The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all, I'm new here so if i do something wrong in these posts let me know.
So I'm looking at getting my dream truck. 96 250 PSD 4x4 CC short bed SRW. The truck has a pretty straight body on it with a noticeable dent on the drivers side rear door. 253k miles. Found the seller and he claims to have had no real problems since owning the truck for 6 months. Says it needs to be plugged in on cold nights. So new glow plugs? Also says the overdrive doesn't kick in until its warmed up according to the owner. And a new camshaft sensor was just put in. Both fuel tanks work. What worries me is that he claims that the turbo looks new. He doesn't know much about it. Otherwise he says it's solid mechanically. Going to look at it tomorrow. He's only asking 4500 and I haven't seen a better deal. Just this turbo business worries me. Just looking for some advice guys, THANKS IN ADVANCE :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I'd be more worried about the tranny. Turbo's don't have a comma in their price tag. The price is about right, maybe even a bit low unless the guy knows something about the tranny he's not telling. I'd take it to a good shop and have the codes read. Might be something in there about the shifting issue.
AaronSEIA

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you can drive a stick, I'd hold out until finding one without an auto.

253K is a fair amount miles so I doubt the tranny is original; depending on who did the rebuild or when it was last rebuilt, it maybe ready for another rebuild.

·
Registered
607 Posts
If I read what you have above correctly, you say the current owner has only had it for 6 months. Red Flag!! Unless there was some dire circumstance causing the sale, I'd say the current owner is passing on a problem.

The transmission not shift into overdrive while cold is not a bad thing. My trans doesn't go into overdrive when the engine is cold either. Example: Take off from work, drive 1.5 miles with one stop light, and I merge to the freeway. There is no way I'll get into overdrive within another 2 miles or so and then, it'll shift into OD normally. Whether or not it is healthy, I don't know. The concern for the trans is if the truck has a noticable shake when you apply throttle, or a shake between shifts, or a shudder when at 40~45mph and not in OD (OD off). It is my understanding that is one sign the trans is beginning to slip.

253k miles is high, but not so much more than my truck or others on this board. There are things to expect which will need attention. You already know the glow plug or glow plug relay is a problem. The dent to me requires some finding out what happen and is this truck being sold with a branded title you are unaware of. Injectors will likely need new o-rings by this point if they haven't been done, along with other general maintenance things. It is likely the front Dana 50 is shot. Ball joints, u-joints, tie rods, and brakes are all likely needing replacement with the price being asked. Are you ready for that expence? Are you willing to dive in and accept the cost of repairs to bring it up to your own personal standard? If you are comfortable with the truck as whole, I'd consider it. I like the crewcab, shortbox F250's myself, but would prefer the Dana 60 under the front also. Check the suspension bushings and driveline u-joints while your under the truck checking it out, they are probably shot too.

There are all kinds of tips to buy a used vehicle. One tip I've heeded for a long time is to take an uninterested person with you who is familiar with the item you are going to buy. Sometime difficult, but someone you know has experience and is willing I'm sure. If all else, have the seller meet you at a shop and have a used vehicle inspection done. $100 for an uninterested party is good money well spent for insight to what you may be buying.

Best of luck and let us all now what you do.
Bret

·
Registered
126 Posts
At $4,500 or less, the transmission would have to be shot before I got scared.

My current truck was owned for one month by the seller. He thought he wanted a big diesel 4x4 and then came to realize that it made no practical sense.

I'd say make your best deal and do it.

Of course, pictures posted here would be nice.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Wonder what the current owner paid for it 6 months ago.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
$4500 and I would be sold, even with the O/D issue.

take it for a test drive, O/D should kick in within 5 miles of driving (below freezing temps).

my 97 (original trans) doesn't shift into O/D until the h20 temp is above 120F...it's nice to have real gauges....

·
Registered
187 Posts
We have a '95 PSD auto and it always shifts into OD no matter what the temp. We had problems with the tranny blowing fluid out the front seal when hot and towing (fixed it with an oversized tranny cooler) and the torque converter crapped out at 170K miles. If your tranny does go south, you're looking at a $2,500 to $3000 repair. For what its worth . . .

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Is it the OD not kicking in, or the torque converter not locking up?

Good price, all things being equal. As said, it depends on whether you want an automatic truck.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If its a rust free and in good shape other than the dent, I would be game if it run good and drove good. I can't touch an obs crew cab sb for less than 9500 in average shape and similar miles. There getting fewer and fewer. All the mechanicals can be repaired MUCH cheaper than the newer ones.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
My truck did the same thing, wouldn't go into lockup until it warmed up a bit, usually 1 to 2 miles. I drove it like that for about 45K miles, no problem. It finally did let go when I overheated it towing around 13K pounds on a hot summer day. The front seal blew and I smoked the clutches. I'm lucky, I have friends at the dealer and I got mine rebuilt and had a billet convertor installed along with a large cooler. I only paid $1400.00, but like I say, I got friends. The transmission now shifts into lockup cold or hot, but I wouldn't be concerned. Buy it, that's a decent price. I've been offered $10K for mine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts