The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 6.7, this has been getting my attention for a little while now, plan on taking it in to have em check it, just curious if I'm alone on this noise. When driving as the truck is generally warming up as you go, when accelerating there is a (not so subtle) whine that I get from under the hood. Can't determine if its engine or trans, but think its engine. Does this until fully warmed up, then I don't notice it any more. Doesn't seem to affect anything other than my nerves...lol. Anyone have anything similar?

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
Are you sure it's not the power steering pump? That's pretty consistent with the noise it would make. Might check the fluid level and make sure it isn't foaming.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, I'll have a look at it... I'll post results... thanks

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I am a 99 guy and for us the whine was the pump. You notice it when turning mostly. A simple flush with synthetic ATF solved the problem. The smart guys use MOBIL 1, the cool kids use AMSOIL. Most any synthetic did the job!! Not sure about the new trucks.
DENNY

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, it's definitely not anything with power steering. Today I rolled down the drivers window so i could really hear, and i could make it do it by how much i stepped on the throttle. It's something to do with the intake system. Let me say, for a lack of better description, it's a sort of reed effect. Same kind of noise you used to make as a kid blowing on a trapped piece of grass between your thumbs. If i accelerate too much, it stops doing it, if not enough, it doesn't do it... find that one spot though and she starts singing (loud / unnatural).

·
Premium Member
4,127 Posts
My 2015 will make a similar sound that seems to resonate from the upper fuel filter. Only time it's happening is when temps drop, the motor is cold, and when on the pedal accelerating. After the motor is up to temp, it's usually gone.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
So, it's definitely not anything with power steering. Today I rolled down the drivers window so i could really hear, and i could make it do it by how much i stepped on the throttle. It's something to do with the intake system. Let me say, for a lack of better description, it's a sort of reed effect. Same kind of noise you used to make as a kid blowing on a trapped piece of grass between your thumbs. If i accelerate too much, it stops doing it, if not enough, it doesn't do it... find that one spot though and she starts singing (loud / unnatural).
This description makes me think exhaust leak as many assembled parts use a thin metal gasket and if there is a leak due to a loose or broken bolt for example the result is often the reed type noise you are describing. You also mentioned in your original post that the noise seems to lessen or go away once the engine is fully warmed up which is also a typical characteristic of an exhaust leak. Suspect areas include the exhaust manifolds, EGR inlet and outlet pipe connections and the EGR pipes themselves where the expansion/flex joints can sometime crack. All other connections are simple flanges held together with v-clamps. One other possibility is the turbocharger itself as when the center bearing loosens or fails you could be hearing the turbine and or compressor wheel rubbing on the housing as it rotates. An intake leak would really only make noise when the engine is making boost but should also be inspected. In my experience, intake and boost pressure related noises are not affected by engine temperature.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heavy Assult / mine does it every day regardless of outside ambient temps. Interesting stuff from Ford Doc, gives me plenty to think about. I recently got a Ford Recall on the truck, something to do with seatbelts catching on fire in a crash, so I need to schedule it in for that anyhow, so I'll have the noise invesigated by the dealer (I'm certain it going to be "normal" lol). Im a bit intimidated when I open the hood of this truck, I wouldn't know where to start... too many gizmos... (and I'm actually real handy under the hood)... thanks for the input.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got a 2019 and mine does a loud whine on cold start up. I was thinking it was do to with the DEF or something but now you have me thinking. I guess I could check out those V-band clamps or reach around with me hand during cold start to see if I can feel a leak at a flange.

Keep us posted if you bring it in and they figure something out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You may have your answers but one other thing that is an easy(ish) check and fix is the fuel filter, I had a noise start in my '06. In a couple days for me it started choking down the power. As it turned out the biodiesel that I had been running was partially made from chicken fat and that had plugged the fuel filters. It was pretty interesting the sound that could be heard over the engine in the cab considering the normal sound of that 6.0 with a 5" turbo back exhaust.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I hear ya, I miss that ol 6.0 whistle but then again I don't miss that engine. Some things are best to just be put out to pasture.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I hear ya, I miss that ol 6.0 whistle but then again I don't miss that engine. Some things are best to just be put out to pasture.
I had/have two and while both had to have head studs and egr coolers, I still really like them. The '04 Excursion had just under 250k when we traded it in for the Wife because the horse trailer she was towing has a 1500# tounge weight and no way to add weight distribution so an upgrade to a 350 was in order. The '06 has 147k and is going to my son when I get a new one. I expect it to be a great truck for him for many more years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts