The Diesel Stop banner

Cab Mounts

6K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  cagedtoy 
#1 · (Edited)
Ladies and gents,

I started noticing my doors rattling and squeaks coming from my truck that slowly developed and drove me crazy. After getting under the truck I noticed my cab mounts were SHOT! I did some research and found this is a big issue on these trucks... so I called Ford North America customer service and lodged a complaint.

I was given a case number and was told to take my truck to my local dealer (Ed Sherling of Enterprise, AL. which I DO NOT suggest anyone in the local area use). They ordered six mounts even after I told them all eight were bad. Long story short, Ford replaced all eight mounts and I paid a grand total of $372.00 out of pocket for the new style poly mounts Ford is now using.

Not sure if the community was aware of the assistance Ford was providing due to the multiple complaints of these cab mounts. But guys complain about the $150 set of kevlar mounts being too rough, or taking too long to install, etc. Ford covered over $1100.00 of my repair and the truck rides like stock again and is so much more enjoyable to drive.

My truck is a 2011 F350 KR SRW with 103,000 miles. The newer and lesser milage trucks will pay less, obviously.

Make the call, guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
Great info

#3 ·
Good to see Ford is at least addressing the issue finally. I had the same issue and got a set of polys for about eighty bucks at the direction of one of my Ford tech buddies and he installed them for $200. You don't need to replace the two under the front floorboard he said. Those never flex for some reason.

#5 ·
I also have this issue. Every 15,000 miles when the fuel filters are due to be changed I take the truck to the diesel tech at my local dealership & tell him to go over this truck as if it were his & he was going to keep it forever. I can easily change the filters myself, but I think that 15,000 miles is a good interval for this inspection. I have a long history with this tech & I trust him completely. Well, he gave me the bad news about the cab mount bushings & told me that replacing them could probably wait until the next time I bring the truck in for another inspection. The service writer told me that the total job would cost around $1,600.00, but if I found better bushings at a better price to buy them & they would install them (that was nice). I’m thinking I would stick with Ford bushings just for warranty purposes.
Question: Are the newer replacement cab mount bushings made with better materials now than they were when my truck was built (2013 model)?
Thanks in advance for the help.

#10 ·
They are much better material and the truck still rides the same. Ive heard guys going to the aftermarket bushings complain that the ride is very harsg afterwards. No complaints here.

#9 ·
I paid $372 which was for all eight mounts and install. Push Ford customer service and youll get the same. Screw doing them at home. If a cage nuts breaks youre screwed.

#7 ·
I was given a case number and was told to take my truck to my local dealer (Ed Sherling of Enterprise, AL. which I DO NOT suggest anyone in the local area use). They ordered six mounts even after I told them all eight were bad. Long story short, Ford replaced all eight mounts and I paid a grand total of $372.00 out of pocket for the new style poly mounts Ford is now using.

Make the call, guys!
Can anyone that has done this confirm the new Ford Poly OEM mounts are a different material than our trucks came with from the factory?

Tom

#8 ·
Yes. They are the new poly mounts which are different than the galvanized rubber mounts the truck come stock with. I'm currently in Iraq and havent had a chance to look at mine for the past seven months but my guess is they still look brand new.

#11 ·
Update: YIPPEE!!! With the help of Ford North American Customer Service & financial assistance from Ford I had all 8 of my cab mount bushings replaced on my 2013 F-350 at my local dealership, Silsbee Ford in Silsbee, Texas yesterday. Ford paid 80%. My part was 20% which came out to $197.40. It’s probably important to note that the cost may depend on the age & mileage of our trucks. Mine is 7 years old with only 55,000 miles. I’m not at all sure how this is calculated. Also, I had a little confusion because one of the emails between Ford & the service writer at my dealership mentioned something about warranty. Since my truck is way out of warranty I called & asked about it. The service writer explained that it was Ford’s way of applying legal smoke & mirrors in order for them to appear to be spending less for their part of the repair & that it would actually benefit me as well, which appears to have happened.
The pic shows the cab lifted off of the frame in order to change the bushings. My NFab step bars also had to be temporarily removed. ‘No big deal.
The difference in sound level and ride quality seems to be slight & barely noticeable, but if you read my previous post you will see that the old
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Pickup truck
bushings weren’t totally gone yet & would probably have lasted a few thousand more miles before noticeable problems occurred. As long as Ford was willing to help. I didn’t see any sense in waiting as things could possibly change.
I am a happy boy. ??

#12 ·
‘Sorry about the double pics. ‘Obviously my fault. I guess I’m lucky that the pics posted at all. ☺

#13 ·
So, would bad mounts equate to clunking sounds when going over hard bumps and railroad tracks? My doors squeak and I hear clunks, especially while towing, when hitting hard bumps. If so, since I plan to raise the cab to fix some rust areas, I might as well replace the mounts too.

#14 ·
Yup. That would do it.

#15 ·
Going to make the call to Ford tomorrow. I went to my local dealer today. I am still under Premium ESP until next month. They ran my truck and the mounts are not covered.

Tom

#16 ·
Finally got around to replacing mine, well at least 4 of the 8. Those bolts and a PITA, two cage nuts popped loose so had to gut the interior to get to the top and heat them up and put a socket on them. Finally got 6 of the 8 out, didn't do the #1 mounts, they are still OK, and could not get the middle #3 mounts out, the shells are rusted together and only a torch can get them apart, but the rubber surprisingly, was still solid. The #2 and #4 mounts were the bad ones and those got replaced. Truck feel more solid now, and my doors all shut easily. The one thing still annoying me, the drivers door squeaks just above my shoulder. Have to replace the latch and whatever the other part on the pillar is called. They are worn a bit, and I can feel some looseness in the door.

I can see why they charge so much to replace them, what a pain, but on the plus side, the fact they have never been out in 8 years and 134,000 miles means no major engine work was done.

#17 ·
The one thing still annoying me, the drivers door squeaks just above my shoulder. Have to replace the latch and whatever the other part on the pillar is called. They are worn a bit, and I can feel some looseness in the door.

On my 03 all my doors rubbed. I took off the rubber and ran some round foam inside that round part of the door seal.

I dont remember the exact size but I'm sure a quick search would get you going.

I remember lube was my friend when I did it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.