The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My E99 has always been noisier in the cab than my 97 but yesterday driving on the highway it was unbearable.

Lots of turbo whistle in the dash area even at a steady speed (2-3 psi) which leads me to believe something in the exhaust up front is leaking.

Also the engine noise in general has always been loud compared to the 97. I have researched the Lowe's "peal and stick" and may try that under the dash.

The E99 is almost stock as it does have the gutted EBPV and MBRP 4" exhaust. Also it has the vinyl floor which I think is the main reason it is noisier than the 97 which has carpet.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Check your up pipes for soot.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Going to do the door seal mod with 3/8" tubular foam as well as some "peel and stick" from Lowes on the firewall and floor towards the front. Also the seal at the hood/cowl is marginal so I am going to put some tubing in that as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I want some ideas on this too. My 99 sucks on the highway. My brother has a 96 that's Mich quieter. I did the door seal mod some time last year and all it did was make the doors harder to shut. I don't think it was worth the effort

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The door seal mod with 3/8" rolled foam insulation worked great. Doors close just as easily and sounds like a vault when closed. Cannot pull on the door seams to get any movement as before. I added the same foam to the cowl gasket and that made the biggest difference in cab noise. I have yet to use the "peal and stick" and may end up just returning it.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just realized my E99 came without the intercooler piping insulation. Is there any way to add this or would it be easier to swap with someone who has the insulation and wants to hear more whistle?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Only the drivers side has insulation and that is for heat I believe but I suppose it probably muffles some noise as well. Maybe use header wrap?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All connections look good. It's annoying how much under-the-hood turbo whistle there is when cruising on the highway. The 97 has none of it.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I took our "decommissioned" deck furniture cushions (2 of them) and used the foam inside to try to sound insulate the dash area. The stuff is water/mold repellent as evidence on how new looking the foam was after being inside the cushion for almost 10 years.

I was able to access the dash area through the glove box, radio bezel, and directly under the steering wheel.

It has made a tremendous difference in the amount of noise inside the cab and I was surprised at how much "open space" there is inside the dash (probably for production cost reasons).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts