat session. Long story, but due to the Consent Decree you will get zero support from SCT depending on your mods. I deleted my system due to a plugged EGR cooler and an assortment of other EGR/DPF issues not for performance gains. My soot output and mpg is similar to what ACD2 outlined in his post.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
See thats the kind of stuff that has me a little worried with the tuning companies that can’t help you out anymore.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The EPA has been watching these companies and just like smog shops that used to pass cars without putting them on the machine lost there business. It's the same for tuning shops. You can tune the truck for a little more power without removing the smog stuff than thats all you will get.It's been this way for cars for a while and now it's getting around to trucks. I have a 07 GT500 with a pulley and CAI tune but all the sensors are still functioning as they should. I am well over 600 HP now. So you don't have to delete to get more power. Sure there are those who remove the EGR stuff so they dont have to fix it and I am not sure why this is happening because my 15 has no problem at all. I have 64,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
To restore to factory is a big PITA too unless you have the parts that were removed. If someone else did it, then not knowing what was removed is an even bigger issue. Pretty sure if I hd to return mine to stock, the DEF system would have to be replaced, who knows what the heck is in that tank or for how long.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That is tough one, many variables...but I dont think I would delete any of the newer trucks at least Ford has finally figured it out the emissions BS. My Duramax was pure emissions issues and problems from day 1, also were they place the UREA tank is just a bad idea for off road. Anyhow it was bought back from Chevy. I have not had any emissions issues yet...Fingers crossed. With my tuner I can maintain / engage manual Regens or keep it auto as is which is handy. But I also use the truck to tow which helps keep DPF soot cleaned out. Everybody has the preferences and this has always been a big debate/topic... I see the benefits of it though. My SCT is emissions friendly and dealer friendly too. I keep it on the low setting and even that is too much to be honest. But she get better mpgs with that tune so why not! :) Good luck with your purchase and hope it works out for you whatever you decide to do. I think in Texas you will be fine though if you delete. Just my opinions.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Okay thanks, I don’t think emissions checks will be brought into texas for awhile or at least hopefully not
Harris County (Houston) used to have emissions checks. I don’t live there so I’m not 100% sure if they still do, but I can’t imagine they would stop doing it.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The one downside to deleting the system is the stink. My truck is awful with the stink. Since no one will tune for delete now, I am pretty much stuck with what it has in it too. Cold start up leaves a cloud, and if I start in the garage, it will leave the aroma all day. So that is something else to think about.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts