The Diesel Stop banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
I get all that BUT that has nothing to do with emissions. Emissions are federally mandated. A dealer isn't supposed to sell any vehicle without propre emissions operating properly no matter what state you live in. You may not have a smog testing in your state but it is against federal law to remove emission equipment from a vehicle. This is also why companies no longer do delete tunes and you cant buy parts to do deletes. The EPA has cracked down on companies that do this kind of tuning and have put a couple out of business.
This is America and hey you can get anything you want if you look hard enough but if a dealer follows the law he is not allowed to sell any vehicle without emissions intact and working. That violates federal law if they do. If a dealer sells a vehicle with out this stuff then it could bite them in the ass.
Also from what I read in your post the dealer is supposed to disclose this information to you in writing and there is no way a dealer will disclose this to a unsuspecting buyer. But hey buy what you want to me I wouldnt touch a truck deleted from anyone

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Apply what you want to "As Is" as it applies to you and your situation.

I know what my specific state law requires/states, there's NOTHING stopping anyone from selling anything. You just cannot operate a registered vehicle without the proper equipment.

Here's part of it:

§ 46.2-1529.1. Sales of used motor vehicles by dealers; disclosures; penalty.
A. If, in any retail sale by a dealer of a used motor vehicle of under 6,000 pounds gross vehicle weight for use on the public highways, and normally used for personal, family or household use, the dealer offers an express warranty, the dealer shall provide the buyer a written disclosure of this warranty. The written disclosure shall be the Buyer's Guide required by federal law, shall be completely filled out and, in addition, signed and dated by the buyer and incorporated as part of the buyer's order.

B. A dealer may sell a used motor vehicle at retail "AS IS" and exclude all warranties only if the dealer provides the buyer, prior to sale, a separate written disclosure as to the effect of an "AS IS" sale. The written disclosure shall be conspicuous and contained on the front of the buyer's order and printed in not less than bold, 10-point type and signed by the buyer: "I understand that this vehicle is being sold "AS IS' with all faults and is not covered by any dealer warranty. I understand that the dealer is not required to make any repairs after I buy this vehicle. I will have to pay for any repairs this vehicle will need." A fully completed Buyer's Guide, as required by federal law, shall be signed and dated by the buyer and incorporated as part of the buyer's order.

So there's no emissions.....I disclose it, you sign. Done. BTW this clearly applies to Auto Dealers....not private owners.

That's the sticky wicket. If not disclosed, then can become a legal issue. When I bought mine, it was not disclosed that the truck was not street legal. Technically a dealer must disclose if the vehicle being purchased is street legal or not. Furthermore, if the dealer is a registrant of the state, meaning they directly title and register vehicles and carry license plates in house and not just the temporary, they should not be able to legally register a non street legal vehicle. What a vast rabbit hole it can become.

By federal law, if the vehicle does not meet emissions standards, it is not street legal.

But for the most part, we who were snookered buying a non street legal truck without knowing it have two choices. We can reinstall all the emissions crap to the tune of $8K or more, or drive it and hope we don't get sniffed. Thankfully in IL the State inspections are not looking for emissions equipment, just safety compliance. If and when they do, well, either sell the truck, fix it, or move to some other state that doesn't check.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.